Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Missing some steps in getting my website live

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Missing some steps in getting my website live

I'd suggest you use Webmin. It's like CPanel, except it's better, and the free GPL version isn't that slimmed down compared to the pro version (it's nearly the same actually). It'll setup a lot of this for you automatically, and the rest you can configure a lot more easily because it has a web interface.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by James78 View Post
    I'm interested in the configuration you have for that.
    I use an ancient store-and-forward SMTP proxy called Obtuse SMTPD. It has the ability to accept or deny SMTP connections based on the sender and recipient addresses and the sending SMTP server. I have rules that block any mail from servers whose hostnames contain strings like "ppp" or "dhcp" or "dynamic". I also have rules that require mail from places like paypal.com to come from an SMTP server in the paypal.com domain. This cuts down on phishing attacks.

My current ruleset runs over 2,000 lines (including both whitelist and blacklist entries) yet it does not slow down SMTP exchanges much at all.

Spamassassin also has rules for handling messages from servers with dynamic addresses. Any system using DNSBL blocklists can implement this as well.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; October 19th, 2010 at 04:27 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Heh, ya, I already made my own configuration. I haven't seen a single spam email get past the first filter lol. Ya gotta love these RBL's. (I took dnsbl.sorbs.net off, because it was rarely rejecting authentic email, for example, from Hotmail, but these rules should reject 90% of spam anyways)
    Code:
    # Security related config
    smtpd_helo_required = yes
    disable_vrfy_command = yes
    smtpd_helo_restrictions =
        permit_mynetworks,
        reject_non_fqdn_hostname,
        reject_invalid_hostname
    smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
        permit_mynetworks,
        permit_sasl_authenticated,
        reject_unauth_destination,
        reject_invalid_hostname,
        reject_unauth_pipelining,
        reject_non_fqdn_hostname,
        reject_non_fqdn_sender,
        reject_unknown_sender_domain,
        reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
        reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
        reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net,
        reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org,
        reject_rbl_client combined.njabl.org,
        reject_rbl_client bhnc.njabl.org,
        reject_rhsbl_client rhsbl.sorbs.net,
        reject_rbl_client dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net,
        reject_rbl_client web.dnsbl.sorbs.net
        reject_rbl_client zombie.dnsbl.sorbs.net
        reject_rbl_client dnsbl.ahbl.org,
        reject_rhsbl_client rhsbl.ahbl.org
        permit

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jshaw22 View Post
    Update. Okay, so I got my website live but I still don't know how to use that nameserver stuff.

What I did was just use my dynamic IP and put it into the Total DNS control. I guess as long as i don't shut down my computer it's all good.

I then put my index.html along with some other files in the 'htdocs' file in my Apache software. I just wanted to view my website live from another computer and got what I achieved. Thanks for all the help. Hopefully my ISP doesn't catch me hosting...

BTW related question, and dunno if this belong's here or a new topic: How can I get email? Any quick-n-dirty methods? like admin@example.com

thanks!
    Use Postfix (mail server) for emailing and Dovecot (imap, pop3, etc) for client access. You'll probably want to use a relay for Postfix, because, like I said earlier, sending mail from a dynamic IP isn't a good idea. I'm sure dyndns allows MX records.. But you might have to pay for that specific service :/ . Anyways, that link I gave you about BIND is very helpful for when trying to understand how to setup DNS, in fact, it practically gives you the instructions on how to make a domain name point to you, although remember that if you're on a dynamic IP, and it keeps changing, then you'd have to keep changing the IP with your domain name provider, of course, places like DynDNS have programs that'll automatically update your IP to their DNS, and keep it pointing to you, but that's not a "real" domain name then again

You could point godaddy to your automatic updating DNS, but I can't live with thinking it's not going directly too me, performance stuff keeps going through my head. Anyways, there's many options, it'd take too long to list them all! A bottom line is, you really don't need to do BIND if you're not using your own domain name, e.g. letting DynDNS take care of the DNS for you. Some of these services even let you buy a domain name with them, and they host the DNS for you. I'm sure you'll find what best fits you.

P.S. Sorry for the long post. Oh, and somehow I got stuck on DynDNS even though you clearly stated it's totalDNS, >.<
    Last edited by James78; October 19th, 2010 at 07:07 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12