Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No more Windows 7?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Exclamation No more Windows 7?

Hey, thanks for reading.

I have a major problem with Windows 7's MBR. I deleted Ubuntu's partition last night, and when I restarted, I saw:
    Code:
    error: no such partition
    grub rescue>
    I looked it up, put some code into a LiveCD terminal, and I thought it worked. But now, I says that I definitely need to put in a Windows 7 CD and do that MBR fix method. I did not own a Windows 7 CD; my laptop came with it pre-installed, and I have no recovery partition anymore. I'd appreciate any help, and thanks for reading.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: No more Windows 7?

what live cd and what code

EDIT: if you're lucky you'll just have to repair the MBR
    19.9.2012 moved from noob distro to Fedora after 3 years
    thank you all in learning Linux expirience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It would have been wise to make a set of recovery discs before deleting the recovery partition. If you google around there are sites that have recovery discs available for download.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Distro

If you install ubuntu again it will auto add windows to grub boot menu
    If you dont want to install ubuntu you will probably have to get those recovery discs as Quackers said for that I'd suggest asking at windows forums
    | Dell XPS M1530 | C2D T8300 @2.4GHz | Nvidia GeForce 8600mGT 256MB GDDR3 | 2x2GB DDR2 @667MHz |
    | Desktop | Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz | Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB GDDR3 | 3x2GB DDR3 @1333MHz |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

try this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=622828

I believe that was what I used when the same thing happened to me

Beans

When you deleted Ubuntu's partition, you removed most of grub. Now grub is failing to load because it can't find it's files. There are two solutions, both of which are simple. You can either:
    1. Reinstall Ubuntu and grub, OR
    2. Install the Windows bootloader to the MBR

You'll need a Windows disk for the second option. You can find instructions on how to use it to install the Windows bootloader on these forums on on google.
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Here is a link to a recovery disc, and a set of commands just run the one bold command.
    http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/window...-repair-discs/

1) Boot with your Vista/Windows 7 installation disk. Hit <Enter> at the language selection prompt then hit <R> for Repair to get to the Repair section.
    2) Select the command prompt (console) and type in the following commands:
    BootRec.exe /fixmbr (#updates MBR master boot record...do not run if you still want grub)
    chkdsk /r
    BootRec.exe /FixBoot (#updates PBR partition boot)
    BootRec.exe /ScanOs
    BootRec.exe /RebuildBcd
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ot-record.html

Beans
    Distro

Thank you all very much for your replies! I have downloaded the .iso, but I'm trying to find out how to mount it to another USB (have no CDs). Ubuntu's kind of difficult for beginners.

EDIT:
    I'd feel better if I waited until I am able to fully dedicate this laptop to Ubuntu. Had problems with dual-booting in the past as well.
    Last edited by iBrigadier; October 16th, 2010 at 06:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If your laptop is quite modern then you could install Ultimate Edition over the Ubuntu version you have. Delete the Linux partition and then assign it to Linux again using / as the Moint Point in the Linux partitioner. Remember of course that you need a Swap area just as Windows does. You should create a small partition when you are in the Partition manager and allocate twice the amount of RAM that you have installed for the Swap area, then choose to assign it as Swap under the file type. You won't need to assign a Mount Point as Linux will do this automatically for the swap file.

I find Ultimate Edition (available separately from Ubuntu - google it) is much more forgiving than plain Ubuntu and prettier too.
    It can take a while to load but, once loaded it has heaps of programs already loaded and I have not had to load any codecs for anything on the Web. The odd occasion I have had to add Flash to a site but, three options for Flash are usually shown when this is asked for and I just add each in turn till the web page is happy to run the Flash video.

Any way I digress, Ultimate Edition or UE to us full time users is a very nice system to use and like the Ubuntu forum it has it's own forum with it's own experts.
    I have always found them very helpful.

Give it a try, what do you have to lose? It will dual boot with Windows exactly the same way that Ubuntu does and you have the option when logging in to use either the Gnome desktop environment which is Ubuntu default or KDE (see panel at bottom of the Login screen once it appears).
    Although KDE looks very neat it can take a little getting used but, none more so than Ubuntu.
    The default Gnome environment is what I would advize you to try out. All you need should already be installed. Go on give it a go.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=622828

I recommend that as well, another person posted it above, that should work.

The others I'm disappointed in, put in your cd/dvd - well you clearly stated in your initial post that you don't have the DVDs/CDs. Try to be more careful people and read the post before you jump - otherwise, I would download Windows 7 from the internet cause technically you have a valid license and you're only requesting it for backup/restoration purposes and to do it that way.
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast