Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Install Ubuntu to dual boot with win7, bitlocker and TPM?

Beans

Re: Install Ubuntu to dual boot with win7, bitlocker and TPM?

After reconsidering, I am aware that there are applications (esp. security) that write to the MBR. I can't say if the Win 7 encryption program is one of these, but that info should be readily available on the web. If that's the case, then the procedure to follow is to install Win 7 and then write the MBR to a file for restore. Install Ubuntu next, and then restore the MBR from your file. You will then need to chain Grub2 to the Win 7 boot loader to be able to dual boot. I believe the specifics about doing this are on the Ubuntu documents on the web under Grub2.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cybergnome View Post
    It's mostly an aesthetic issue, IMO.
    I just want to follow up with a comment to this particular thought should someone else be researching Ubuntu and Windows7/Vista/Bitlocker. If you want to use Vista/Win7 with Bitlocker, and dual boot Ubuntu (or whatever other OS), Windows must have control of the MBR. GRUB cannot. It is not an aesthetic issue. My experience is with the TPM chip - I do not know if it matters without the TPM chip.

During the startup process, the TPM releases the key that unlocks the encrypted partition only after comparing a hash of important operating system configuration values with a snapshot taken earlier. This verifies the integrity of the Windows startup process. The key is not released if the TPM detects that your Windows installation has been tampered with.
    From Windows Bitlocker FAQ.
    Last edited by pwrstick; November 10th, 2010 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Wording clarification.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cybergnome View Post
    ...I believe the specifics about doing this are on the Ubuntu documents on the web under Grub2.
    Here is Microsoft's suggestion for dual booting Vista/Bitlocker with Linux. Note the comments at the link for using Win7.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12