Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Set a custom firewall (iptables) and Tips [Beginners edition]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: HOWTO: Set a custom firewall (iptables) and Tips [Beginners edition]

frodon:

In a very quick assessment and based on some of your assertions, I elected to work directly with iptables. Command line coding offered the most precise way to tune the firewall eventhough it required some quick training and research. I'm not a stranger to this since I've been actively programing since the early days of Microsoft BASIC and DOS. Not everyone wants to be bothered with the tediousness and precision of coding; Firestarter GUI is one of the obvious alternatives for the lay user.

El_Belgicano should be able to run "iptables -l "(lower case L) in a terminal window as root or with "sudo" and list the existing rules. The results can be pasted between CODE tags in a message for examination. This would involve disengaging from Firestarter and directly addressing iptables.

If El_Belgicano's server, like my system, is behind a firewalled router and ISP provided connection device, his system should not be visible to the internet at large. He could "flush" the rules and lay out an entirely new custom scheme including mutual recognition and accessibility of his network platforms.

Myabilities in network administration and technical construction lacks depth at this time and I humbly defer to those with greater skills . . .

To El_Belgicano: be diligent and patient; you'll get the rewards!

-met-
    Catz3705
    Last edited by Catz3705; April 5th, 2008 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Clarification of language

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@ Catz3705:
    You're right on the router point, most of the time I'm connected to my home network who's set up behind a firewall, but I also connect to another network and I'm not sure about the security there, firestarter gets crazy by times (when I had it) with alerts about "connection attempt blocked" ... so I'm concerned about that network

anyway, thanks for the fast support

my rules:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

# No spoofing
    if [ -e /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/rp_filter ]
    then
    for filtre in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/rp_filter
    do
    echo 1 > $filtre
    done
    fi 

# No icmp
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_all
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts

#load some modules you may need
    modprobe ip_tables
    modprobe ip_nat_ftp
    modprobe ip_nat_irc
    modprobe iptable_filter
    modprobe iptable_nat 
    modprobe ip_conntrack_irc
    modprobe ip_conntrack_ftp

# Remove all rules and chains
    iptables -F
    iptables -X

# first set the default behaviour => accept connections
    iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
    iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
    iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT

# Create 2 chains, it allows to write a clean script
    iptables -N FIREWALL
    iptables -N TRUSTED

# Allow ESTABLISHED and RELATED incoming connection
    iptables -A FIREWALL -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
    # Allow loopback traffic
    iptables -A FIREWALL -i lo -j ACCEPT
    # Send all package to the TRUSTED chain
    iptables -A FIREWALL -j TRUSTED
    # DROP all other packets
    iptables -A FIREWALL -j DROP

# Send all INPUT packets to the FIREWALL chain
    iptables -A INPUT -j FIREWALL
    # DROP all forward packets, we don't share internet connection in this example
    iptables -A FORWARD -j DROP

##############
    iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -j DROP
    iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 80 -j DROP

iptables -A TRUSTED -p udp -m udp --dport 4374 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A TRUSTED -p tcp -m tcp --dport 4374 -j ACCEPT

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 23 -j DROP
    iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 23 -j DROP

iptables -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --sport 53 -j ACCEPT 
    iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT 
    iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --sport 53 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
    ##############

# End message
    echo " [End iptables rules setting]"
    El Belgicano
    -----------------
    Laptop: 5 years old Asus M6N (ATI9600/9700 graphics, 512Mb RAM, Intel Mobile 1.66GHz, 60Gb HDD) running 10.04-Lucid Lynx pretty nicely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

El_Belgicano:

First of all, due to my limited expertise, It strongly suggest that you review and direct specific questions to frodon concerning your network security issues -- which are by no means trivial.

I would also suggest that you check out the tutorial moderated by Ned Slider on PC Perspectives, http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=432469, "Linux Firewall (iptables) Tutorial". Just as frodon has done earlier in his tutorial, Ned Slider presents step-by-step iptables firewall preparation in uncomplicated language illustrated with pasteable examples for direct application. [Note: Ned Slider is writing in the CentOS system context. Illustrations and examples found in his tutorial will have to be adapted to Ubuntu iptables command structure]

Slider's explaination of *what* he is doing with particular coding imparts educational depth rather than exercises in blind cutting and pasting.

