Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 74

Thread: lirc and streamzap on upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Beans
    330
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: lirc and streamzap on upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10

    Quote Originally Posted by superm1 View Post
    OK so it's loading streamzap for you. That's correct. So it's not working in that configuration. Try disabling lirc (you can just stop it with the init script - /etc/init.d/lirc stop) and see if it works with the native configuration with the module in the OS with a few number keys.
    For me it's the arrows, the volume and the power keys that work using a streamzap (from '05 if it makes a difference) without lirc. These work even if I leave lirc running and configured to my regular use (non streamzap) remote that uses the same ir receiver.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Beans
    647

    Re: lirc and streamzap on upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10

    Quote Originally Posted by superm1 View Post
    OK so it's loading streamzap for you. That's correct. So it's not working in that configuration. Try disabling lirc (you can just stop it with the init script - /etc/init.d/lirc stop) and see if it works with the native configuration with the module in the OS with a few number keys.
    Killing lirc doesn't seem to make a difference.

    After I stop lirc, the same couple of buttons work and the same buttons that don't work, continue to not work. hmmm

    Any other thoughts?

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Beans
    2,983
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: lirc and streamzap on upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10

    Well if you have some working without lirc, you might be able to xmodmap the missing buttons.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Beans
    647

    Re: lirc and streamzap on upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10

    Quote Originally Posted by superm1 View Post
    Well if you have some working without lirc, you might be able to xmodmap the missing buttons.
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install xmodmap
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Package xmodmap is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    However the following packages replace it:
      x11-xserver-utils
    
    E: Package 'xmodmap' has no installation candidate

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Beans
    2,983
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: lirc and streamzap on upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10

    Quote Originally Posted by davidstoll View Post
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install xmodmap
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Package xmodmap is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    However the following packages replace it:
      x11-xserver-utils
    
    E: Package 'xmodmap' has no installation candidate
    Yeah, that package x11-xserver-utils is where you would find it.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Beans
    647

    Re: lirc and streamzap on upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10

    Unfortunately, this is probably a bit more than I can handle. I would really rather know why it stopped working because it was working just fine before....

    I'm almost to the point where maybe I should just buy a different remote, but that sucks and kind of defeats the purpose of linux...figure out what is wrong and fix it.

    Should (and how) should I file a bug report? Or is it even a bug?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Beans
    330
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: lirc and streamzap on upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10

    you could get another remote like you mentioned, if you do keep in mind that the streamzap ir receiver works with other remotes. I personally use the one that came with my tv since it has buttons that switch it to control other devices like a dvr or dvd player.
    Another option would be to save the money and do a backup and reinstall the OS. On second thought you could boot a 10.10 live cd and install lirc to see if it will work. If it does then maybe reinstall the OS; after all you did have problems upgrading and the issues may lie deeper than the X11 package you had trouble with. A third option would be to do a "apt-get purge lirc" and reinstall the drivers.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Beans
    647

    Re: lirc and streamzap on upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10

    Quote Originally Posted by xinix View Post
    you could get another remote like you mentioned, if you do keep in mind that the streamzap ir receiver works with other remotes. I personally use the one that came with my tv since it has buttons that switch it to control other devices like a dvr or dvd player.
    Another option would be to save the money and do a backup and reinstall the OS. On second thought you could boot a 10.10 live cd and install lirc to see if it will work. If it does then maybe reinstall the OS; after all you did have problems upgrading and the issues may lie deeper than the X11 package you had trouble with. A third option would be to do a "apt-get purge lirc" and reinstall the drivers.
    Purging was a good idea because I only removed...but alas, it did not work.

    Also, when I did purge lirc, the same basic functionality remained...i.e. up, down, left right, but that is about it. So, it's like lirc is not even being used (or is being trumped by something else). I wonder if the remote is being detected as some other kind of device or something....?

    Unfortunately, this computer does not have an optical drive, so booting to a cd/dvd is not a particularly easy task. I guess I could do this and reinstall, but it's just a matter of having to re-setup everything...and it might not fix it if it is a bug.

    By the way, I just changed the remote to a Microsoft MCE remote and my remote didn't work at all on this machine (and it's working fine on my other one)....hmmm.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Beans
    647

    Re: lirc and streamzap on upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10

    I hooked up an external CD and booted up the live CD. The remote worked. I even ran irw and it gave me what I expected.

    So, I reformatted and re-installed (using ext4 rather than ext3, not sure if that is important, but it was different from what I have done before).

    Ok, so now up and down works, but left right doesn't. Also, the OK button works and also the exit button.

    The irw command gives me what I expect, but with garbage in between.

    But the bottom line is that it still isn't working properly.

    Code:
    $ irw
    00000000000028d0 00 UP Streamzap_PC_Remote
    ^[[A00000000000028d0 00 UP Streamzap_PC_Remote
    ^[[A00000000000028d0 01 UP Streamzap_PC_Remote
    00000000000028d4 00 DOWN Streamzap_PC_Remote
    ^[[B00000000000028d4 01 DOWN Streamzap_PC_Remote
    00000000000028d3 00 RIGHT Streamzap_PC_Remote
    ^[[C00000000000028d3 01 RIGHT Streamzap_PC_Remote
    00000000000028d1 00 LEFT Streamzap_PC_Remote
    ^[[D00000000000028d1 01 LEFT Streamzap_PC_Remote
    00000000000028d1 00 LEFT Streamzap_PC_Remote
    ^[[D00000000000028d1 01 LEFT Streamzap_PC_Remote
    00000000000028d1 00 LEFT Streamzap_PC_Remote
    ^[[D00000000000028d1 01 LEFT Streamzap_PC_Remote
    00000000000028d1 00 LEFT Streamzap_PC_Remote
    ^[[D00000000000028d1 01 LEFT Streamzap_PC_Remote
    00000000000028d1 02 LEFT Streamzap_PC_Remote
    00000000000028d1 03 LEFT Streamzap_PC_Remote
    00000000000028d1 04 LEFT Streamzap_PC_Remote
    ^[[D00000000000028d1 05 LEFT Streamzap_PC_Remote
    ^[[D^[[D^[[D^[[D^[[D00000000000028d0 00 UP Streamzap_PC_Remote
    ^[[A00000000000028d3 00 RIGHT Streamzap_PC_Remote
    ^[[C00000000000028d3 01 RIGHT Streamzap_PC_Remote
    00000000000028d3 02 RIGHT Streamzap_PC_Remote
    00000000000028d3 03 RIGHT Streamzap_PC_Remote
    ^[[C^[[C00000000000028d1 00 LEFT Streamzap_PC_Remote
    ^[[D00000000000028d1 01 LEFT Streamzap_PC_Remote
    00000000000028d1 02 LEFT Streamzap_PC_Remote
    00000000000028d3 00 RIGHT Streamzap_PC_Remote
    ^[[C00000000000028d3 01 RIGHT Streamzap_PC_Remote
    ^[[C^[[C^[[C^[[C^[[C^[[C^[[C00000000000028d2 00 OK Streamzap_PC_Remote
    00000000000028d2 01 OK Streamzap_PC_Remote
    It shouldn't have that extra crap. It's like it was working, but then an update broke something...I don't know...
    Last edited by davidstoll; October 16th, 2010 at 07:30 AM. Reason: still not working

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Beans
    647

    Re: lirc and streamzap on upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10

    So, maybe the garbage isn't really important in solving this problem.

    I decided to try and change one of the ~/.lirc/* files so that up was down and down was up. When I changed it, I noticed some behavior that made me think I should just comment out both the up and down buttons all together...and while I'm at it, I'll just comment out the left and right button functionallity too.

    Well, now all the buttons work. So, it was getting the up/down/left/right from somewhere else. I checked the other ~/.lirc/* files, but don't see anything suspicious.

    From where is it getting the up/down/left/right commands? If I can answer that, I probably know where the original problem existed.

    /home/david/.lirc/mythtv
    is attached, but had to add .txt as extension so I could attach it
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •