Page 25 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Thread: New music player - Exaile!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: New music player - Exaile!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogart
    I updated from svn and the CPU usage problem is fixed. Thanks !
    Yes! Just built the latest SVN and suddenly COU usage is down to around 20% regardless of the Exaile UI being visible or minimized to tray. Exaile seems to use around 7 to 12% (on my 900MHz box) which is very good for a python program I guess. Thanks synic, Exile's level of awesomeness is getting higher by the day
    topyli

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Synic - have you ever looked into using Psyco to improve performance in Exaile? I've heard it can work "miracles" in speeding up python code.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by INMCM
    Synic - have you ever looked into using Psyco to improve performance in Exaile? I've heard it can work "miracles" in speeding up python code.
    For what I've heard, Psyco improves performance (sometimes dramatically), but it uses more RAM and is a bit less stable. Given the nature of Exaile, I don't think that performance (meaning runtime speed) is as important as RAM usage or stability.

However, it's said to be very easy to use (no code changes, AFAIK) so nothing is lost by trying it, I guess...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by INMCM
    I just put it in, so if you want to update and try it out...

Beans
    Hidden!

Now using 0.2 deb, and already a lot of things fixed from old binary release.

Tab fetching is the bomb, even if it doesn't always work. I find if I rename the tags for title and album, it will sometimes work, but often still not.

I seem to remember you said the API situation was poor with fretplay, does this explain the searching problem? Could it be that there are tabs for the songs and the API fails to corrolate them with the search? I know fretplay has a lot more metallica than anything, (One of the guys behind the site is a huge metallica buff and runs encyclopedia metallica (encycmet)). As a result I get tabs for most any Metallica song I have.

Are you still using fretplay?

One more thing for now, is it possible to have the track information tab refresh when a new song starts? You have to close the tab and open a new one for info on the new song.

Lovin' the (AFAIK) first ever tab fetching music player

Beans

deleted
    Last edited by AThomsen; June 19th, 2006 at 07:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Very good work, Exaile runs very stable here and has some great features!
    Quote Originally Posted by nalmeth
    One more thing for now, is it possible to have the track information tab refresh when a new song starts? You have to close the tab and open a new one for info on the new song.
    That's what I would like to see, too. It would be much more convenient that way, I think.

Another useful feature which I use in Amarok all the time are custom dynamic playlists with filters like "all songs with a rating of higher than X".

Exaile is already the best non-KDE player, and it's pretty damn close to Amarok.

Very well done, keep it up!

Beans
    Hidden!

synic, another thing.

for the dependencies you have described to install before the .deb, libgstreamer0.10 and libgstreamer0.10-plugins-good don't exist.

Code:
    sdcb@vaiobuntu:~$ apt-cache search libgstreamer
    libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0 - GStreamer libraries from the "base" set
    libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev - GStreamer development files for libraries from the "base" set
    libgstreamer0.10-0 - Core GStreamer libraries and elements
    libgstreamer0.10-0-dbg - Core GStreamer libraries and elements
    libgstreamer0.10-dev - GStreamer core development files
    libgstreamer-gconf0.8-0 - GConf support for GStreamer
    libgstreamer-gconf0.8-dev - Development files for GConf support for GStreamer
    libgstreamer-plugins0.8-0 - Various GStreamer libraries and library plugins
    libgstreamer-plugins0.8-dev - Development files for various GStreamer library and library plugins
    libgstreamer0.8-0 - Core GStreamer libraries, plugins, and utilities
    libgstreamer0.8-dev - GStreamer development libraries and headers
    libgstreamer0.8-ruby - GStreamer 0.8 bindings for the Ruby language
    Should the items in bold be installed? What functionality does this add? Exaile seems to run fine without (same situation on my PC, all repositories are enabled BTW).

EDIT: Funny, I already have the items in bold installed. Might just want to adjust your dependency directions
    Last edited by nalmeth; June 18th, 2006 at 06:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't like the Last.fm player, so I'm using Lastfmproxy so I can listen to my Last.fm stations with *cough*Exaile!*cough* my favorite player.

By adding the lastfmproxy URL and a dummy URL (localhost:1881/skip) into my Last.fm station in Exaile, I can skip songs. (pressing "next track" twice). However, it might be nice to include proper last.fm playback support with all the functions: skip, ban, love at least.

Might actually be pretty easy by cannibalizing code from the LastamaroK plugin, which is itself based on lastfmproxy
    topyli

Beans

Have you thought about equalizer? This is one of the crucial reasons for me to use amaroK.
    -- sergey

Page 25 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast