Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FTP Server Impossible?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

FTP Server Impossible?

Hi All,
    Why is there no FTP server setup for Ubuntu? All I can find is the command line type. I was able to set up Filezilla FTP server on windows xp with no problem. It had the screens where you just created the allowed users, and the directories and passwords. I tried to install proftpd and vsftpd on Ubuntu 10.04, and it is a nightmare to say the least. (Neither would work) I can't believe no one has made a FTP server for Ubuntu that you can "see" the program, and make the setup changes you need. Trying to do this from a command line is impossible, (for me at least).
    My network security camera uses FTP to send motion activated video clips on the home network. Right now, I have Filezilla FTP server setup on a windows xp computer, and the security camera sends the clips to that. I just want to put a FTP server on the Ubuntu 10.04 computer and have it receive the security video clips on there. That way I can get rid of the windows computer all together!
    Does anybody know of an FTP server for Ubuntu, that is a real program that you use, and not a command line thing?
    -thanks
    Ubuntu 11.10
    Learning Linux and Loving it...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: FTP Server Impossible?

I'm using Gadmin-PROFTPD.
    It's not perfect, but it does the job well.

This manual might help you installing and configuring it:
    http://n00bsonubuntu.com/content/ins...verick-meerkat

Beans

When you are on your desktop go to

locations->set up connection with server

You can connect to a ftp server.

Beans

ftp is possible

Beans
    Distro

Thanks bvanaerde,
    I'll give that a try. I did already try PureFTPd server with puradmin the other night.
    For some reason, it won't authenticate the username of incoming connection attempts.
    I did everything in the how to, but still no go. I still can't believe that this is proving to be so difficult. I'm surprised someone hasn't made a simple FTP server install program that installs it with the GUI, and then just have you put in the details. I just need the FTP server to run on the Ubuntu 10.04, I don't need FTP client on it at all.
    Ubuntu 11.10

Beans

Filezilla for Linux is available. I have it installed. It's in the repos, and you can get it with either Synaptic Package Manager, apt-get, or aptitude.
    Asus EEE 900 with Linux Mint Debian Edition
    Linux user 497460

Beans
    Distro

Bevanearde,
    I just installed GADMIN_PROFTPD, and tried to follow the how to from the link you provided.
    It installed fine, but when I tried to configure it, I got to the part where it asks for a directory,
    and I picked one, but it wouldn't allow it. No matter what folder I picked, it refuses to let me
    set a directory. It keeps saying "null" in the box? I tried /home, /home/ftpusers, /media/Backups/ftp, nothing. I even tried to create a new folder in /home, and it still won't allow it. So, then I opened /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf and tried to manually put in the directory name on line 81 (which is what the Gadmin was saying was the error) and it won't allow me.
    So, when I try to click on "activate" it gives the error that there is no directory, and can't activate. The status remains "deactivated". This is really weird? Why won't it allow me to select a directory to be used? Like I said, I tried everything and any directory, but no go?
    -RP
    Ubuntu 11.10

Beans
    Distro

Sgosnell,
    Are you sure about FIlezilla for Linux? All I could find was the client, not the server for linux.
    I need the server, not the client. All I need to do is have Ubuntu 10.04 receive files through FTP.
    ?????
    Ubuntu 11.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Return Privacy View Post
    and I picked one, but it wouldn't allow it. No matter what folder I picked, it refuses to let me
    set a directory.
    -RP
    That's strange. I had the same problem with giving a description to users: it wouldn't let me fill something in. After a restart this worked though.
    How come you can't edit the config file? What error did you get?

Oh, and to the others responding: the OP is looking for an FTP server with gui, not an FTP client. FileZilla server is only available for Windows.

Beans
    Distro

Hi bvanaerde,
    I have attached a few pics of the error messages. No matter what directory I try to set, it won't accept it. When I try to press "activate" I get this message. It stays on "deactivated".
    Any help in getting this to work would be greatly appreciated! -Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ubuntu 11.10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast