Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PSX (Playstation 1) Emulation With PCSX Howto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: PSX (Playstation 1) Emulation With PCSX Howto

u dont need to install it, just extract it then go into the directory and run the pcsx executable
    Jeremy Clarkson - "A Dazzling Hero of Political Incorrectness"
    My LastFM profile
    want to Give each GTK program its own theme? well look Here

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gaav View Post
    Hi, I downloaded the kethipcsx package and configured it, and when I tried to open a cd image (running in graphic mode, clicking the icon) the window opened and then closed. i then tried to run the pcsx file from the terminal and it throws out this error:
    Missing ATI render-texture extension!NVIDIA Corporation
    GeForce FX 5200/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!
    padJoy: could not open /dev/input/js0
    padJoy: pad already initialised
    Then it segfaults

I have the SCPH1000.bin bios, running it from kubuntu drapper 6.06 and I configured the plugins and bios without problems...hope you can help me.
    Code:
    Error: couldn't get fbconfig
    Missing ATI render-texture extension!NVIDIA Corporation
    GeForce FX 5200/AGP/SSE2
    padJoy: could not open /dev/input/js0
    padJoy: pad already initialised
    Segmentation fault
    i get a similar error =\

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

do you have a gamepad plugged in? if not then you need to tell it not to use padjoy in the plugins i think
    Jeremy Clarkson - "A Dazzling Hero of Political Incorrectness"
    My LastFM profile
    want to Give each GTK program its own theme? well look Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Kethinov View Post
    [*]If when you initially launch PCSX it says "PCSX needs to be configured" and then just closes, try running it from the terminal. If the terminal output when it closes says libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory, then you need to apt-get install libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2
    Hi... I'm guessing your build is i386? Apt-get reports no such file available here (all repos enabled). I'm using amd64-k8.

Cheers ... Paul

EDIT: This should be in ia32-libs (which I have)
    Last edited by fabertawe; August 2nd, 2006 at 05:49 PM.
    Ubuntu Guide | Appnr | Linux Commands | Lowfat Linux | Bash A-Z

AMD X2 5600+, Asus M2N-E SLI, 2GB PC6400, MSI 8600GT OC, Ubuntu 9.10 x86_64
    Asus EeePC 4GB, 2GB RAM, Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Talking Re: PSX (Playstation 1) Emulation With PCSX Howto

Ok, we have lift off!

These are the steps I took to get it working on Ubuntu 6.06 amd64-k8...

Unpack Kethinov's package from the first post (here if you're really lazy ), thanks Kethinov

From the directions on this page I downloaded compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.128.i386.rpm and installed the package alien via apt-get...
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install alien
    Turn it into a tarball to be uncompressed with
    Code:
    alien -t compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.128.i386.rpm
    Extract (I did this in Nautilus)
    libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so
    libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
    from the tarball into your pcsx directory.

Next, get the following two packages
    http://packages.debian.org/stable/libs/libglib1.2 i386
    http://packages.debian.org/stable/libs/libgtk1.2 i386
    and extract
    libglib-1.2.so.0
    libglib-1.2.so.0.0.10
    libgmodule-1.2.so.0
    libgmodule-1.2.so.0.0.10
    and
    libgdk-1.2.so.0
    libgdk-1.2.so.0.9.1
    libgtk-1.2.so.0
    libgtk-1.2.so.0.9.1
    respectively into your pcsx directory.

I then made a shell script launcher in the pcsx directory called (surprisingly) pcsx.sh, the contents of which are
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

pcsx_dir=/home/paul/games/emulation/pcsx

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$pcsx_dir:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    cd $pcsx_dir
    exec ./pcsx
    Change 'pcsx_dir' to match your location

Make sure it's executable with
    Code:
    chmod 755 pcsx.sh
    Launch it from the terminal (opened in the pcsx directory in this example)
    Code:
    ./pcsx.sh
    and this way you can check if there are still any problems before you make a launcher.

If you have errors configuring plugins then try
    Code:
    chmod -R 755 cfg*
    from the pcsx directory.

There's probably a more efficient way to do all this but hey, it works for me

A word about Padjoy... I couldn't find much info on the config and found it a little puzzling but got my PSX pad (through a USB converter) working correctly with this padjoy.cfg...
    Code:
    [general]
    pcsx_style      = 1
    use_threads     = 1
    use_analog      = 1
    [pad 1]
    devicefilename  = /dev/input/js0
    minzero = -2500
    maxzero = 2500
    event_l2       = B0P4
    event_r2       = B0P5
    event_l1       = B0P6
    event_r1       = B0P7
    event_triangle = B0P0
    event_circle   = B0P1
    event_cross    = B0P2
    event_square   = B0P3
    event_select   = B0P8
    event_lanalog  = B0P10
    event_ranalog  = B0P11
    event_start    = B0P9
    event_up       = KP"w"
    event_right    = KP"d"
    event_down     = KP"s"
    event_left     = KP"a"
    event_lanax    = X0P0v0
    event_lanay    = X0P1v0
    event_ranax    = X0P3v0
    event_ranay    = X0P2v0
    [macro 1]
    event_launch  = ???
    events        =
    interval      =
    [macro 2]
    event_launch  = ???
    events        =
    interval      =
    [macro 3]
    event_launch  = ???
    events        =
    interval      =
    [pad 2]
    devicefilename  = /dev/input/js0
    minzero = -1250
    maxzero = 1250
    event_l2       = B1P4
    event_r2       = B1P5
    event_l1       = B1P6
    event_r1       = B1P7
    event_triangle = B1P0
    event_circle   = B1P1
    event_cross    = B1P2
    event_square   = B1P3
    event_select   = B1P8
    event_lanalog  = B1P10
    event_ranalog  = B1P11
    event_start    = B1P9
    event_up       = KP"w"
    event_right    = KP"d"
    event_down     = KP"s"
    event_left     = KP"a"
    event_lanax    = X1P0v0
    event_lanay    = X1P1v0
    event_ranax    = X1P3v0
    event_ranay    = X1P2v0
    [macro 1]
    event_launch  = ???
    events        =
    interval      =
    [macro 2]
    event_launch  = ???
    events        =
    interval      =
    [macro 3]
    event_launch  = ???
    events        =
    interval      =
    I have set pad 1 and 2 the same as some games seem to use port 1 and others port 2. I have also set non-analog (not the sticks) movement to use the keyboard otherwise I can't navigate the menus in QuakeII and use the sticks! You can alter the sensitivity of the sticks by changing the values of 'minzero' and 'maxzero'.

I hope this helps someone as it's good to give something back to these wonderful forums!

By the way... pressing F5 toggles 'Sio Irq Always Enabled' in the 'CPU' config which totally disables my contoller when ticked. This had me head scratching for a while!

Cheers ... Paul
    Last edited by fabertawe; August 5th, 2006 at 10:51 AM.
    Ubuntu Guide | Appnr | Linux Commands | Lowfat Linux | Bash A-Z

AMD X2 5600+, Asus M2N-E SLI, 2GB PC6400, MSI 8600GT OC, Ubuntu 9.10 x86_64
    Asus EeePC 4GB, 2GB RAM, Ubuntu 8.04

Beans

Hello, I'm the developer of PCSX-df and the maintainer of the PCSX and PSEmu packages in Debian (I guess no one maintains the Ubuntu ones?).

The really easy way to install it is to use Debian unstable or use Ubuntu edgy, neither of which you probably want to do. They both contain PCSX-df 1.7RC3 packages and plugins.

The PCSX in dapper is broken on Ubuntu because the Ubuntu X developers banished the lndir utility for some reason, which the PCSX environment script requires to use -- classic PCSX does not natively support a multi-user install like PCSX-df, so the script makes a little doghouse for it to live in inside your home directory. No one noticed this when PCSX was pulled into Ubuntu from Debian in the release cycle, I guess.

ePSXe is quite simply crap and shouldn't be used on any remotely modern system.

You can read the blurb about PCSX-df here:
    http://rschultz.ath.cx/code.php

The highlights are: reworked and modernized GTK2/Glade GUI, a sensible plugin scanning system, a functioning gettext implementation, a modern autotooling for easy compiling and installation, GCC4 compatibility, and support for a ~/.pcsx directory for configuration data, and many fixed segfaults and minor performance issues.

PCSX-df is easy to install from source, if you don't want to try to use packages from Edgy or a Ubuntu backports site or something.

sudo apt-get build-dep pcsx-bin
    wget http://rschultz.ath.cx/code/pcsx-df-1.7rc3.tar.gz
    tar xzvf pcsx-df-1.7rc3.tar.gz
    cd pcsx-df-1.7rc3
    ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
    make
    sudo make install

You may want to remove any .pcsx directory in your home directory before running PCSX-df, as it will recreate this in a sane way.

The psemu-plugins that are in Dapper apt should work fine, although the edgy/Debian versions are improved, and the unreleased versions included in the pcsx-df tarball are even better, though they are still under development.

There are many plugins that cannot be included in Debian or Ubuntu due to them being closed source or badly licensed, including the hardware accelerated 3D plugins, the Eternal sound plugin, and the direct CD-ROM play plugin. I've packaged them all anyway >:3 Individual packages are available from http://rschultz.ath.cx/debian.php; just search for "psemu-" on the page and download the .debs directly, rather than adding my archive, which is built for Debian. I suggest: psemu-video-mesagl psemu-video-xgl2 psemu-sound-eternal psemu-drive-cdrom

--------------------------------

Here's the attention deficit version if you don't want to read everything.

