$50 bounty for best hardware list for a new Ubuntu desktop
I'm looking for recommendations for a complete desktop system at a price of around $1000 (without monitor) as explained below.
All hardware should be compatible with Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) 64-bit.
- completely silent (at least as quiet as a new iMac with an SSD).
- fanless video card that will support dual DVI monitors at 1920 x 1200 (and more) each.
- 6 GB or more RAM
- 1 SSD (about 60 GB, such as OCZ Vertex II)
- CD-RW / DVD-RW Dual Layer
- Dual GigE ports
- lots of USB ports (6 or more would be good)
- SD card reader
- decent audio/sound card (high end not required)
- no monitors
- no speakers
- no keyboard
- no mouse
- no joystick
- no accessories
- bonus if it has an RS232 serial port
Please provide specific component recommendations with brand name, model and item details (e.g., "Crucial Ballistix Triple Channel DDR3 - 1600 MHz" or whatever ram you recommend). Bonus points for links to where to buy the component at a fair price.
If someone provides a COMPLETE recommendation that I end up going with, I will send you a $50 bounty or I will make a donation to any FOSS organization of your choice in your name.
There is really only one requirement that makes this a challenge: it must be silent. Finding a silent video card that provides good DVI resolution and good performance seems to be a challenge...
Good luck and I look forward to sending $50 to someone (or a charity). Thank you!
Desktop: KX Studio (Kubuntu 12.04)
Laptop & Netbook: Kubuntu 12.04
Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
Phone: Nexus 4 Cyanogenmod