( In my humble experience, knowing what and why you are doing something gets you out of trouble later on and, in some instances, may prevent exposure to the malady in the first place. "Forewarned is forearmed!" (I don't know who said that, it maybe cliche, but it's good advice. . . ))

As I see your query, you are looking to protect your personal LAN and permit Trusted contact with an external network.

I would conjecture that the examples I cited earlier in post #213 could definitely be used for your personal LAN (taking into consideration the CentOS context and where it may apply to Ubuntu) as I have directly used them successfully on an experimental setup. There are some port manipulations in the Slider article that would also be worth some study.

frodon suggested also using MAC address screening (as did Ned Slider) to give an additional tier of security to the Trusted IP recognition process. Your friendly external network would likely have to provide you with this info. I don't know if the blocking process is carried out quietly or is verbose which produces the annoying alerts that you experienced. Firewall systems typically log probe attempts that are blocked as well as deliver overt warnings.

Eventhough I have written in generalities, I hope this brief discussion will point you to the details that you want to incorporate into your firewall development.

A sus ordenes,

-met-
    Catz3705
    Last edited by Catz3705; April 6th, 2008 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Revise wording for better effect

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

These rules :
    Code:
    ##############
    iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -j DROP
    iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 80 -j DROP

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 23 -j DROP
    iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 23 -j DROP

iptables -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --sport 53 -j ACCEPT 
    iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT 
    iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --sport 53 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
    #############
    should be rather like the following if you wanr to keep the spirit of the script :
    Code:
    iptables -A TRUSTED -p tcp --dport 80 -j DROP
    iptables -A TRUSTED -p udp --dport 80 -j DROP

iptables -A TRUSTED -p tcp --dport 23 -j DROP
    iptables -A TRUSTED -p udp --dport 23 -j DROP

iptables -A TRUSTED -p udp -m udp --sport 53 -j ACCEPT 
    iptables -A TRUSTED -p tcp -m tcp --sport 53 -j ACCEPT
    No need to add OUTPUT chain rules as the script don't block outgoing traffic, in the same way no need to handle INPUT chain directly as all input packets are send to the TRUSTED chain, so you can just handle the TRUSTED chain for this purpose which is how the script is suposed to be extended.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

frodon:

After some experimentation with my Ubuntu platforms with manually applied, temporary code, I've implemented your firewall solution on one of the systems for permanent use.

The initial run did not allow the home LAN to be visible (this was anticipated). Some trial and error coding brought up the two Ubuntu platforms and a final modification of your code from our first post yielded the remaining Windows XP test system:

Quote Originally Posted by frodon View Post
    iptables -A TRUSTED -p tcp -s 192.168.2.* -j ACCEPT should do it i think.
    the firewal type sudo /etc/init.d/firewall stop
    My changes were:

Code:
    # Allow ip 
    iptables -A TRUSTED -p tcp -s 192.168.2.0/24 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A TRUSTED -p tcp -s 192.168.2.1 -m mac --mac-source [applicable mac address inserted] -j ACCEPT
    The results were the same as when I applied the sample codes:

Code:
    # Accept packets from trusted IP addresses
    >>>>iptables -A INPUT -s 192.168.0.4 -j ACCEPT # change the IP address as appropriate
    Code:
    iptables -A INPUT -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j ACCEPT # using standard slash notation
    >>>>iptables -A INPUT -s 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 -j ACCEPT # using a subnet mask
    Finally, as well as filtering against a single IP address, we can also match against the MAC address for the given device . . . .Here we use the mac module to check the mac address of the source of the packet in addition to it's IP address:

Code:
    >>>>iptables -A INPUT -s 192.168.0.4 -m mac --mac-source 00:50:8D:FD:E6:32 -j ACCEPT
    ....( ref: Slider, PC Perspectives)
    BTW this coding that you supplied did work once your firewall solution was in place:

Quote Originally Posted by frodon
    It's the main problem with dynamic adresses and home network. I think the rule i gave you doesn't work but i'm sure allowing a range of IP is possible with iptables.

You can try that, i never tested this though :
    Code:
    iptables -A TRUSTED -i eth0 -m iprange --src-range 192.168.2.100-192.168.2.255 -j ACCEPT

(It picked up the Ubuntu platforms and omitted the Win XP system.
    It probably needed to be tweaked to include the full range from 192.168.2.1 thru 255.
    The two lines that I mentioned above plus "iprange" addition seemed responsible for making all the test platforms visible
    including the network and workgroup.)

I modified it and added it to the "Allow ip" section of "firewall.bash" as:

Code:

iptables -A TRUSTED -i eth0 -m iprange --src-range 192.168.2.1-192.168.2.255 -j ACCEPT
    Rebooting the system revealed the new firewall to be active and functional. NmapFE also showed the new firewall to be functioning as to scans.

I should be able to distribute the firewall solution to the other Ubuntu platforms in my network as needed.

Thanks again for the excellent programming and tutorial --- and most of all, your considerate and timely responses,

-met-
    Catz3705
    Last edited by Catz3705; April 8th, 2008 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Addition of extra text

Beans

Hi I am trying to fix a rule to allow connections to my vsftpd server with TLS/SSLconnections. Do you have any idea of how i can fix this ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

it depends on which port you run your FTP server, anyway all the answers about your problem are in page 18 of this thread.
    Always think to search in this thread using the search features, many questions have been answered already and many problem solved.

Beans

Thank you. It works now for active connections but no passive connections with this settings
    Code:
    iptables -A ALLOWED_PORT -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 21 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A ALLOWED_PORT -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --sport 21 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A ALLOWED_PORT -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --sport 20 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A ALLOWED_PORT -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --sport 1024:65535 --dport 1024:65535 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
    But I do not understand how it works, can someone explain ?
    1. Why do I care about sport at all ? Is it not enough to only care about my server ports ?
    2. Is not this insecure ?
    Code:
    iptables -A ALLOWED_PORT -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --sport 20 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
    Does this mean that after a connection he can connect to witch ever port he wants on my computer if he chose to use port 20 ?
    I thought that I should use dport for all in trafic and sport/dport for all out traffic.
    Last edited by durus; April 8th, 2008 at 06:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For the 3 first rules sport is indeed useless and one should use dport instead, sport are more used when filtering outgoing connection which is not the case here.
    If you ask me i would tell you that the simple fact to run a service make your computer more vulnerable so you can limit the risk but not eradicate it.

For passive ports you may need to add the ip_conntrack module before the ip_conntrack_ftp one.

For me you don't need to allow ESTABLISHED and RELATED as they are already allowed earlier in the script so for me only the first line is useful and at home i only open dport 21 in input to allow ftp traffic.

BTW i guess ALLOWED_PORT is a chain you created right ?

Beans

It still does not work. As you guessed ALLOWED_PORT is a chain. You can my rules here. I have not removed dose last rules as you mentioned but I will do that when every thing is working.

Code:
    # No spoofing
    if [ -e /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/rp_filter ]
    then
    for filtre in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/rp_filter
    do
    echo 1 > $filtre
    done
    fi 

# No icmp
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_all
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts

#load some modules you may need
    modprobe ip_tables
    modprobe ip_nat_ftp
    modprobe ip_nat_irc
    modprobe iptable_filter
    modprobe iptable_nat 
    modprobe ip_conntrack #added for ftp passive mode ?
    modprobe ip_conntrack_irc
    modprobe ip_conntrack_ftp

# Remove all rules and chains
    iptables -F
    iptables -X

# Create chains
    iptables -N FIREWALL
    iptables -N TRUSTED
    iptables -N ALLOWED_PORT

# first set the default behaviour => accept connections
    iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
    iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
    iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT

# Send all INPUT packets to the FIREWALL chain
    iptables -A INPUT -j FIREWALL

# DROP all forward packets, we don't share internet connection in this example
    iptables -A FORWARD -j DROP

# FIREWALL Chain start _____________ 

# Allow ESTABLISHED and RELATED incoming connection
    iptables -A FIREWALL -i eth0 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
    # Allow loopback traffic
    iptables -A FIREWALL -i lo -j ACCEPT
    # Send all packages to chains
    iptables -A FIREWALL -j TRUSTED
    iptables -A FIREWALL -j ALLOWED_PORT
    # DROP all other packets
    iptables -A FIREWALL -j DROP
    # _____

# TRUSTED Chain start _____________ 
    # VNC
    iptables -A TRUSTED -i eth0 -s 192.168.0.2 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 5901 -j ACCEPT 

# ____

# ALLOWED_PORT chain
    # SSH
    iptables -A ALLOWED_PORT -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
    # FTP
    iptables -A ALLOWED_PORT -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 21 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A ALLOWED_PORT -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --sport 21 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A ALLOWED_PORT -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --sport 1024:65535 --dport 1024:65535 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

# _____

# End message
    echo " [End iptables rules setting]"

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast