Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: [Howto] Asus T91MT and Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick)

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: [Howto] Asus T91MT and Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick)

the copy of twofing that I attached has a hackish workaround for the seg fault I had been experiencing, so, hopefully you won't get that crashing problem at all..

if you drag two fingers along the screen it scrolls, if you start dragging with two fingers, lift one up, keep dragging and then lift the second finger up, it gives a kinetic scroll. Pinch zooming works pretty well and if you hold two fingers down for a couple seconds, when you lift them up you get the right click menu.

Beans
    Hidden!

Plippo has released a new version of twofing, it's available for download from here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/T1...TOUCH%20DAEMON

Just one change that T91MT users need to make, edit 70-touchscreen-egalax.rules and change 480d to 0185 before "sudo make install"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

alright, I'm having a problem with the poulsbo driver installation. Mostly with the fact that it's not working. I installed it, then restarted, and now, I have no graphics what-so-ever. the login screen is just text (I don't know the term, but I think it's bash)

when I restarted and chose ubuntu in grub, it brought up text stating

Ubuntu 10.10 Jack-T91MT tty1

Jack-T91MT login:

when I login it just displays the last login, the linux type and some minor system information and a welcome message then an update message then the normal command prefix (User@computername:~$)

I was able to see graphics without the driver, when I installed, it just seemed to make things worse
    Last edited by razor180; December 10th, 2010 at 10:36 AM.
    My deviantArt page:http://razor180.deviantart.com/
    Words of Wisdom:
    1. "This Sucks" Everyone who has ever lived past the age of 10 (phrasing and language may vary)

Beans

Please help, whenever i install the graphics driver my Wireless is automatically disabled, as if the hardware wasnt even there. and it pressing Fn F2 doesnt turn it back on like it should. ??

Beans
    Distro

have you tried going into ubuntu's wireless internet options and fixing it without the hotkey?
    have you also tried getting rid of and then reinstalling the wireless drivers?
    Last edited by razor180; December 15th, 2010 at 10:38 AM.
    Words of Wisdom:
    1. "This Sucks" Everyone who has ever lived past the age of 10 (phrasing and language may vary)

Beans
    Distro

disregard my message posted on here, I reloaded the OS, retried installing the video drivers and it worked perfectly (looks like I just had a bad install, no worries)

thank you for posting this information here

although on the graphics installation, I had to do apt-get instead of just aptitude because it didn't accept the command otherwise
    Words of Wisdom:

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by razzac11 View Post
    Please help, whenever i install the graphics driver my Wireless is automatically disabled, as if the hardware wasnt even there. and it pressing Fn F2 doesnt turn it back on like it should. ??
    My wireless worked at first but after something (kernel update?) it only works if I run

sudo rfkill unblock all

If this works for you, edit /etc/rc.local and add "rfkill unblock all" for a permanent workaround.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Really, really awesome. It's great to finally have some multitouch functionality in Ubuntu - forget some really this is exactly what I wanted when I first purchased this laptop. Awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by jtjs View Post
    Plippo has released a new version of twofing, it's available for download from here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/T1...TOUCH%20DAEMON

Just one change that T91MT users need to make, edit 70-touchscreen-egalax.rules and change 480d to 0185 before "sudo make install"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Grub problems: in /etc/default/grub when I change GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi_backlight=vendor acpi_osi=Linux" or anything more complicated I cannot get wifi to start.

lspci shows the wireless
    dmesg has plenty of ath0 throughout the booting sequence

but Fn-F2 fails to wake the wireless nor can I control it via the command line via iwlist/iwconfig etc. Network-manager shows no wireless connections found and so I'm stuck between having wireless and being able to control the back lights.

I believe this may have to do with the kernel Maverick is using as I remember having similar troubles using the same kernel in 10.4 but I really don't know how to go about rectifying the issue - other than trying different kernels which I would prefer not to have to do.

I see that yatt in post #4 has this similar issue with grub but there appears to be no work around at present. I would like to know if anyone other than myself is having similar issues. Any feedback or help would be very much appreciated.

Edit: Ozone your work around didn't work for some reason when I first tried, "rfkill ...". However, after I reinstalled the psb driver - as I installed 2.6.36 but of course psb didn't build on that kernel. So upon reinstalling psb driver on 2.35 I tried
    Code:
    #rfkill unblock all
    and I've got wireless. Hopefully it isn't just on this boot

Edit2: After three boots - I had to add "acpi_backlight=vendor" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT - wifi is working with Ozone's fix. Now the only issue for me is getting two finger scrolling working, and I guess eventually three finger page turning on the touchpad. Happy holidays!
    Last edited by yigal.weinstein; December 25th, 2010 at 12:06 AM. Reason: wireless works after psb driver rebuild and reinstall

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jtjs View Post

I just installed the two-finger touch daemon and I have to say, YAY!

Now my T91MT does all I could ask for. A long wait for sure, all the while experimenting with various Linux distros and putting up with with a lot of Windows 7 in between, but in the end, worth it!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast