Thread: Scribus printing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Scribus printing

Sorry if this is not the right place to post this, but I cannot find anywhere on the internet to post for Scribus help. I am making greeting cards with Scribus (new to it, so with some difficulty). The card looks good on my monitor, centered, etc. But when I print (HP C4680) the card is not aligned on the hard copy the way it is on the monitor. In order for me to center the card, I actually have to move the print off of the fixed page on the Scribus screen. Half of the words on the right side of the card are missing (even though this looks ok in print preview). I don't understand what is going on here. Any suggestions or settings I need to do? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Scribus printing

Quote Originally Posted by Inisfad View Post
    Sorry if this is not the right place to post this, but I cannot find anywhere on the internet to post for Scribus help. I am making greeting cards with Scribus (new to it, so with some difficulty). The card looks good on my monitor, centered, etc. But when I print (HP C4680) the card is not aligned on the hard copy the way it is on the monitor. In order for me to center the card, I actually have to move the print off of the fixed page on the Scribus screen. Half of the words on the right side of the card are missing (even though this looks ok in print preview). I don't understand what is going on here. Any suggestions or settings I need to do? Thanks.
    They do have a wiki and a mailing list. Probably worth a try:

http://www.scribus.net/support

Beans

Try printing the Scribus document to a PDF first, then send that to the printer. That usually cures formatting and font issues in Scribus for me.

Beans
    Distro

Well, after 24 hours of hassling with this, and going back and forth on the Scribus mailing list, I regret to say that I am giving up on Scribus. Suggestions have been to use Adobe Acrobat, export to PDF, and an assortment of other tweaks that make this program, at least for me, kidn of unusable. So I am searching the internet for alternatives. Can anyone recommend another graphic design program for Linux that can be run directly from Linux, or do I need to research Windows programs that will run with Wine? Thanks for any suggestions.

Beans
    Distro

Just in case anyone is interested in this, I finally got a solution from the Scribus 'forum'. I have read on the internet that there are others who also have problems with margins, etc., in Scribus. The simple solution that was given to me (and which worked), was to finish your project, then export the project to PDF and save it. Then find the saved pdf (in Documents, or wherever you saved it) and double click on it. Ubuntu will open it (in ghostscript?) and you print it from there. This worked a treat, and it printed exactly the way it was laid out on the monitor. Of course, this does not solve why Scribus couldn't adhere to my margins, but I finally was able to print my project exactly the way I laid it out. Maybe this work around will help someone else.