Thread: Wireless USB dongles compatible with Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wireless USB dongles compatible with Ubuntu?

I want to get a USB wireless dongle/card for my desktop computer (running 10.04). But before I part with my hard-earned pieces of eight, I want to be sure that it will work with Ubuntu. So here I am, to pick your brains.

There is a Maplin store near where I live, so I prefer going there rather than buying mail order. I looked at the Maplin website this morning, did a search for "USB wifi dongles" and I saw these: the Belkin 150 (£19.99); the WB 300N (£19.99); a no-name "300Mbps N Wi-Fi USB Dongle (£24.99; the Belkin Surf USB Dongle (£24.99); the WB 54g USB Wi-Fi Dongle (only £14.99??); the Netgear N150 Wireless USB Adapter (£19.99)... I could go one, but I'm sure you see that there are a lot of USB wireless adapters out there well suited for cheapskates like me.

So, I'd really appreciate it if you could give the Maplin search results a quick scan and advise me as to which adapters will work with Ubuntu, and those that won't. Thanks! Oh, and don't forget I'm a cheapskate. The cheaper, the better... so long as the thing works!
    Last edited by t0p; October 18th, 2010 at 01:09 PM.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4
    blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Wireless USB dongles compatible with Ubuntu?

Hello,

I see you still use Hardy Heron.
    Since HH the wifi situation in Ubuntu has very much improved.
    I have to wifi sticks, the first one did not work at all in HH, and is a 54MBPS 11G wireless adapter, as I remember, needing a madwifi driver. In later Ubuntu's (don't remember from which version, think KK) it worked flawlessly.
    Sorry I don't remember which chipset it has.

The other one is very much newer, 150 MBPS 150N version with an AR9271 chipset from Atheros, needing a ath9k_htc driver. This one doesn't work at all in (a fully updated) Lucid Lynx, but I am very happy to report it does work very well in the Maverick Meerkat!

I think, but am not sure, that you are pretty safe with a 11G version of wifi, but have to be very carefull with the newer N versions.

That is: if you use a newer Ubuntu. I think in HH it is quite hopeless, this (from my experiences) being the wifi dark Middle Ages (or rather )

Succes,

Topsiho
    Last edited by Topsiho; October 18th, 2010 at 01:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I suppose it depends what chips are in these dongles.
    IIRC anything with an Atheros chip needed madwi-fi to work in HH.
    I still need the proprietary driver with Broadcom chips in 10.04.
    Not much help am I?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Topsiho View Post
    I see you still use Hardy Heron.
    Thanks for the speedy response, Topshiho.

I don't use Hardy any more. I installed Lucid just now, so I am now up to date (in LTS terms). The dark ages are over!
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4
    blog