Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10.10 64bit AHCI hosed

Beans

Exclamation 10.10 AHCI hosed - 2.6.35 32/64bit won't boot on Dell T3500 workstation

I upgraded my 64bit 10.04 install, and now linux refuses to boot. It can't find the hard drive, and there's what appears to be a stack trace from the kernel with lots of AHCI references. It then complains about not finding the install drive and drops to busybox.

I proceeded to download the 10.10 64bit iso, and during boot from the CD the same problem happens.

Oh, it actually looks like the problem is in modprobe. first line in Call Trace is ahci_deinit_port. after the trace it says '/sbin/modprobe -bv pci:vxxxxx' unexpected exit with status 0x0009.

This is a Dell T3500 workstation. I can't disable AHCI, since I think that will hose my Windows install.
    Last edited by codingismy11to7; October 19th, 2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: clarified subject

Beans

Re: 10.10 64bit AHCI hosed

Dear Ubuntu Community,
    I also am facing the exact same problem. The same workstation, same error and all. I am not sure if it has to do with AHCI but I have recently set up dual monitor before upgrading to 10.10.

After the unexpected exit with status 0x0009 message, it said "Gave up waiting for root device: common problems:
    - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
    - check rootdelay = (did system wait long enough?)
    - Check root = (did the system wait for the right device?)
    - Missing moduloes (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
    ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/(some big name for my hard drive) does not exist. Dropping to a shell!
    BusyBox v1.13.3 ...
    (initramfs)

I tried to repair grub with super grub and with live CD. Both gave the exact same errors with failure to boot!

I never had this problem with any ubuntu upgrade. It seems there is not much help out there on these two error messages. I would really really appreciate any kind of guidance and help.
    Waiting for the responses,
    Thank you
    Lohith
    Last edited by lohith; October 16th, 2010 at 08:37 AM.

Beans

just fyi, downloaded and tried the 32 bit and it acts exactly the same. live cd acts the same, can't load ahci or find the cdrom.

one post from years ago about Arch linux described a very similar error, but in that case it eventually booted. can't remember exactly, but i think it was an issue with the nvidia driver plus the ahci driver. in that post they ended up somehow blacklisting the ahci module.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Having so many problems on this particular hardware, wasn't it best to stick to 10.04?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Exact same problem. How could they have broken something as basic as ahci compatibility, and not fixed it without releasing. In any case, reverting back to ata mode fixed it for me.

Beans

Hi all,
    good news!! I figured out the solution (at least for my system).
    It seems to be a problem with booting from the wrong (incompatible/faulty) kernel.
    Step1:
    Use the live CD. If the 10.10 does not work (as in my case) use the older ones (9.10 or 10.04). Burn a new image CD if you can. It should boot you in, with the previous default kernel for that Ubuntu version. From this, you can make modifications to the system.
    Step2:
    I needed to change the timeout in the /boot/grub/menu.lst to more than 0 to be able to choose which kernel I want to boot from.

For this, you need to mount the partition where you have your GRUB so you can modify files on your disk including the crucial menu.lst file. In my case it is /dev/sda5
    Code:
    mkdir /media/newroot
    mount /dev/sda5 /media/newroot

Now you will see your hard disk mounted and you can do whatever you want with the data there. For example, in case if the data is so important, install a backup software like sbackup and backup (or at least copy) the disk to a storage media so you do not loose data.

Try step 4 directly. Use step 3 if step 4 fails.

Step 3:
    In the menu.lst, check to see if you have root=uuid (long sting representing the hard disk). Change that to root=/dev/sda5 ro quiet splash (/dev/sda5 is my partition where I have my GRUB).

Step 4:
    Reboot and choose to boot from the 32.25 instead of the latest 35.22 kernel. For me it was the third from the list.

You may want to change the order of kernels in the menu.lst file so the first one is the one that works.

Let me know if this solution works for you. I am curious!

Happy that two weekend late night's effort did not go in vain... Hurray! Hope my solution works for you guys too! Have a great weekend guys..

Lohith

Beans

Never occurred to me to boot an old kernel, duh. That at least boots my system. Didn't have to change anything else, and my Grub was already set to give me the boot menu. I'm gonna comment out this new kernel in the config and hope a future update works.

Beans

...and other problems spring up.
    Upgrade removed my old kernel-headers, and I can't get them back without some level of annoyance involving old packages.
    Therefore I can't install nvidia drivers straight from nvidia.
    Can't use drivers from 10.10 since they require newer kernel.
    Ended up disabling nouveau modesetting with a file in /etc/modules.d, and changing my xserver to use the nv driver. Have no compositing or 3d support.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    Having so many problems on this particular hardware, wasn't it best to stick to 10.04?
    Perhaps, but I didn't burn an ISO, I just upgraded from my previous install. I had no idea that any of this would happen.

Tempted to reburn 04 and just reinstall, since my install was pretty recent and this isn't my primary machine - but this is definitely something that other people are going to run into.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    I don't agree with your comment. There are plenty of reasons why someone can and should try a new version of a software. There are reasons why people live on the bleeding edge of technology. Besides, have you looked at your own signature of late? Doesn't that typify the attitude of a lot of folks who use any version of Linux? Besides, that's not to say that the person who is trying a new version has ditched the older one - for all you know, they maybe just be playing with the latest version and may have run into issues using the latest version.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast