Thread: Internal MIC fix for Acer Aspire 6930, 6930G and maybe other Aspire laptops

Beans

Lightbulb Internal MIC fix for Acer Aspire 6930, 6930G and maybe other Aspire laptops

Hi Everybody,

This was posted as a reply to another thread but i tought it might help others who have a problem with the internal mic , so i'm posting it here as a separate thread.

If the moderator finds that it is not needed you are free to delete it.

For a very long time i was trying everything to make internal MIC work on my laptop (Aspire 6930g)

Did all the possible input in /etc/modprobe.d/alsabase.conf and NOTHING worked.

All i can hear from the internal MIC was a static noise (it's a digital stereo microphone in those laptops).

So, here it is the fix for it.

It is guaranteed to work with "Vanilla" Maverick Meerkat and Lucid Lynx and probably with Karmic etc with ALSA 1.0.22 or later.

You DO NOT HAVE to edit anything in /etc/modprobe.d/alsabase.conf BUT if you want you can input options snd-hda-intel model=auto (with me it works better with model=auto or acer-aspire-6530g).

You have to EDIT as root

gksudo gedit /etc/pulse/daemon.conf
    Find in it:

;default-sample-format = s16le
    ;default-sample-rate = 41600
    ;default-sample-channels = 2
    ;default-channel-map = front-left,front-right

and make it like this:

default-sample-format = s16le
    default-sample-rate = 48000
    default-sample-channels = 6
    ; default-channel-map = front-left,front-right
    IMPORTANT : REMOVE the ; in front of the first 3 lines

SAVE, Reboot and that's it.

It should work now.

It took me 2 months to realize that this was the problem since pulseaudio is poorly documented (or i could not find any on those settings)

Now with default-sample-rate = 48000 there is only a little static on the internal MIC so maybe someone could suggest better sample-rate??

I am glad if this is going to help anyone.

With those settings Ubuntu MAverick (thats what i got is 100% compatible with this laptop)

Just as a small note that DSDT needs to be fixed on it for the battery to be corectly recognized (but that is another story).

So if it helps, post your results for me and others to know.

Take care ,

mtnova
    Last edited by mtnova; October 16th, 2010 at 10:11 PM.

Beans

Re: Internal MIC fix for Acer Aspire 6930, 6930G and maybe other Aspire laptops

Is it safe to try the same for Lenovo ThinkPad Edge? My internal microphone is not working in new Ubuntu.

Beans

No danger,

Try and let us know

mtnova

Beans

Hello.
    I made the changes you suggest in the conf of pulse, even though my laptop is a Lenovo G560.
    Unfortunately nothing changed, my internal mic is still not working.
    I should say that the mic initially was working on Ubuntu maverick.
    I had to add a line in alsa-base in order to make the headphones input stop the external volume of the laptop, which didn't occur by default, and then I've lost the mic. Even if i go back to the previous configuration the mic remains mute.
    Thanks in advance for any eventual help.
    Luc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I was having trouble using Team Speak 3 with my laptop, (I would deafen my friends with static) but this method fixed it perfectly, I still need to play around with the amplification of the microphone input, otherwise perfect solution.

Thank you kindly

Beans

hi there im having the same problem trying to fix my mic
    but i have no idea how to fix it didnt understand anything u wrote lol
    any chance of any help please??
    im runing windows vista
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtnova View Post
    Hi Everybody,

This was posted as a reply to another thread but i tought it might help others who have a problem with the internal mic , so i'm posting it here as a separate thread.

If the moderator finds that it is not needed you are free to delete it.

For a very long time i was trying everything to make internal MIC work on my laptop (Aspire 6930g)

Did all the possible input in /etc/modprobe.d/alsabase.conf and NOTHING worked.

All i can hear from the internal MIC was a static noise (it's a digital stereo microphone in those laptops).

So, here it is the fix for it.

It is guaranteed to work with "Vanilla" Maverick Meerkat and Lucid Lynx and probably with Karmic etc with ALSA 1.0.22 or later.

You DO NOT HAVE to edit anything in /etc/modprobe.d/alsabase.conf BUT if you want you can input options snd-hda-intel model=auto (with me it works better with model=auto or acer-aspire-6530g).

You have to EDIT as root

Find in it:

IMPORTANT : REMOVE the ; in front of the first 3 lines

SAVE, Reboot and that's it.

It should work now.

It took me 2 months to realize that this was the problem since pulseaudio is poorly documented (or i could not find any on those settings)

Now with default-sample-rate = 48000 there is only a little static on the internal MIC so maybe someone could suggest better sample-rate??

I am glad if this is going to help anyone.

With those settings Ubuntu MAverick (thats what i got is 100% compatible with this laptop)

Just as a small note that DSDT needs to be fixed on it for the battery to be corectly recognized (but that is another story).

So if it helps, post your results for me and others to know.

Take care ,

mtnova

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, this is an old thread so it has been closed please start a new thread of your own with a descriptive title.
    Thanks