Thread: Upgrade to Ubunbtu 10.10; Partitions

Beans

Upgrade to Ubunbtu 10.10; Partitions

I would like to know how to make sure my /home is on the right partition so I can perform an upgrade to my o/s without losing data. I currently am using LinuxMint.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Upgrade to Ubunbtu 10.10; Partitions

You will have to back up only what is important because preserving all of your home partition from Linux Mint to Ubuntu will mess up menus, apps, settings... it needs to be formatted when installing Ubuntu.
    IRC: AndrewMC
    LaunchPAD: AndrewMC
    Forums: SpockVulcan

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by UtahApocalypse View Post
    I would like to know how to make sure my /home is on the right partition so I can perform an upgrade to my o/s without losing data.
    Post the terminal output of:

Code:
    df -h
    That will tell us

Quote Originally Posted by SpockVulcan View Post
    You will have to back up only what is important because preserving all of your home partition from Linux Mint to Ubuntu will mess up menus, apps, settings... it needs to be formatted when installing Ubuntu.
    Are you sure? Even the unique Mint Menu uses the same configuration as the standard gnome menu. If the worst happened the OP could delete the hidden configuration files/folders that are causing problems and these would be regenerated with defaults at the next gnome login. The menu might be more of a challenge though.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SpockVulcan View Post
    That's not really true. There may be some incompatibilities between Mint's icons, menus, etc. and Ubuntu's, but I'd expect most icons, menus, and so on would continue to work. If they don't, it's always possible to create a new account or create a new home directory and then just move all your non-configuration files to the new home directory (moving within a filesystem takes almost no time). This will be much faster and safer than backing up and restoring more than a trivial amount of data.

Beans

make a new partition, then move /home there, then reinstall
    First they ignore you.Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you.Then you win.Gandhi
    Linux para las masas
    Resistance Is Futile. You Will Be Assimilated!