Thread: Very easy way to help the Nouveau developers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Very easy way to help the Nouveau developers!

Even if you do NOT use Nouveau, you can help out the nVidia developers and it will take at most twenty minutes. If you have an nVidia GPU using an NV40 core or newer, they would like you to download some of their BIOS dumping tools with Git, compile and run them, and email the results to them.

News story:
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=ODY2Nw
    Instructions:
    http://github.com/pathscale/pscnv/wiki/TestingTimings

The wiki page doesn't doesn't give compile instructions or list the dependencies, but it's very easy and I figured it out without too much trouble. Just git clone the pgtest repository (git://0x04.net/pgtest) and the vbtracetool repository (git://anongit.freedesktop.org/~stuart/vbtracetool), and to compile each one, cd to the directory and just type "make." You need to install libpci-dev and libpciacces-dev for it to work. Once you've got them compiled, the instructions I linked to above are very easy to follow.

This presents NO RISK to your graphics card. It reads from your GPU's BIOS and registers but DOES NOT MODIFY THEM! The worst that could happen is your X server hanging, and that didn't happen for me.

The Nouveau devs already have this info from 68 different computers (including mine,) but could probably use more. Please, if you want to further this open-source nVidia driver, now is your chance to help!

(NOTE: I'm not a Nouveau developer, I'm just posting this on my own initiative.)
    Last edited by MaxIBoy; October 13th, 2010 at 09:22 PM.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans

Re: Very easy way to help the Nouveau developers!

Done!

Beans

Will do that tonight. I just hope it is legal.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Also done here

Some notes: it's libpciaccess-dev (with two s)

To also do the optional nvbios help:
    Reqs (may be some more pkgs than these)
    Code:
    libxml2-dev cmake bison flex
    Envytools git: git://github.com/pathscale/envytools.git
    Compile:
    Code:
    cmake .
    make

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Done! Hope it helps them.
    The early bird gets the worm. . . But the second mouse gets the cheese, and the early worm gets eaten.
    Unwarranted Self Promotion