Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu in your community.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Ubuntu in your community.

So far I've slowly spread into the computers of 5 of my friends. The only other people at my university that use Linux are hipsters who give off the impression that they only use it because Apple isn't indie anymore. I'm considering starting a FOSS, Ubuntu, or Linux club next year or semester. Ordering mass CD's, making posters, having meetings, fun stuff. We'll see how that goes though.

EDIT: My Fiancée remains politely resilient though. She's comfortable with OS X, and I think that she's best suited to use that.
    i5-650 Dual-Core 3.2GHz, 4GB DDR3, 1TB, eVGA GTX 460 *Running Ubuntu, Arch, Win7, Snow Leopard
    Aluminum Unibody, 5,1 Macbook *Running Snow Leopard, Ubuntu, Jolicloud

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Apot View Post
    linuxpusher

do you know if there is a similar program in the Toronto area that does similar things to S.T.A.R.S?

I have previously been asked by some people if I knew where old computer hardware could be donated to and if I knew about this program I would have had suggested this.
    Apot,

If there is another Program like Stars out there I am unaware of it.
    I don't see why someone could not start one there.
    Chris.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu in your community. STARS

STARS: Supplying Technology to At Risk Students.

The Bruce Grey Linux Users Group (www.bglug.ca) collects used computer equipment (nothing below a Pentium 4).
    We harvest parts to build computers for high school and College students who do not have a computer at home.

BGLUG loads the Ubuntu version of Linux which is free shareware and is not pirated software.

Computers have the Open Office version of Power Point Presentation, word processor, spreadsheet etc.
    They can also be set up to save in a Microsoft format so that the students can take their work to school and print it off.

The project runs out of the United Way and computers are given out through agencies of the United Way or referrals from schools.

The Bruce-Grey Linux Users Group (www.bglug.ca) is currently centred in Owen Sound, but has members scattered around Bruce and Grey counties.
    The group is freely open to everyone.

We gather together for four main reasons:
    **- advocacy
    **- education
    **- support
    **- socializing

We are constantly evolving and gladly welcome any constructive feedback and suggestions.
    If you have any thoughts about the group or the site, please let us know!

Guidelines for accessing the United Way’s S.T.A.R.S. Computer Project

The decisions of United Way staff are final.

1. Priority is given to disabled students, who have been referred to the program by local schools.
    2. Priority is given to high school, college or university students with no computer access in the home.
    3. Students are required to present proof of enrolment (student card, report card, phone call from the school, referral from a community agency are all acceptable forms of ‘proof’).
    4. If there are no students on the list, then community individuals are welcome to have their name put on the waiting list.
    5. There is no guarantee that any person will ever receive a computer, supply is always limited.

Desktops vs. Laptops

1. Laptops are reserved exclusively for students, documentation must be provided.
    2. If there are no students waiting for a desktop computer then the next available individual on the list is called, given 5 days to respond prior to going to the next person on the list.
    3. The list is accessed first come, first serve.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

what about using a lightscripe cutter and burn the ubuntu log on them?
    running ubuntu servers, 12.04.3 lts and Pfsense 2.1,
    web hosting and email hosting with 2 ubuntu clients
    uberstudent on laptop
    and 3 networked printers

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

this may not be the right place,
    Does anyone know of a Ubuntu group in the st Catharine's, Welland Ontario Canada
    area, if so where and when doe they meet
    Thanks,
    running ubuntu servers, 12.04.3 lts and Pfsense 2.1,
    web hosting and email hosting with 2 ubuntu clients
    uberstudent on laptop
    and 3 networked printers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12