Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FTP Server Impossible?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: FTP Server Impossible?

Forgot to add this pic also, to my above post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ubuntu 11.10
    Learning Linux and Loving it...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Can you show the lines around line 109 of the file
    /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf

Have you edited this file manually?

Beans
    Distro

Here is a copy of the entire Proftpd.conf file. I copied and pasted it into an OpenOffice document. That way you can look at the whole file, and hopefully figure this out? -Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Ubuntu 11.10

Beans
    Distro

Hi again bvanaerde,

I have been googling info about getting an ftp server with GUI on Ubuntu, while trying to figure this GADMIN-PROFTPD server out. I came across an article on Ubuntu Forums (here) from back in 2006, and the guy was having the same problems. He ended up installing Wine, and installing bulletproof ftp server (******* version) and he said it worked. So, I installed Wine, and then installed Filezilla FTP server (******* version) and it actually is working. I can't believe it, but it's true. Now, I don't want to leave it this way, and have to use a "cough", "choke" "*******" FTP program on my Ubuntu computer!
    I'm sure it is taking up a lot of resources to keep the "Wine" emulation and "*******" FTP program running all the time. I would MUCH rather figure out how to get a Linux FTP server (with GUI) running correctly on my Ubuntu computer. I'm still stumped why GADMIN-ProFTPD server won't start / work? (and PureFTP server, CrossFTP server, Crush FTP server, and vsftpd server) (I've tried them all, and couldn't get any of them to work at all. I've spent a week on this with no results)

I'm hoping you can figure something out from the ProFTPD.conf file (document copy) that I posted here. I won't give up if you won't...lol
    -Thanks
    Ubuntu 11.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I'll try to look at the log when I get home...
    About using Wine: I don't think it'll use that much resources. Unless you noticed a big difference?

FileZilla server is quite good and easy to use, so I'm hoping that they'll release a linux version someday.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hmm, I seem to have forgotten about this thread.
    Not sure when it happened, but my FTP server stopped working... so I looked for a newer version of Gadmin ProFTPd, which I found: gadmin-proftpd_0.4.0-2_amd64

Maybe this version is already available in the repositories for Maverick or Natty, but Lucid is stuck with v3.8 or something. Downloading the package for Ubuntu manually didn't work due to dependencies, but the Debian version seems to work great:

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/ma...admin-proftpd/

What I did was completely remove the previous version, deleted the config files, and started over. Before I knew it, it was working better than ever.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12