Page 92 of 121 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast

Thread: New music player - Exaile!

Beans

Re: New music player - Exaile!

Quote Originally Posted by jbysmith View Post
    Have a silly question.

Fixed a couple of minor quirks by updating to the current version from the Exaile repository. (Wish Ubuntu would update theirs, was trying to figure out the coverart/OSD thing till I saw the newer version.. and I love the feature where it grabs coverart automatically by a filename. Migrated from Windows a while back,and pointed it to the existing folder images)

The one thing about Amarok that I like over Exaile is that I can start it up minimized to the tray. Is that currently possible with Exaile? (Just a minor thing, I'm sticking with Exaile regardless, works great)

Thanks
    It certainly is, add the --start-minimized option to the command you use to start it.
    "Whoever said sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain." - K. Jackson
    Exaile Media Player | Arch Linux
    Click here to have your brain eaten

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Is there anyway to track why crashes occur? I've noticed that sometimes when I use Exaile the music stops and the window is gone (I'm guessing it crashed). Is there an error log output somewhere?
    "I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"
    Desktop: Ubuntu 9.10, Windows XP
    Laptop: Ubuntu 9.10, Windows Vista (soon to be replaced by Windows 7)
    n800: Diablo/Maemo 4 (one day Mer..)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Depressed Man View Post
    Is there anyway to track why crashes occur? I've noticed that sometimes when I use Exaile the music stops and the window is gone (I'm guessing it crashed). Is there an error log output somewhere?
    yes, in ~/.exaile/exaile.log

you usually get better feedback by running it in a terminal and looking at the output though.
    "Whoever said sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain." - K. Jackson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I've spent couple of months searching for a decent audio player for my ubuntu system. I needed a player/collection manager, so I tried Rhythmbox (too simple), Banshee (simple & buggy), Listen (sloooow and kept crashing) and others, but then turned back to Rhythmbox because I thought exaile was just the same (it's only in 0.2 stage!).
    Yesterday I decided to give it a shot (after reading this thread and an article on the web), and I was positively surprised!!

It's very fast, practically bugless, works with keytouch, last.fm, has a great way of sorting music and has lots of useful plugins.

I only encountered 2 problems so far:
    1) Alarm Clock plugin doesn't seem to work. I tried with closed, trayed and open window (always with music stopped), but it just doesn't start...

2) DAP device keeps creating problems. I have a Cowon iAudio X5 30GB media player with almost 6000 songs on it. It takes Exaile couple of minutes to load them each time I plug in the player, and after that the songs (album, artist or genre style) aren't listed. I have to manually search for a certain artist/album, and even when Exaile lists search results, they're still buggy (right click doesn't work, duplicate entries, tag editing freezes,...) The entire Exaile freezes (or almost) after couple of songs...

I also have a couple of suggestions (from mediamonkey and my own ideas):
    1) is it possible to rename filenames of songs based on their tags (ATM, only the reverse option is available)?

2) could more websites be added to coverart search (for example, last.fm)? That would be really helpful for non-english-speaking nations (my country's artists don't sell albums on amazon )

3) when adding tags from filenames, only a couple of options are included. Could a "manual" option be added where you create your own tag style?

Anyway, kudos to developer(s) you've made a great player! I've already uninstalled Rhythmbox and moved to Exaile
    Thank you guys

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by damien37 View Post
    I've spent couple of months searching for a decent audio player for my ubuntu system. I needed a player/collection manager, so I tried Rhythmbox (too simple), Banshee (simple & buggy), Listen (sloooow and kept crashing) and others, but then turned back to Rhythmbox because I thought exaile was just the same (it's only in 0.2 stage!).
    Yesterday I decided to give it a shot (after reading this thread and an article on the web), and I was positively surprised!!

It's very fast, practically bugless, works with keytouch, last.fm, has a great way of sorting music and has lots of useful plugins.

I only encountered 2 problems so far:
    1) Alarm Clock plugin doesn't seem to work. I tried with closed, trayed and open window (always with music stopped), but it just doesn't start...

2) DAP device keeps creating problems. I have a Cowon iAudio X5 30GB media player with almost 6000 songs on it. It takes Exaile couple of minutes to load them each time I plug in the player, and after that the songs (album, artist or genre style) aren't listed. I have to manually search for a certain artist/album, and even when Exaile lists search results, they're still buggy (right click doesn't work, duplicate entries, tag editing freezes,...) The entire Exaile freezes (or almost) after couple of songs...

I also have a couple of suggestions (from mediamonkey and my own ideas):
    1) is it possible to rename filenames of songs based on their tags (ATM, only the reverse option is available)?

2) could more websites be added to coverart search (for example, last.fm)? That would be really helpful for non-english-speaking nations (my country's artists don't sell albums on amazon )

3) when adding tags from filenames, only a couple of options are included. Could a "manual" option be added where you create your own tag style?

Anyway, kudos to developer(s) you've made a great player! I've already uninstalled Rhythmbox and moved to Exaile
    Thank you guys
    Great to hear you like it! You should file bug reports on launchpad about those two problems. As for your suggestions, someone was talking about maybe doing 2, 3 can be done (click the + next to the box), and 1 is certainly possible. Again, just file your requests on launchpad, that way we can keep track of them.

Beans

A Q about Exaile!... Is there or will there be and equalizer for it? I like the app a lot so far, but the Eq thing is holding me back from testing it even further.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by PsycoGeek View Post
    A Q about Exaile!... Is there or will there be and equalizer for it? I like the app a lot so far, but the Eq thing is holding me back from testing it even further.
    You mean... something like...

this?

(On Feisty you need Reacocard's Gstreamer packages, on Gutsy you should have the equalizer enabled by default; same thing goes for Arch Linux... Exaile working perfectly there, with equalizer enabled by default, too)
    N800 in my pocket, Acer 1410 in my backpack, Thinkpad X31 on a shrine

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Onyros View Post
    (On Feisty you need Reacocard's Gstreamer packages, on Gutsy you should have the equalizer enabled by default; same thing goes for Arch Linux... Exaile working perfectly there, with equalizer enabled by default, too)
    Just got those gstreamer packages installed. Equalizer works very well for me, but since upgrading to those new packages I've noticed a considerable drop in bass tones by default. Did something fundamental change for that to have happened? On one hand I'm sort of tempted to downgrade, but on the other hand I don't want to lose the equalizer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xat_ View Post
    Just got those gstreamer packages installed. Equalizer works very well for me, but since upgrading to those new packages I've noticed a considerable drop in bass tones by default. Did something fundamental change for that to have happened? On one hand I'm sort of tempted to downgrade, but on the other hand I don't want to lose the equalizer.
    This is believed to be a gstreamer issue, it actually drops volume across all ranges, not sure why it only does bass for you. This might be fixed in newer releases of gstreamer, but I don't know. Apps that do not use the EQ shouldn't be affected.

Beans

Yes indeed I noticed a volume drop overall but for some reason it seems as if bass tones were affected the most. :S

Page 92 of 121 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast