Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When I get online I lose Top Panel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

When I get online I lose Top Panel

Let me say hi and apologize for not staying in touch -- I find that what brings me here is only a problem I can't solve on my own. So I've only come back when I need you. Sorry about that.

My problem is that at some point last night, I discovered that I had lost my top panel, leaving me without any way to get back to my desktop. [I first noticed it when I went to get back to my game and had no way to get there.] And I have no "Minimize, full-size, smaller-size, and QUIT or exit" in the right-hand corner. IS that the right-hand corner of the bar on top now that says "File, Edit, View, History, Bookmarks, Tools, Help?

At first I found that I could click on History and when I dragged that down I was seeing the top panel...but now that history site has stopped appearing when I click it so the only way I can get to the desktop is to press the on/off button on the computer and the Quit options GUI appears. (if, indeed, that is the terminology for that picture that appears offering me the option to shut down). Then when I restart, I am back at the desktop. BUT as soon as I get online, the top panel AGAIN disappears. I'm adding screenshots of With Library and then what I lose when I close Library.
    Can you help me with this?

Edit: I want to add a thought. It seems to me that the whole picture is oversized -- I realize I lose the bottom panel too, so I don't see what is minimized, etc.

CAN YOU BELIEVE I was clicking around, clicked on "View" and at the bottom it said "Full Screen" and I clicked there and the top and bottom panels came back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris Edgell; October 13th, 2010 at 11:39 PM. Reason: I solved it myself

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I ost my resize/exit buttons

Let me say hi and apologize for not staying in touch -- I find that what brings me here is only a problem I can't solve on my own. So I've only come back when I need you. Sorry about that.

I solved half of my problem but I still have no resize and exit buttons up in the right hand corner..which of course makes it very hard because I cannot minimize anything.

What can I do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: When I get online I lose Top Panel

Hi and please do not create multiple threads on the same issue. Threads merged.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Where have you been Chris? Now is this solved or am I reading it wrong? I do know that you can add a panel if you have at least one by right clicking the panel and then -> add panel. You can also add to existing panels. Is that your problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Rex, thank you for your greeting. One day I'll write something about my absence and send it to the people who have treated me so well (I feel some guilt for dropping out without a word--I can't quell that feeling by just going on as if NOTHING happened), although the need to explain also hampered my urge to come here; so as I said I may write one day, In the meantime it's great to see you again.

Well, I had marked solved the half that was solved, then asked the other part -- but Overdrank merged them, making it seemed solved. [I guess he didn't want the solved question to sink into oblivion...while the other question took on a fresh life.]

I believe that I somehow clicked full screen and then had only remedied that by going to view and re-adding the toolbars, so had never gotten the full screen adjusted to show the bottom and top panels.

I had also noticed that the minimizer, maximizer, and exit area was blank. Now, since I'd narrowed it down to that problem, it would seem that that stuff was grayed-out and once when clicking the blank area up there, they CAME BACK. Someone once said, about computers, "If it goes away for no apparent reason, it can come back for no apparent reason." That's how it looks to me -- so THESE problems both seem very much solved.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Chris Edgell; October 14th, 2010 at 03:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you press f11 it takes you to full screen mode. Easily done by accident. If it happens again just press f11 again to go back to normal mode.
    Dell Inspiron 1501 AMD Sempron, 4GB RAM, 120GB HDD, running 14.04 64Bit
    Dell Latitude D830 Centrino duo 4GB RAM 320GB HDD, running 13.10 64Bit
    Raspberry Pi running Rasbian
    Ubuntu User #32384

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you migs73!

Isn't it amazing how such a small move can wreak such havoc and then to have to work so hard to find the tiny remedy.

Reminds me that, "Experience may be the best teacher, but it can be the most expensive."

See ya'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Darn, again, something is wrong... I'll show you the screenshot and you'll see that I do have the top and bottom panels and the toolbars, BUT please notice I cannot find ANY Minimize, Maximize, Quit buttons. So this time the full screen F11, doesn't do the trick...anybody, any ideas?

I can't see the top of the online window and THAT'S where those buttons would be; and so too, of course, I can't drag the window around.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

WELL, I right-clicked on that top panel of the opening screen... then I moved the top panel to down the right side and it showed the top panel. I still don't see how it came to "hide" beneath the top panel running across the top.

I wonder if I put that panel back across the top if it will hide that top againn.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Try pressing the Alt key and at the same time left click on the mouse (anywhere on the Firefox window) and drag it clear of the top panel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast