Thread: Alps Touch Pad typing issue

Beans

Alps Touch Pad typing issue

Hello, I installed Ubuntu on my laptop, and everything seems to work properly, except the touch pad's tap-click feature. I want to leave the tap type enabled, but, I also want to be able to type, and not worry about touching the touch pad and mistakenly clicking something. In Windows, it does just this, it disables the touch pad while typing. I was wondering if there was a way to do this in Ubuntu also?

I believe the touch pad is an Alps touch pad.
    Last edited by Master_Taco; April 29th, 2009 at 12:51 AM.

Beans

Re: Alps Touch Pad typing issue

Bump.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

There's a utility called syndaemon that does this for you. Open a terminal and type "info syndaemon". It'll give you a list of options. Here's what I use:

Code:
     syndaemon -i 2 -d -t -k
    Meaning that the touchpad tap is disabled for 2 seconds after the last keypress, it starts in the background as a daemon, it ignores modifier keys like Ctrl, Alt etc, and the mouse can still move (though it can't tap).

Add this to your startup programs and you're set! Hope this helps.

Beans

Thanks, I'll give that a try, and get back to you with results!

Beans

It did work! However, I cannot get it to start up with the machine. I tried using Startup Applications (System>Preferences>Startup Applications) and it did not work. I may be doing something wrong? Here is a screen shot of my configuration...

Beans
    Distro

Could you check system monitor and see if the syndaemon process is running after rebooting and adding to startup.

Note: I know you've probably done this, but no harm in checking - ensure that it's "ticked" in the startup dialog box.

Beans

Actually, it was fine the way it was, except I forgot the "2" after the -i parameter... Thanks a ton for your help!

Beans
    Distro

It takes 2 by default, so that shouldn't have caused problems. But if all is working now, then great!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

i am using an alps touchpad, but can not get this to work because it says it is unable to find a synaptics device. Any ideas?