Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: failed to get i915 symbols, graphics turbo disabled error on boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: failed to get i915 symbols, graphics turbo disabled error on boot

Shiny New Tecra M11-130 with i5-520M with Intel QM57 Express Chipset with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD. Quite a good lappy under Ubuntu, but has some stability issues, i.e. the random freezing reported at the start of this and other very similar threads, requiring a power cycle.

As the graphics seemed to be working, it was almost as an afterthought that I followed up the i915 error message on bootup. That error and one other, that appeared after the latest (2011/3/26) batch of updates, seems to have been solved by

Quote Originally Posted by x_lk View Post
    Run following command,

Code:
    sudo echo "softdep intel_ips pre: i915" > /etc/modprobe.d/intel-ips-dep-i915.conf
    Then reboot.

The 'softdep' option tells modprobe that intel_ips module has a soft dependency on i915, meaning intel_ips can be loaded without i915, but will only provide limited functionality. With this option, modprobe will always try to load i915 before inserting intel_ips.
    from post 94 above.

I had been toying with the idea of starting a Tecra M11 thread asking for reports on the type of stability issues I'd been experiencing, but will hang fire for a few days to see whether this solves the random freezing issues.

Thanks, x_lk

By the way, being a relative n00b myself, I sympathise with the posters above who reported that 'intel-ips-dep-i915.conf' doesn't exist. It doesn't, until x_lk's command is executed (this is the '>' = "create, if doesn't exist", versus '>>' = "append text to end of file"). To create the file in /etc/modprobe.d you'll need privileges above sudo level. Just type

Code:
    sudo su -
    then type the password of the user you are currently in. You'll then be presented with the 'root' prompt, with a '#' at the end instead of the usual '$'. Be afraid.

Type

Code:
    echo "softdep intel_ips pre: i915" > /etc/modprobe.d/intel-ips-dep-i915.conf
    i.e. without the 'sudo' prefix. Once that's executed, type 'exit' and press return. Start breathing again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Magnificent 7 View Post
    By the way, being a relative n00b myself, I sympathise with the posters above who reported that 'intel-ips-dep-i915.conf' doesn't exist. It doesn't, until x_lk's command is executed (this is the '>' = "create, if doesn't exist", versus '>>' = "append text to end of file"). To create the file in /etc/modprobe.d you'll need privileges above sudo level. Just type

Code:
    sudo su -
    then type the password of the user you are currently in. You'll then be presented with the 'root' prompt, with a '#' at the end instead of the usual '$'. Be afraid.

Type

Code:
    echo "softdep intel_ips pre: i915" > /etc/modprobe.d/intel-ips-dep-i915.conf
    i.e. without the 'sudo' prefix. Once that's executed, type 'exit' and press return. Start breathing again.

Thanks for that. I always wondered what ever happened to good old "su" (I assumed Ubuntu replaced it with "sudo").

On another note, and back to the i915 issue: shortly after installing Ubuntu (10.10) and updating it, I installed StartUp-Manager to do a little tweaking with Grub. I can't be 100% sure, but I think I didn't have the "turbo disabled" message before that (see update below). Ever since I used StartUp-Manager (see update#2) I don't get the usplash in my monitor's native resolution (1600x900) either -- it shows in 640x480, even if I set vga=799 and GRUB_GFXMODE=1600x900. I've tried reinstalling Grub, but nothing changes. I don't want to reinstall the whole system, so I put up with the bootup lag, the annoying error message and the lack of the beautiful usplash I liked so much.

--- UPDATE ---
    Reinstalled Ubuntu (I had to be sure!). The error was there from the start, so please forget I even said that! No regrets, at least I got my nice usplash back (I'll never try StartUp-Manager again) (see update#2).

The only "solution" for me this far is blacklisting intel-ips, but I still get the lag before the splash.

--- UPDATE#2 ---
    Sorry for blaming StartUp-Manager. Apparently the splash resolution issue happens after I activate the NVIDIA additional driver. Funny, one would expect video to work *better* with a specific drive rather than a generic one. But I digress...
    Last edited by macflav; March 30th, 2011 at 04:16 AM. Reason: wrong info (please disregard text in red)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by x_lk View Post
    Does your laptop come with any intel integrated graphics chip? If not, I guess you don't need the fix at all.

Yes, there is an intel integrated graphics chip.

Dominik

Beans

@de_Selby :

Thanks for your step by step instructions to recompile the kernel.
    There is one error for the first patch. I made the update manually.

I managed to compile the new i386 kernel, but this changes nothing.
    Graphics are not activated 9 times over 10 with my HP 8440p / Nvidia 3100
    I pray for this issue solved in Natty, otherwise I must either return to Windows or throw my new laptop away...

Thanks for your help !

Tintinux
    Last edited by tintinux; March 31st, 2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Error found.

Beans

This fixed it for me.

Only for 64 bit, I repeat 64 bit users only

It's a modified kernel designed to take advantage of dual core cpus and above. As well as the performance boost, it seems to have fixed the i915 error on boot.

Worked for me but results could vary. Needs testing.

Here is the link

http://duopetalflower.blogspot.com/2...ntu-amd64.html

**Edit**
    One issue I found is there doesn't seem to be support for vga switcheroo with this kernel, so it uses considerably more battery power on hybrid graphics systems.
    Last edited by sdemmitt; March 29th, 2011 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Found issue

Beans

Last edited by tintinux; March 31st, 2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Solved

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sdemmitt View Post
    This fixed it for me.

It's a modified kernel designed to take advantage of dual core cpus and above. As well as the performance boost, it seems to have fixed the i915 error on boot.

Here is the link

**Edit**
    One issue I found is there doesn't seem to be support for vga switcheroo with this kernel, so it uses considerably more battery power on hybrid graphics systems.
    Thank you! This seems to have fixed it for me as well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by sdemmitt View Post
    This fixed it for me.

Here is the link

**Edit**
    Hi, I built 2.6.38.2 with core2 optimizations with vga_switcheroo and have posted a blog about it here, http://duopetalflower.blogspot.com/2...-amd64_30.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Magnificent 7 View Post
    I had been toying with the idea of starting a Tecra M11 thread asking for reports on the type of stability issues I'd been experiencing, but will hang fire for a few days to see whether this solves the random freezing issues.
    Another lockup today, just after the first resume of the morning. X seemed to try to keep its head above water for a couple of seconds, with the briefest flash of a login screen before descending into The Eternal Blackness with Mouse Pointer. This may have been cruft leftover in the screen buffer after a resolution switch, tho. Not sure whether this maps onto the i915/proprietary/unavailable drivers issue under discussion here.

Curiously, the 'Ubuntu' splash, which had been reduced to an odd-looking top left (640x480?) representation after the softdep fix, returned to full widescreen after this morning's reboot.

Off to start a Tecra M11 stability thread. Thanks for the i915 tip anyway.

Beans

Is there a bug filed for this?
    Maybe I missed it --- I ran a few searches on https://bugs.launchpad.net with no relevant hits.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast