Thread: HOWTO: Close maximized windows by clicking at screen corner in Xfce4 Bluebird theme

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

HOWTO: Close maximized windows by clicking at screen corner in Xfce4 Bluebird theme

I have recently downloaded and installed Xubuntu 10.10, and I really liked the new default Xfce4 theme Bluebird. However, it has one small issue which is that you can’t close a maximized window by moving the mouse cursor into the upper-right corner of the screen and clicking (with the upper panel being disabled), rather you should click at the close button which is located at the upper-right area of the screen but not exactly at the corner.

I know that this is a small issue, but I think that at least some advanced users would agree with me, because after using a certain OS for a long enough amount of time, one prefers to do things in the most easy and fault intolerant way.

Anyway, I made a modified version of the Bluebird theme which doesn’t have that issue, here are the steps necessary to install and activate it:

• Download the theme package from here
    • Unpack and copy the folder “Bluebird-Edited” into “/usr/share/themes” (you’ll need root privilege to do so)
    • Select the theme “Bluebird-Edited” in [Settings > Appearance] and [Settings > Window Manager]

Note that this version of the theme was only tested in Xubuntu 10.10, but I assume that it works with other versions of Xubuntu as well as other distributions or OSes that contain Xfce4
    Last edited by Lawand; January 2nd, 2011 at 07:57 PM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Close maximized windows by clicking at screen corner in Xfce4 Bluebird the

Just to tell ya you're my hero.

Forgetting those important pixels in the corner is a real pita, and a terrible GUI misdisign.

Thank you so much !

(note that greybird has the same problem, i'll try to hack the theme myself following what's in your edited theme)

NOTE : in fact ... i cannot have your theme working properly, always some ixels lost at the top.. ??
    Last edited by squalou; August 3rd, 2011 at 08:40 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: Close maximized windows by clicking at screen corner in Xfce4 Bluebird the

this is really in the wrong place, and it's over a year old. Closed.

Edit: reopened by request, in the proper sub-forum
    Last edited by cariboo; August 4th, 2011 at 03:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro

@squalou: I am glad you found my theme edit useful.

About greybird, I didn't notice the same issue in it. I am testing it right now and clicking in the upper-right screen corner closes the maximized window, maybe some setting or configuration on your machine is having an effect on it and on my edited version of Bluebird as well.

Can you post a screen shot of Bluebird-Edited to show me the problem, and it would also help if you tested it on a fresh installation of Xubuntu 10.10 or 11.04. I also need some information like the screen resolution you are using.

Keep in mind I am not a designer so I might not be able to help you...

Beans

That's utturely weird.
    I've tried an old xubuntu live CD (10.04), featuring xfce 4.6 + theme albatross.

Top right corner works.

I've installed this theme on my xfce 4.8 (archlinux distribution in this case) : top right corner is not correct.

I'll try to post a scrrenshot of what it looks like.

Edit : here's the screenshot, while hovering the corner. The upper part of the screen decoration is clearly not sensitive.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
    Last edited by squalou; August 14th, 2011 at 10:41 PM.

Beans

Looking at that :

http://www.xfce.org/about/tour

vs that :

http://www.xfce.org/about/tour46

makes me wonder if it's nt a 4.8 issue. Would be so surprising from xfce, but why not ? Any good results with 4.8 ?

Beans
    Distro

I have tested Bluebird-Edited with fresh installs of Xubuntu 10.10 and 11.04 ( which includes Xfce 4.8 ) and it worked. About other distributions, it might not work and I am unfortunately unable to help you because I just made what's called a quick and dirty solution when I edited Bluebird. I don't really know the in's and out's of Xfce themes.

Tell you what, can you contact the guys that originally designed Bluebird? Maybe they can edit the theme so that corner-clicking would work in all distributions because they can perform a global solution instead of my quick and dirty one.

Note: I can't access the screenshot you posted.

Beans

Oh.
    My.
    God.
    I'm stupid.

I changed the *themes*, edited the *themerc* file, etc...
    but never until this morning did I look at "Window Manager" options.
    in which you tell the "style" of your windows....

Afterwards, I consider it a bit confusing, having a theme for the desktop in one place called "appearance", and a so called "style" in another place called "window manager".

Both should be linked under the "theme" name.

That beeing said, I'm the noob this time,

i'll just go and hide for a while

thanks anyway !

Beans
    Distro

You're welcome.

So, is everything ok now? If so, can you confirm which distributions Bluebird-Edited worked with? Thank you.