Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: [Howto] Asus T91MT and Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: [Howto] Asus T91MT and Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick)

I can't get the screen rotate button to work at all, I don't even think it's acknowledging that I'm hitting it. I'm almost to the point where I'm going to learn how to make a python GUI script to make a button that will rotate my screen orientation 90 degrees every time it's clicked (or possibly making an applet, but the button seems easier) just by activating scripts that are already there

I've edited and added the files like instructed, but nothing happened, my wireless didn't even go out, I did reset grub and I did the xhost thing, but it didn't work
    My deviantArt page:http://razor180.deviantart.com/
    Words of Wisdom:
    1. "This Sucks" Everyone who has ever lived past the age of 10 (phrasing and language may vary)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi razor180,

I'm almost to the point where I'm going to learn how to make a python GUI script to make a button that will rotate my screen orientation 90 degrees every time it's clicked
    The rotation engine for Magick Rotation, xrotate.py, already does that. Counter clockwise steps, see README for instructions. Magick Rotation: https://launchpad.net/magick-rotation

Out of curiosity does the Asus T91MT auto-rotate in Windows? In other words is there a switch somewhere that signals it is in tablet mode?

Beans
    Distro

thanks favux, I did find a way to do it through the terminal and I was going to write a script to do that, but this is much easier, thanks

what tells windows it's in tablet mode (and forces the CPU down to 800mhz no matter what you're doing) is changing the orientation by pressing and holding the screen rotate button to rotate the screen
    Words of Wisdom:
    1. "This Sucks" Everyone who has ever lived past the age of 10 (phrasing and language may vary)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Glad it's working for you. Saved you some time anyway.
    what tells windows it's in tablet mode (and forces the CPU down to 800mhz no matter what you're doing) is changing the orientation by pressing and holding the screen rotate button to rotate the screen
    Sounds like they didn't include a tablet mode switch so auto-rotation won't be available. Too bad, it would have been fun to see if we could have added it to Magick.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I posted instructions on the eeeuser wiki on fixing the rotate button scripts under Maverik (original fix from ian57).

Beans
    Distro

well, I have a problem (and I think most t91mt ubuntu users have just haven't noticed it)

if you listen real closely you can hear a quiet hissing noise coming from your speakers, now I don't hear this in windows at all, so I think it's probably ubuntu's audio drivers. I don't know how to fix this and I'm not sure if most other t91mt ubuntu users have it, but if you want to see, take a pair of headphones and plug them into the jack and you'll easily be able to hear it

I've only seen one other person post about this problem on this topic, with no response

EDIT: going back to the rotate screen button problem (and I've been having problems getting magick to initialize) I tried the fixes in the updated wiki with no success, I ran dmesg and it's telling me unknown key e4 pressed or unknown key e5 pressed. I'm also getting errors for unknown keys 57 and 58 (but not as frequent as e4 or e5). Another thing, I waited for the screen to start dimming for its process of making the screen sleep after 5 minutes idle, and I pressed the screen rotate key and the screen kept on dimming (normally any interactive action on the computer would stop this, but pressing the screen rotate button did not stop this process)

EDIT 2: looks like I misunderstood the instructions partially, but I went back and fixed rotatescreen.sh and made sure it was right this time, restarted the computer, ran xhost local and pressed the button and I'm still getting the same error for buttons e4 and e5
    Last edited by razor180; January 24th, 2011 at 12:53 PM.
    Words of Wisdom:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The e4/e5 error messages are to be expected, I get them and it works fine.

Try adding
    Code:
    date >> /tmp/rotate.log
    to the top of /etc/acpi/rotatescreen.sh (just under the comment block).

Then press the button. If you get a /tmp/rotate.log file with the timestamp in it, then you know that the script is running, button is working and it's just the rotation portion that is broken. If you don't then you need to fix the button.

the xhost :local command didn't actually work for me (although I have noticed that the wiki entry I made had :local not local: so I might have been doing it wrong). I had to apply the extra block of code to the bottom of /etc/acpi/rotatescreen.sh from the wiki.

Did you create the /etc/acpi/events/asus-rotate-t91 file with the correct lines?

I can hear that slight hissing sound with headphones plugged in, I normally use bluetooth ones so it's not really an issue for me. I've also come to expect some minor hissing from speakers anyway since I often have things like VGA cards emitting enough radiation to cause dragging windows around to be slightly audible. Wish they would start producing digital headphones.

Try googling around for alsa hiss, or snd-hda-intel hiss or whatever.

If you wanted it fixed, first you would have to figure out if it was pulseaudio or alsa, so you would probably have to uninstall pulse. Then you would have to submit a bug to the alsa people (assuming its them).

Beans

Hi Everyone,

First, thank you to everyone that has put all of this information together - its been incredibly helpful. My T91MT is working well except for the fact that I cannot play back any video. I've tried a couple of different video players (including MPlayer and VLC) and several different video formats. In every case, it appears as if it will play the video but the screen of the player is blank and there is no sound.

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Ubuntu, so I don't even know where to begin to start debugging. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've installed Meerkat Netbook remix, gma500 PPA (https://launchpad.net/~gma500/+archive/ppa), Utouch PPA (https://launchpad.net/~utouch-team/+archive/utouch).

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mrov View Post
    Hi Everyone,

First, thank you to everyone that has put all of this information together - its been incredibly helpful. My T91MT is working well except for the fact that I cannot play back any video. I've tried a couple of different video players (including MPlayer and VLC) and several different video formats. In every case, it appears as if it will play the video but the screen of the player is blank and there is no sound.

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Ubuntu, so I don't even know where to begin to start debugging. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've installed Meerkat Netbook remix, gma500 PPA (https://launchpad.net/~gma500/+archive/ppa), Utouch PPA (https://launchpad.net/~utouch-team/+archive/utouch).

Thanks in advance.
    Hi Everyone,

I found a fix to my problems:
    VLC-->Settings-->Preferences Video-->Output modules-->Advanced: X11

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by H3g3m0n View Post
    I posted instructions on the eeeuser wiki on fixing the rotate button scripts under Maverik (original fix from ian57).
    i'm a bit puzzled... all seems ok but it doesn't happen!

grub seems ok:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor acpi_skip_timer nomodeset video=uvesafb:mode_option=1024x600-24,mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap pci=nocrs mem=896mb"

/etc/acpi/events/asus-rorate-t91 is created with 0000007b. a /etc/acpi/events/asus-rorate is already present with 0000009b.

the silver butter is firing the rotatescreen.sh : the date >> /tmp/rotate.org test works wherever i put it, i've also checked the /var/lib/acpi-support/screen-rotation file after pressing the button and it works well too, but the screen doesn't move any pixel!

also, from a terminal, the script /etc/acpi/rotatescreen.sh rotates screen as expected.

all seems ok but the /usr/bin/xrandr -o $NEW_ROTATION seems doing nothing when i press that button !!

some additionnal remarks:
    when i put both events files (asus-rotate & asus-rotate-t91) to 0000007b or to 0000009b the results are the same (the rotate file fires).
    dmsg has a hidden error message when the button is held pushed: unknown key ea (windows use this action to rotate). yeah! i'm glad to contribute
    Last edited by mmanu; March 19th, 2011 at 07:20 AM. Reason: typos

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast