View Poll Results: Is "Linux != Windows" out of date?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and it should be updated

11 31.43%
  • Yes, it should no longer be referenced

3 8.57%
  • No, but it may be soon

2 5.71%
  • No, its fine as is and is still relevant

18 51.43%
  • Other (explain)

1 2.86%

Thread: Linux != Windows - Is it out of date?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Post Linux != Windows - Is it out of date?

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Perhaps one of the most well know, intelligent, thought out, and well written pieces on the differences between Windows and Linux (and why users should or should not use Linux), this CC-licensed document graces many a signature here on the forums and shows up in many posts as a response to typical "Linux can't do 'x'" threads.

However, it is four and a half years old.

It was made before Vista and Ubuntu 6.06 graced the world. It came out even before KDE 4 and when Gnome 2 was still going through its growing pains. OpenOffice was still at version 2.0 and Firefox was at 1.5. There were far fewer drivers, no iPod support, and Grub 2 was years away from stability. It was a very different time for Linux and for Windows.

I feel like the general idea is still very true. Linux is not Windows, people do expect that and walk away disappointed, the Linux culture is unexpected, etc. However, some points are less true now. For example, there is a part in Problem 5b about playing audio files and ripping CDs that expects the command-line to be a factor. Why wouldn't it? This was before players like Rhythmbox and Amarok were good, but they are now.

So, my question is: is this resource out of date or does it still feel relevant? Should it no longer be referenced, should it be updated, or is it fine the way it is?
    My Laptop: Gateway T-6330u, 2.0 GHz Pentium Dual-Core, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD - Windows Vista, Windows 7, Ubuntu 10.04.
    My Desktop: Dell Dimension 4600, 2.8 GHz Pentium 4, 1 GB RAM, 128 MB GeForce FX 5200, 120 GB HDD - Windows XP, Ubuntu 10.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Linux != Windows - Is it out of date?

When I say that I'm not addressing that article. It is an obvious statement that holds true whether you have an explanation behind it or not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Ctrl-Alt-F1 View Post
    When I say that I'm not addressing that article. It is an obvious statement that holds true whether you have an explanation behind it or not.
    I agree, the statement is still very true. Linux is not Windows, nor will it be, nor should it be. However, many times here on the forums it is accompanied by a link to that article, which is getting a bit dated.

It will be a sad day if the statement Linux != Windows becomes false...

Code:
    if (linux == windows || linux == mac_os)
    .   chessnerd.cry();
    My Laptop: Gateway T-6330u, 2.0 GHz Pentium Dual-Core, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD - Windows Vista, Windows 7, Ubuntu 10.04.
    My Desktop: Dell Dimension 4600, 2.8 GHz Pentium 4, 1 GB RAM, 128 MB GeForce FX 5200, 120 GB HDD - Windows XP, Ubuntu 10.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Arrow Re: Linux != Windows - Is it out of date?

That's funny. Based on my memory of reading it the last time I had some kind of qualms with the article. Now, upon reading it again, I find I pretty much agree with it.

Has it been recently edited?

Too bad I already voted.
    Eternally confused.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

From what I remember of the article, it is a little bit out-of-date. Compiling software is almost never necessary, except for drivers. And I think the chances are better that the user will not need any tweaking to get their system to actually work.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The article in question is out of date yes... however, the term "Linux != Windows" is still very much true in the full sense of the phrase.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ubuntu 10.10 was not even nearly what people was ecspaced theirs no Gnome shell.Their little diffirents from Ubuntu 10.4

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by goldenbrown View Post
    Ubuntu 10.10 was not even nearly what people was ecspaced theirs no Gnome shell.Their little diffirents from Ubuntu 10.4
    People always go on about polish and 10.10 is more polished.