Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10.10 Dual Monitor Setup

Beans

10.10 Dual Monitor Setup

I have used dual monitor since 8.0.4. It works to 10.04.

Today, after I upgraded to 10.10. I can not get GUI any more, just a console screen.

Based upon some advices, I delete the "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" file and reboot. Now I get GUI, but only on one screen.

I used Nvidia X Server Settings tool to enable dual monitor which is to modify the xorg.conf.

Since xorg.conf is no longer supported in 10.10, what is the new file I need to modify to add the dual monitor support ?

Thanks a lot

Beans

Re: 10.10 Dual Monitor Setup

I have a similar problem. I can't change from showing the same image on both screens to showing different images (expanding the desktop). I go to monitor preferences and uncheck "Same image in all monitors" and it tells me to log out and then log in again, but when I do it's still the same image in both monitors.

Beans

Same problem here, with 10.04 I had extended 3840X1080 but now I have mirrored at only 1400X1050.

Beans

I'm having similar issues. support for my graphics card has always been buggy in ubuntu, I had it fixed in xorg.conf in 9 and in 10.04 I had to change my preferences and change them back again but now in 10.10, it tells me I need to log out and back in again to apply changes but it doesn't actually apply changes.

If I could figure out where the settings are stored it might help. I've asked before but it seems to be a secret

Beans

still looking, will repost here if I find anthing
    Last edited by purelife70; October 18th, 2010 at 01:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This thread may help: "Dual monitors in maverick": http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9958943

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gmargo View Post
    This thread may help: "Dual monitors in maverick": http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9958943
    The above didn't do anything for me.
    Still stuck at 1400X1050 with morrired monitors even after a reboot.

this is my xorg.conf file which does show that my ''virtual res'' should be of 3840X1080...

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    Option "DPMS" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
    Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    Virtual 3840 1080
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "glx"
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "aticonfig Layout"
    Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    Driver "fglrx"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection

EDIT
    After installuing the ATI Drivers again using the ATI catalyst sortware, I managed to get "2" screens @ 3480X1080 side by side but only one turns on now.
    But....the Frequency is at 25hz....And for some reason when I try to use the catalyst software again I get an error message saying that it's not installed or the Driver is missing (not sure I'm not at home right now)

Why oh why did I upgrade to 10.10........This is what I hate about linux...update your OS so we can break it again...

anyway, it might be easier to just get a cheap nvidia card, there seems to be more support...or bite the bullet and pay for windows 7.

I did a search for dual monitors with the search engine to no avail...
    Last edited by purelife70; October 19th, 2010 at 05:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Same issue here,

Just posted to "tag" this thread for the future

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I've got Dual monitors on mine too that run 1920x1080. I was able to get one of them to operate. To get the single one working I changed the "Virtual" setting in the SubSection Display to match my resolution. That let me get one screen up at least.

My PC is using an embedded Intel video chipset. I believe it's the Q35. Anyway this may give you a bit of relief while chasing the bigger problem.

-- Chris

Here's my /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    SubSection "Display"
    # Virtual 2560 1024 #This was the original value for some reason.
    Virtual 1920 1080
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Beans

I should seriously be kicked in the face for upgrading to 10.10... I JUST got 10.4 working (almost)... The move to x.x has of coursed screwed my dual monitor setup... now on one of the monitors I have a section that seems to "screen capture" whatever was on it... Move a web browser to the other monitor and a partial image of it stays on the first monitor.

I loose so much time hunting and pecking for fixes and in this miserable application it's mind numbing. Ubuntu does not = high production... the next time I check this forum it will be from my "unstable" Windows that seems to chug along just fine, requires only a small fraction of the updates and restarts and actually does what it says.

After three years of dinking around with Junkuntu... I'm done. Linux if you want to goof off, Windows if you want to work. It's that simple.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast