Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: upgraded to Maverick and desktop disappeared

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

upgraded to Maverick and desktop disappeared

After upgrading from Lucid to Maverick in my (test) installation I seem to have lost the gui. I used the update manager for upgrading, when restarted the computer booted into the terminal.

I typed startx and I got

dopen: /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so: undefined symbol: miEmptyData
    (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so
    (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (loader failed, 7)
    (EE) No drivers available

Fatal server error:
    no screens found

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
    at http://wiki.x.org
    for help

ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log
    giving up
    xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
    xinit: No such process (errno3): Server error.
    I have a Nvidia card and the Nvidia driver was in use before the upgrade.

Thanks for any help in advance.
    Last edited by beew; October 15th, 2010 at 03:03 AM.

Beans

Re: upgraded to Maverick and desktop disappeared

bump?

Sorry if I am bumping too soon, but since my access to the internet is kind of shaky for these few days have to do it when i have a chance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Try installing the Nouveau driver.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
    --Andy
    Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat".
    My blog: andym3.wordpress.com
    The Ubuntu/Debian user's savior: keryxproject.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM3 View Post
    Code:

I just did this as well and Im getting just about the same error... I have a lenovo with intel chipset so will this work for me as well?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have a feeling that the graphics driver isn't getting upgraded properly, I would suggest you remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and restart. It should now take you to the Desktop, where you can install the latest nvidia driver. There was a change in Xorg, so the older drivers don't seem to work properly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM3 View Post
    Code:
    I just did this and it says it already has the newest version installed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I have a feeling that the graphics driver isn't getting upgraded properly, I would suggest you remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and restart. It should now take you to the Desktop, where you can install the latest nvidia driver. There was a change in Xorg, so the older drivers don't seem to work properly.

This works! Thanks a million cariboo907. Today I learn something new and important!!

Beans

Opps, I was happy too soon, good that I didn't mark the thread as solved.

After removing /etc/X11/xorg.conf (how come some people say the file no longer exists for newer version of Ubuntu???) I was able to boot into the Desktop, the Nvidia card apparently was still installed but the resolution was not right. I tried to fix it and the Nvidia setting manager said that the Nvidia card was not in use and that I had to run sudo nvidia-xorgconfig. I did that and rebooted but I was in text mode again. So I removed /etc/X11/xorg.conf again and booted into the desktop.

I thought I should reinstall the Nvidia driver, I removed it from Synaptic and reboot. In Lucid I would simply go to "Hardware Drivers" and it would take care of it.

But "Additonal Drivers" in Maverick did not "see" the Nvidia card. I think that is the crux of the problem because it indicates that support for this card may be poor in Maverick while it works almost out of the box in Lucid.

So I installed the drivers from Synaptic and it was only after that that "additional driver" picked out the Nvidia card and asked me if I wanted to activated it.

I activated it and rebooted but the graphic remained horrendous (Nvidia driver not in use), so I run nvidia-xconfig in the terminal and restarted, but once again I booted into text mold.

So long story short, I just can't install the Nvidia driver in Maverick in the same way I did in Lucid. In Lucid there was no need to run "nvidia-xorgconfig", activating in "Hardware drivers" and reboot is all that is required. But in Maverick 1) additional driver doesn't sniff out the Nvidia card 2) When the driver is installed you have to run "nvidia-xorgconf" 3) the result of running "nvidia-xorgconf" would be to boot into text mode.
    Last edited by beew; October 16th, 2010 at 10:33 AM.

Beans

This seems to be a problem only with the Nvidia-96 driver. In a newer machine Maverick's "Additional Hardwares" module picked up the Nvidia card with no problem,--however when reboot I got some error message about plymouth and the terminal login line appears briefly before booting into the desktop.

I had not have problems with Nvidia card with Lucid, I am not sure what they had done with Maverick but now there appears to be some wrinkles even when it works (with the plymouth error and brief appearance of the terminal at boot)

Beans

it's the new version of xorg they've put into Maverick - had nothing but trouble on two different machines - one with an ati card and the other with an nvidia - after upgrading distro, neither will work unless I completely remove the closed-source drivers

-which means I'm stuck with the not-as-good open-source versions...
    Last edited by maniaq; October 18th, 2010 at 02:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast