Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: free laptop, unsure about whether to install 32 or 64 bit maverick meerkat

free laptop, unsure about whether to install 32 or 64 bit maverick meerkat

my friend recently dropped this laptop onto me for free, albeit with a broken screen. i'm thinking about installing maverick meerkat on it and then windows 7.

http://www.buy.com/prod/toshiba-sate...205632241.html

I've never owned a 64 bit processor before but before i start installing can i get a confirmation that the athlon turion 64 is indeed a 64 bit processor and requires the respective 64 bit versions of ubuntu 10.10 and windows 7?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: free laptop, unsure about whether to install 32 or 64 bit maverick meerkat

It doesn't require, but I see no reason not to use the 64-bit
    If this helped you, please take the time to rate the value of this post:
    http://rate.affero.net/andrewthomas/

Beans

64 Bit versions of things always give me problems so I just installed the 64 Bit Meerkat for my Machine.

sorry i'm not sure i follow you leo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It is optional for you to install a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system. Either 32-bit or 64-bit Linux/Windows will work well for you. Just couple of considerations: first, a 64-bit processor is faster than 32-bit and second, many times there is better support for 32-bit than 64-bit in general software. Popular software often doesn't hurts about this though, so you are good to go with 64-bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

My laptop has a Turion chip in it and it is using the 64-bit version. You can use either a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Linux or Windows on it. It does not matter about the combination that you use it (i.e.-You can use 64-bit Linux and 32-bit Windows or 32-bit Linux and 64-bit Windows).

My thought is that you install the 64-bit version. There is no reason why you shouldn't. Worst case is that you find out that it is too difficult and decide to switch back to 32-bit. However, most things seem to be running fairly well in 64-bit now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by princeofnam View Post
    sorry i'm not sure i follow you leo
    +1
    If this helped you, please take the time to rate the value of this post:
    http://rate.affero.net/andrewthomas/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Lightbulb Re: free laptop, unsure about whether to install 32 or 64 bit maverick meerkat

Since that machine only has 1GB of RAM, I'd install the 32 bit version.
    If it had 4GB of RAM, I'd install the 64 bit version.
    24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not!

Trusty Tahr 64 bit, AMD Phenom II 955 Quad Core 3.2GHz, GeForce 9600 GT
    16G PC2-6400 RAM, 128 GB SSD, Twin 1TB SATA 7200 RPM RAID0

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I don't really see a reason to install 32 bit. The world is pretty much moving over to only 64 bit, and using the 64 bit os will take advantage of your processors 64 bit architecture which the 32 bit will not.

Regards,
    David
    NetForge Solutions -- Web Design
    BetterBizTech -- Web Development and Cloud Applications
    BetterBizWorks, LLC -- Online Marketing and Business Services
    Registered Linux User #432404

i installed 64 bit and i've heard from others the support has been terrible so far actually? I run an ATI radeon x1200 as well. are the drivers any different between 32 and 64 bit ubuntu?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast