Thread: Because we had power, we thought we had wisdom.

Beans

Because we had power, we thought we had wisdom.

I hope this is the place to discuss off-topic things. I have laryngitis have been told to take a day off work (today) and rest my voice and continue not talking (even whispering) aloud for 3 days (so I won't be talking aloud to anyone until Monday [at the earliest]).

So I thought typing here would help me in the way that I'm not talking aloud to people and atleast I can communicate in some way. Because, believe it or not, when you don't talk to people, even when people are around, it kinda puts your mind in a state as if you were still in an empty room by yourself.

Anyways, on to my off topic discussion, in the title.

A police officer pulled me over and asked me if I knew what I did wrong. I told him I didn't, and he told me that I was going through a yellow light, it turned red at some point, and that all the police officers were having this yellow light campaign, where they pull people over and warn them [may have been a state wide police yellow light campaign]. They weren't ticketing, just warning.

Subconsciously I realized yesterday that this made me drive less safely than what I did before. When I see a green light, and know I have plenty of room between me and the car ahead, I will actually speed up just because the light is green. Let's say the speed limit on a road is 55 mph and I am only traveling 40 mph approaching the green light. If I see I have room to speed up then I do - I was thinking I can legally gun it all the way up to 55 mph without exceeding the speed limit.

This may seem at first that it's still safe because I'm not putting the car in front of me at risk as I know I have PLENTY of room to speed up and slow down before I get to that vehicle. However, there can be cars stopped in the opposite direction, who also have the green light, that are looking for an opening to legally turn left onto another road. My speeding up as I have been doing probably does not work itself into the mind of the person trying to cross over. Most don't expect this type of speeding up to occur when they're trying to legally cross over.

What I'm doing is probably considered reckless driving and still illegal, so I am going to stop doing it now.

But this is somehow an example, in my mind, where someone in authority thinks they are telling you [warning you] not to break the rules [that you didn't know you even broke initially] and then you subconsciously start attempting to make sure you get through a green light before the yellow light [the yellow light being the trigger you are now trying to avoid].

I think people in authority need to think out how they are going to or should apply their authority to others. Just because someone has authority and can micromanage everyone else to not break rules, doesn't mean they should think out how they should use their authority to stop all rule breaking including small rule breaking.

There is an old saying, which is "Because we had power, we thought we had wisdom."

One analogy: A teacher has authority to make students follow a lot of rules. However, the teacher should [in my opinion] treat all the students as the teacher would wanted to be treated, and not be an a-hole and make students uncomfortable by making them follow each rule and applying discipline to them each time they break each and every little rule. With the teacher analogy, no one is at risk of physical hurt like reckless driving; however, teachers do affect many many lives that are under their control. A teacher has a lot of mental power that works its way into the mentality of a lot of young minds and a teacher never knows how exponentially their actions can ripple through and beyond the moment [i.e. teacher does this, students think about it, student grows up and retells story to adults, then some adults that hear the story become very anti-teacher].

No one knows how and how far the rippling affect of their decisions will ripple on into the future.
    Last edited by mjp29; October 16th, 2009 at 05:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Because we had power, we thought we had wisdom.

Sorry that you're sick. I've been a little bit sick most of the week but I feel a lot better now. Hopefully the forums can provide you with some stimulating conversation.

As for the driving thing, I don't think that what you described could be considered wreckless driving. If you are under the speed limit you should be fine. Lights are supposed to be timed to give you enough time to stop when you are going the speed limit or slower. There should be some "prepare to stop" signs/lights to help you stop in the case that you need more warning than the stop light itself can provide.

That is rather annoying that the police are pulling people over for things that aren't against the law. Lights intentionally have a delay after one light turns green and the next light turns red to prevent people from driving through the intersection when it's not their turn. It's good that the police are concerned for the safety of people, but there are better ways to go about it than wasting a person's most important resource, time.

Edit: Wow. I totally slaughtered that. I meant to say it couldn't be considered wreckless driving.
    Last edited by Crunchy the Headcrab; October 16th, 2009 at 05:47 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy the Headcrab View Post
    Sorry that you're sick. I've been a little bit sick most of the week but I feel a lot better now. Hopefully the forums can provide you with some stimulating conversation.

As for the driving thing, I don't thin that what you described could be considered wreckless driving. If you are under the speed limit you should be fine. Lights are supposed to be timed to give you enough time to stop when you are going the speed limit or slower. There should be some "prepare to stop" signs/lights to help you stop in the case that you need more warning than the stop light itself can provide.

That is rather annoying that the police are pulling people over for things that aren't against the law. Lights intentionally have a delay after one light turns green and the next light turns red to prevent people from driving through the intersection when it's not their turn. It's good that the police are concerned for the safety of people, but there are better ways to go about it than wasting a persons most important resource, time.
    Thanks for your kindness and support. My only thought is the question, is it possible to maintain control of your vehicle and not drive recklessly. For example, if the speed limit is 55mph and I decide to do a burn out from the start by flooring my pedal, yet I maintain control [this time] and don't exceed 55mph and keep the vehicle going in a straight line, then perhaps isn't that still illegal cause it could be considered reckless driving in the sense that it is reckless because not every time people burn out do they maintain control of staying in their lane.

Thanks so much for your reply and helping me stimulate my thought.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I guess I am the same way, but only at certain intersections, mostly due to high traffic and getting stuck in the middle of the intersection. I tend to slow down when I get close to those intersections since I know the lights are short and I don't want to get stuck in the middle when traffic piles up.

Beans

the whole point of the amber light is to warn you it will be turning red, if it turns amber and you cant stop in time carry on, its more dangerous slamming on the brakes, and then getting rear ended by the car behind, so i dont really know what the police were thinking.

im not sure about the laws in the US but for cars turning left surely the onus is on them to make sure it is safe to cross the oncoming traffic.
    Check out my little app. Tnote

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The whole policy is ridiculous.

Encouraging people to brake hard rather than cruise through amber lights is ridiculous and dangerous.

Accelerating to make it through a light is perhaps not in the spirit of the law, but is hardly reckless.

I'm impressed at the thought in your post, though.... I'd have just ranted about police wasting their time stopping law-abiding citizens instead of trying to catch criminals.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by benj1 View Post
    im not sure about the laws in the US but for cars turning left surely the onus is on them to make sure it is safe to cross the oncoming traffic.
    Indeed.

I don't know the definition of reckless driving where you live. It is different from state to state. Here reckless driving is driving 15+ over the speed limit (might be 20), having a certain number of traffic violations in a short amount of time, and/or having wanton disrespect for the safety of others.

I got a warning once for burnout in my home town (years and years ago) and they called it "Unnecessary display of speed." I got away with a warning.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy the Headcrab View Post
    Indeed.

I don't know the definition of reckless driving where you live. It is different from state to state. Here reckless driving is driving 15+ over the speed limit (might be 20), having a certain number of traffic violations in a short amount of time, and/or having wanton disrespect for the safety of others.

I got a warning once for burnout in my home town (years and years ago) and they called it "Unnecessary display of speed." I got away with a warning.
    im in the uk.
    i don't think we have 'reckless driving' but driving without due care and attention instead, which is much more of a catch all i suppose, we also have speeding laws aswell of course
    Check out my little app. Tnote