Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The best way to Install Linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: The best way to Install Linux

The x1.5 /x2 RAM thing is in my opinion out of date.

LOL...you will never need 5GB of SWAP, 1GB is more than enough.
    Would not be so funny if you had 3Gb of RAM and then hibernated with only 1Gb swap.

I have swap=RAM at the moment.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by bprins View Post
    But does the factor 2 stays "valid"?

Like, if you have 6GB memory, would it still be "better" to have 12GB of swap? Or does it get a bit over the top then?
    If you're running or working on lots of applications that require more RAM then it could be good idea but if you're a light user and use your PC/Laptop for browsing, etc then perhaps you don't need to double that (12GB).

As I mentioned in my previous post, it depends on your usage.
    The only one who knows about the main usage of your machine is you

Once, I asked Ubuntu to install itself on an entire disk and I did not used Manual Installation. I found out when the installation is done that SWAP is less than 1GB even though I have 2GB of RAM. So, it wasn't double. When I install Manually, I prefer 4GB.
    There's no harm in my opinion to allocate more space for SWAP but it could be a bit of a problem when you allocate say 500MB of SWAP while you have 1GB of RAM.
    Again, I think 1.5x or 2.0x is more academic/general than particle.

Again, it's all depends on your hardware specifications + your daily usage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by krishnandu.sarkar View Post
    if you have 4GB of RAM then 512MB Swap is just fine
    I tend to disagree with that.
    As mentioned already, when you choose "Hibernate" and you have 512MB of SWAP, then it would look really ugly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I get the SWAP thing then, it's essentially just some extra space for your RAM to allocate resources when it gets overloaded. A very nice idea really.

Now if you assume 2 partitions for "/" and "/home" how easy is it to reinstall Linux on the root partition? Are there any points you would need to consider, or would a flat re-install while leaving /home alone leave all your files in-tact and assessable?
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Google-d a bit on the subject. And indeed, 6GB ram doesn't require 12GB of swap. But it remains a vague subject to me.

As far as I understand it now, you can never reserve "too much" for the swap partition. Rather have a few GBs saved for swap, since disks are over sized anyway (like, 1TB disks are more or less becoming the standard for new PCs). Rather throw away a bit of disk size, then having the risk (even when it's a small risk) to crash my laptop/PC, right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by forestpiskie View Post
    The x1.5 /x2 RAM thing is in my opinion out of date.
    I do agree with that.
    In my opinion, they should say: it depends on your daily usage + your hardware specifications.

For example: if someone has 8GB of RAM, I don't think x2 or even x1.5 is good idea. It won't harm, yes but it's unnecessary step.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    I tend to disagree with that.
    As mentioned already, when you choose "Hibernate" and you have 512MB of SWAP, then it would look really ugly.
    Ya that's not sufficient if anyone opts for Hibernation. I specified that space guessing without Hibernation.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Legeril View Post
    Now if you assume 2 partitions for "/" and "/home" how easy is it to reinstall Linux on the root partition? Are there any points you would need to consider, or would a flat re-install while leaving /home alone leave all your files in-tact and assessable?
    If you reinstall with a seperate /home choose Manual/Advanced partitioning - set the mount points and make sure to NOT format the /home partition.

If you reinstall without a seperate /home choose Manual/Advanced partitioning - set the mount points and make sure NOT to format the / partition and the existing /home will remain as it is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Legeril View Post
    I get the SWAP thing then, it's essentially just some extra space for your RAM to allocate resources when it gets overloaded. A very nice idea really.

That's what I have here.

Yes, you can reinstall linux leaving your /home partition unchanged.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by krishnandu.sarkar View Post
    Ya that's not sufficient if anyone opts for Hibernation. I specified that space guessing without Hibernation.
    Then make sure your sweeping statements sweep it all up next time

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast