Thread: Best Free Web Hosting?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Best Free Web Hosting?

What is the "best" free web host you know of? I have this awesome site built, however, I can only view it on my laptop - as I can't seem to find a good free host. I've tried a lot of them. I need one that allows a lot of different file extensions. I do need to have FTP access to it, cause that's how i'll be uploading my files. I don't care if it has cPanel too or not. And also, no banners or ads. So, I ask you, through experience, who is the best free web host? (Also, if you have your own server and you'd be willing to host my site - less than 10MB right now - then please PM me!!!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Best Free Web Hosting?

Well I can personally recommend freehostia as pretty good, the ftp can be a little wonky but once you know how to do it, it is very easy. Also a really cheap hoster is hole in the wall hosting which comes with super high reviews from the people I know that use it.

Beans
    Distro

Freehosia requires you to already have a domain name doesn't it? I don't have one. Is there an option to use a sub-domain such as blahblahblah.freehostia.com? I didn't see that option.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by GrantStoner View Post
    Freehosia requires you to already have a domain name doesn't it? I don't have one. Is there an option to use a sub-domain such as blahblahblah.freehostia.com? I didn't see that option.
    I think it does... it says:

FREE

Domains Hosted 5
    Sub-domains 15

According to this page: http://www.freehostia.com/hosting.html

If not then... buu that stinks you need to own a domain to use the free hosting there

I think with this you can do a free domain thing from here: http://www.nic.cz.cc/index.php?ref=Amaresh
    And probably use it with freehosia.. that is if freehosia doesn't give any
    Last edited by sendblink23; October 13th, 2010 at 06:15 AM.
    Desktop Build mobo: MSI 790FX-GD70 | cpu: Phenom ii x4 965BE C3 @ 4.02Ghz | gfx: Sapphire + XFX 5770 CrossfireX + EVGA 9800GTX+
    ram: 8gb DDR3-1333Mhz | hd: 1TB (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) + 500gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.7) + 400gb (Kubuntu 11.04 x64)

Beans

Why not use no-ip or dyndns or some such outfit and redirect url requests to a server running on your machine? It's about $10/year to mask the url so that users don't see a numeric domain name and port #. I use no-ip because they can port redirect.
    Debian Stable
    FluxBox
    Mark Your Thread Solved

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Barriehie View Post
    Why not use no-ip or dyndns or some such outfit and redirect url requests to a server running on your machine? It's about $10/year to mask the url so that users don't see a numeric domain name and port #. I use no-ip because they can port redirect.
    Randomly asking(since I've never set up a server) won't he need his computer running 24/7 for that?
    Desktop Build mobo: MSI 790FX-GD70 | cpu: Phenom ii x4 965BE C3 @ 4.02Ghz | gfx: Sapphire + XFX 5770 CrossfireX + EVGA 9800GTX+
    ram: 8gb DDR3-1333Mhz | hd: 1TB (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) + 500gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.7) + 400gb (Kubuntu 11.04 x64)

Beans
    Distro

Well, if freehostia does allow you to do that, then I can't figure it out for the life of me. Any other suggestions?

Beans

Online solutions are definitely the way to go! I used to use free solutions, which I thought were free – but because there was so much installation and effort – it ended up costing me tons of $$ and headache.

Now there are solutions like haikuob.com where it is hosted, and all of the tech part is done for you. I have my own business going on it, and it handles the shopping cart, website, customer database, email marketing and it’s all in one system! I’ll never go back to regular hosting or scripts – ever.