Thread: $50 bounty for best hardware list for a new Ubuntu desktop

MountainX is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: $50 bounty for best hardware list for a new Ubuntu desktop

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Fanless Video Cards:
    ZOTAC Nvidia GeForce GT240 ZONE Edition (1 GB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Graphic Card ZT-20404-20L)
    MSI GeForce GT240 (1GB 1024MB PCI Express 2.0 Graphic Card N240GT-MD1G)
    ASUS Nvidia GeForce GT240 (1 GB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Graphic Card ENGT240 SLIENT/DI/1GD3/A)
    Sparkle GeForce GTS 450 passive

http://www.acousticpc.com/
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/
    Interesting. I did not know about the Sparkle GeForce GTS 450 passive.

I ordered a Zotac GT430 passive. It runs a tad bit warm (50 degrees at idle). But the Sparkle GeForce GTS 450 passive you mention seems to have a better passive cooling system. I wonder if it would be cooler?

Here's a link to an image of the Sparkle GeForce GTS 450 passive:
    http://silenssimo.blogspot.com/2010/...-gpu-from.html
    Where to buy it?

UPDATE:
    by the time I finished this system I had the airflow in the case sufficient to keep the fanless Zotac GT430 under 50 degrees during normal use. It is usually around 45 degrees. The CPU is around 33 degrees and the MB is around 25 degrees during normal use. The temp has never gotten too high. For example, under stress tests everything stays cool.
    Last edited by MountainX; January 16th, 2011 at 08:55 PM.
    Desktop: KX Studio (Kubuntu 12.04)
    Laptop & Netbook: Kubuntu 12.04
    Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Phone: Nexus 4 Cyanogenmod

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Garandir View Post
    A 1920 x 1200 fanless video card on dual monitors? Are you planning a house fire?

what ^^ said.

also, under 1000$, capable of running 2 1920x1200 monitors, no fans anywhere, no HDD. Bad idea.....

Do NOT have only an SSD as you will run out of read/write cycles too quickly, that is if you want the computer to last more than 6 months...

for what you seem to be wanting, and under 1000$ you wont get, and if you happen to somehow find it, I guarantee it will be absolute crap.

SSD and presumably liquid cooling rig... yeah right... LOL

---

what did you end up getting?

MountainX is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ryannathans View Post
    what ^^ said.

also, under 1000$, capable of running 2 1920x1200 monitors, no fans anywhere, no HDD. Bad idea.....

Do NOT have only an SSD as you will run out of read/write cycles too quickly, that is if you want the computer to last more than 6 months...

for what you seem to be wanting, and under 1000$ you wont get, and if you happen to somehow find it, I guarantee it will be absolute crap.

SSD and presumably liquid cooling rig... yeah right... LOL

---

what did you end up getting?
    I built the computer and have been using it for months now. It is the best desktop computer I have ever owned.

(However, I did prove to myself that the iMac represents a really good deal too. As I said, I was not able to build a system as quiet as the iMac. Nor is it as elegant. But it is faster and it runs Ubuntu, so I almost never use my iMac now. I prefer this custom PC.)

I'm running dual monitors.
    One is a 23" at 1920 x 1200 (HP L2335)
    The other monitor is a 30" at 2560 x 1600 (HP zr30w)
    I am using a fanless video card - ZOTAC ZT-40601-20L GeForce GT 430 Graphics Card.
    The video card stays below 50 degrees C most of the time. Usually around 45, which is where it is right now. No danger of any fires from that.

The case and silent case fans were carefully considered (and tested) to arrive at the near-silent and cool operation. I got good help at HardForum.com.

I'm also running an SSD only. Concerns about read/write cycles are overblown. I've already been using it four months. The research shows your six month lifespan figure is off by at least a factor of 10, if not more. I'll be using this SSD for years and it will be time to replace this computer and/or drive before the SSD is worn out.

I came close to my budget. In the end, it cost me about $1200 (excluding monitor), but I went with 16GB RAM and a number of really high quality components. The computer flat out rules. It is super fast, very quiet and runs very cool.

My only complaint is that it won't suspend/resume the way I want it to. But that's a Ubuntu/Linux limitation. I don't think there is a solution for it.
    Desktop: KX Studio (Kubuntu 12.04)
    Laptop & Netbook: Kubuntu 12.04
    Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Phone: Nexus 4 Cyanogenmod

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234