1. Install the PCSX and plugins in Dapper.
    sudo apt-get install pcsx

2. Build PCSX-df from source.
    sudo apt-get build-dep pcsx-bin
    wget http://rschultz.ath.cx/code/pcsx-df-1.7rc3.tar.gz
    tar xzvf pcsx-df-1.7rc3.tar.gz
    cd pcsx-df-1.7rc3
    ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
    make
    sudo make install

3. Install plugins not in Debian or Ubuntu.
    wget
    http://rschultz.ath.cx/debian/unstab....41-1_i386.deb
    wget http://rschultz.ath.cx/debian/unstab....75-1_i386.deb
    wget http://rschultz.ath.cx/debian/unstab...5r2-1_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i psemu*.deb

4. Remove any classic PCSX cruft.
    rm -r ~/.pcsx/

5. Enjoy.
    pcsx

It should also be available from your menu.

PCSX-df will automatically detect and pick plugins and you should be able to play right away, though you will almost certainly want to make your own choices. Use CDRmooby for ripped games, and the Linuzappz CD-ROM plugin for playing directly from the drive. Use MesaGL for minimum tweakage, or XGL2 with ATI support off for the best performance and graphics (IMO). Use the ALSA plugin unless the game sounds better with Eternal SPU.

I'll do my best to help with any problems; either email me directly (schultz dot ryan at gmail dot com), reply here, or contact me some other way (http://rschultz.ath.cx/me.php).

If anyone successfully installs PCSX-df from Edgy, please let me know; I dunno if that works, being a Debian guy.

Beans

lndir

Hello all...
    the lndir problem under dapper is rather easy to solve.
    Simply go to the Debian homepage and download xutils_4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge1_i386.deb
    somewhere. You can't install that package via dpkg because there's typically a newer version of xutils installed which unfortunately doesn't include lndir.
    So open xutils_4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge1_i386.deb whith some tar-tool like File-Roller, open the included tar named data and extract the file lndir to usr/bin. If you like you can also extract the man page (put the file called something like lndirx1.tar into some man-folder).
    For me this worked - lndir is now present and the pcsx from the ubuntu-package runs under dapper.
    Unfortunately the only PS-Game I tried didn't run (Spyro The Dragon for PS1).
    There anybody who got that game work?

Beans

Wink Re: PSX (Playstation 1) Emulation With PCSX Howto

Quote Originally Posted by fabertawe View Post
    A word about Padjoy... I couldn't find much info on the config and found it a little puzzling but got my PSX pad (through a USB converter) working correctly with this padjoy.cfg...
    I've just added a paragraph about the codes in the config file in the FAQ page.

Erich aka ammoQ

Beans

Red face odd thing about padJoy

I thought this was a good place to post this since you, the great ammoQ! has recently read this thread! Apparently I'm the only person this is happening to, since I haven't heard anyone else mention it.

padJoy doesn't work for me at all. It opens its preferences window and it will accept my controller input to configure it, but when a game is launched, I get no response from the controller. It's a ps2 controller connected to usb with a very good ps2 -> pc adapter, which is recognized as a generic HID. It works in every other linux game or app I've tried it in.

If I launch a game with padJoy selected for both controllers, I get : padJoy: pad already initialised. If I launch it with padJoy for the first controller and omniJoy with device /dev/null for the second controller, I get no error but the same result. Absolutely no response from the joystick.

omnijoy will allow me to use my controller but it nearly immediately goes 'haywire' in-game, spastically moving around for no apparent reason. Both padJoy and omnijoy cause the main pcsx window to appear to lock up and not update video.

I'm using the pcsx-df fork, padJoy 0.8 (both precompiled and self-compiled). It just seems a bit odd to me. All is not lost, however, as I was able to get *some* controller support working. xjoypad saves the day!! I set omnijoy to use the keyboard and use xjoypad to emulate keyboard strokes, then everything works smoothly.

Just thought you should know! Plus, I'd really like to try padJoy's analog controller support.

Thanks for your time.

edit: forgot to mention that I'm in Dapper. Also, I wanted to point out my main ponderances here:

* Why does padJoy recognize my controller but then apparently not work in-game? (is it locking up?)

* Why does omnijoy go 'insane' in-game with my controller, but works fine with the keyboard?

* Why does omnijoy go 'insane' when using my controller, but xjoypad does not?

It's a mystery!
    Last edited by antivert; September 25th, 2006 at 04:10 AM. Reason: forgot to mention...

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi!

I finally got PSX to work well... only to find it didn't actually work very well. I have tried both the version automatically "given" by synaptic package manager and the kethipcsx. The one from synaptic causes twitchy sound and video but the kethipcsx works fine. Both have one major problem with me, though. Neither one can use memory cards. Has anyone else experienced any problems with them? When I tried to save the game (which happened to be Final Fantasy Tactics if that is any help) the emulator freaks out and corrupts the memory card. When I checked it on the configs there appeared to be something written in the first block. The entire card is now unreadable in the game, however. Could anyone assist?

Thank you!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast