Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ralink 3090 wifi connect problems in 10.10 64 bit

Beans

Talking Ralink 3090 wifi connect problems in 10.10 64 bit

Hi everyone

I have an HP DV6 3143se which has a Ralink 3090 wifi card in it.the only thing that doesn't work at the moment is the Wifi. I tried installing the Linux backports module, but the trouble is that sometimes, my home wifi network is shown on the list of available networks and most often, it's not.

when the network does show up, and i click on it and enter my WPA2 password, it takes ages to handshake and then it tells me that my password is wrong. the same password works in windows 7 so something's not working.

when i try to disable and re enable wireless network on the network manager applet, i get a Wireless device not ready or Network manager not running message.

Any suggestions would be most welcome as i hate having to depend on my wired ethernet to stay connected.

EDIT
    Thanks all Please follow the method outlined below. Much thanks to Rtomakov for guiding me.

Download new driver from ralink support page (version 2.4.1) and unpack it somewhere (I did it in my Download folder).
    Read README_STA_PCI file - find file config.mk in os/linux folder, open it with gedit and edit lines: -
    HAS_ATE=y (originally was n) -
    HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y (originally was n) -
    HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y (originally was n) and -
    HAS_ANTENNA_DIVERSITY_SUPPORT=y originally was n)

Now, before compile, install via synaptic these packages: build-essential, devscripts and cdbs. * Note : I didn't have to do this, but perhaps you can try it out if you have your wired internet working. Edit is mine, not Rtomakov's. *

Enter DPO_... folder from terminal and do sudo make, and after make finishes (without errors, ignore warnings) do sudo make install. That is it, but it is not over yet. Now open /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (as root) and add at the end: blacklist rt2800pci. Also open (as root) file /etc/modules and add: rt3390sta.

* to do the above, i used the command - gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and - gksudo gedit /etc/modules. Make your edits in gedit, Save them and CLOSE the file to return to the terminal.*

Now, reboot. That should work.
    Last edited by archithcr; November 3rd, 2010 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Solution posted

Beans

Re: Ralink 3090 wifi connect problems in 10.10 64 bit

Anyone with any suggestions?

Atleast the wifi networks are getting shown. But the problem with WPA passwords still remains. If anyone has any tips, it would be great

Beans

Easiest way: download linux drivers for rt3090 from ralink download page (http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2), install it (read how to do that in readme file in driver package) and add "rt3090sta" in /etc/modules file. This card works on ubuntu 10.10 without any problems.
    If installing drivers shows some errors (it shouldnt, but ...), install (via synaptic) these packages:build-essentials, devscripts and cdbs and then try to build driver
    Last edited by rtomakov; October 20th, 2010 at 06:37 AM.

Beans

Problem solved. Sorta.

I Had to remove the 64 bit installation and install 32 bit version of ubuntu 10.10. Wireless works perfect now. must be a 64 bit incompatibility with drivers.

Beans

Wrong!
    ralink driver works on x86_64 version - I have it installed as I described above.

Beans

@rtomakov: Can you please describe how you installed ralink driver or can you share the files?

I'm fighting with rl3090 on HP 4320s for many days now.

• rt3090-dkms package and its manual recompilation does not work.

• ralink driver as you described compiles itself with bunch of warnings, but I get driver for 3090 (and 3390). Nevertheless it still does not work.

On 32-bit platforms everything runs seamlessly. On every 10.10-amd64 the wifi fails.

Beans

Download new driver from ralink support page (version 2.4.1) and unpack it somewhere (I did it in my Download folder). Read README_STA_PCI file - find file config.mk in os/linux folder, open it with gedit and edit lines:
    - HAS_ATE=y (originally was n)
    - HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y (originally was n)
    - HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y (originally was n) and
    - HAS_ANTENNA_DIVERSITY_SUPPORT=y originally was n)

Now, before compile, install via synaptic these packages: build-essential, devscripts and cdbs.

Enter DPO_... folder from terminal and do sudo make, and after make finishes (without errors, ignore warnings) do sudo make install. That is it, but it is not over yet. Now open /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (as root) and add at the end: blacklist rt2800pci. Also open (as root) file /etc/modules and add: rt3390sta.
    Now, reboot. That should work. Write some feedback.

Beans

You are genius!

It's not only working, but the driver (2.4.0.1, I didn't find 2.4.1 on ralink page) is supporting card even better then default driver in 32bit systems. I.e. 1) wifi switch on & off do not kills the card until next reboot and 2) wifi led is just operating like under original suse and not blinking as crazy.

Without your explanation it was not clear even after reading README_STA_pci for the fourth time. Once again many thanks for your help!

Beans

I am glad I could help someone.

Beans

I found something interesting.

There is no rt3090sta nor rt3390sta module loaded to kernel. The card works on rt2680sta module. I see additionally some warnings, I suppose they are because of modprobe'ing rt3390sta driver.

I will do tomorrow some additional checks. I suspect, that if wifi works on rt2860sta module then perhaps it is enough to put "blacklist rt2800pci" in modprobe.d. I need plain installation of ubuntu x64, so i will try to modify usb image for that.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast