Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welcome to the Ubuntu Canada Team forum!

Beans

Re: Welcome to the Ubuntu Canada Team forum!

Quote Originally Posted by teejay17 View Post
    Yep. I check in any time someone posts an update. I check my subscription feed daily.
    How is Ubuntu treating you? On 12.04 yet?
    Ubuntu is treating me very well.

I have Ubuntu 11.10 on this desktop and Ubuntu 12.4 on my laptop. Like 12.04. will soon be upgrading the desktop - just waiting for an opportunity. I know it does not require much.

A while back i bought a new HP laptop for my Housing Co-op. Stripped off the Microsoft OS and loaded 11.04. The person it was for did not take the time understand Ubuntu nor did she ask for my help. Hence returned it. One of the members on the Finance Committee was very upset that I took off Microsoft OS. He wanted me to re-install Microsoft. He did not get any support from the other members. Ubuntu still rules on that laptop.

But the point of my little story is that there is still a lot of opposition to Open Source. I don't know how to deal with it. When I forget to convert a file to PDF or Microsoft these savy Microsoft guys demand that I convert to Microsoft documents. They seem so limited or uninformed on Microsoft.

Wish I could convince some.

Oddly they find that Android is quite acceptable.

Thanks for reading this far, Gary

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gary@web.ca View Post
    But the point of my little story is that there is still a lot of opposition to Open Source. I don't know how to deal with it.
    Education

Doesn't sound like a specific opposition to open source but more an ignorance of any new or different things....

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi everyone,

I am in Saskatoon SK and am using Ubuntu 10.04 and will be soon going to Xubuntu 12.04. I haven't registered as a member in this LoCo (if one does that), but it is nice to know it is here.

Question:

Would anyone know if if there is any Linux courses in Saskatoon, tailored towards the casual user? It would be nice to go to community college or at U.of S., to take some informal classes on Linux.

I don't know if there is any members of a LoCo in Saskatoon to ask. Seems, when I first started with Ubuntu, there was ?local chapter or whatever it is called, that met at the Senator Hotel pub.

Anyways, I'll throw this out to y'all and keep looking.

Mike
    Last edited by mikodo; November 1st, 2012 at 11:59 PM. Reason: grammar

Beans

Just realized I never actually said hi! Hi everyone! I'm from Guelph, ON which is not far from where Darcy is.

I've been using Ubuntu for a while despite not getting around to posting on the forum very often. (So long in fact that they delete your account from inactivity)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi azend,

Nice to see your here and posting. The Title of this thread makes me think of Hockey.

Team Canada

I wonder if we will be seeing any NHL this year ....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hello to everyone. Jeff from Edmonton, AB here.Been using Ubuntu on and off since 9.04 but have really been committed since 12.04 LTS.

Stay safe out there, everyone.

Beans

Hello everyone!

A newbie of sorts to Ubuntu, or Linux OS for that matter, I have joined the LoCo. I'm from the Maratimes, so a little ways away from most members.

I'm excited to see if I can help in any of the project on the go!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi Light Knight 22! There's an Ubuntu city chapter in Moncton, so you might be closer to the action than you think! Check out the Moncton Ubuntu LUG page at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CanadianTeam/Moncton or get in touch with Terry Jacob https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Linuxmonkey who set up the Moncton LUG. And pop into the IRC channel #ubuntu-ca and say hello! http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=ubuntu-ca --Bob.
    Last edited by BobJonkman; May 11th, 2013 at 05:36 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12