Page 20 of 48 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Making Ubuntu Fast using RAM (updated and simplified)

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Making Ubuntu Fast using RAM (updated and simplified)

Quote Originally Posted by ifoo1337 View Post
    Has somebody tried this on 13.04 yet?

EDIT: Works fine on Xubuntu 13.04 amd64.
    Cool. Thanks for letting us know.

Beans

Works with Lubuntu 13.04 and latest updates.
    In addition, my home is included in the process (not a separate partition) and encrypted.
    I like to save what I need in another mounted partition
    I'm running everything on a 32 GB flash drive.
    thank you! this script is wonderful

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by smanet View Post
    Works with Lubuntu 13.04 and latest updates.
    In addition, my home is included in the process (not a separate partition) and encrypted.
    I like to save what I need in another mounted partition
    I'm running everything on a 32 GB flash drive.
    I hadn't tested the script with an encrypted /home before - nice to hear it works. Also cool that the 12.10 script still works on 13.04. Maybe I'll run it once or twice to make sure there's no minor changes I need, and add a 13.04 script, or just rename the 12.10 one. Thanks.

thank you! this script is wonderful
    No problem

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by terminator14 View Post
    I hadn't tested the script with an encrypted /home before - nice to hear it works. Also cool that the 12.10 script still works on 13.04. Maybe I'll run it once or twice to make sure there's no minor changes I need, and add a 13.04 script, or just rename the 12.10 one. Thanks.

No problem
    I'm quite new to Linux on RAM. I have 16 GB on my computer and I see that when my system came up, it took half ram has drive and the other half for programs.
    I tried in a virtual machine and I got the same behaviour. As I don't need so much RAM for the filesystem, is there a possibility to allocate, for example, just 4 GB to the virtual filesystem?
    Thank you again

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm quite new to Linux on RAM. I have 16 GB on my computer and I see that when my system came up, it took half ram has drive and the other half for programs.
    I tried in a virtual machine and I got the same behaviour. As I don't need so much RAM for the filesystem, is there a possibility to allocate, for example, just 4 GB to the virtual filesystem?
    Thank you again
    It's been a busy day, but I took a quick look and it appears that this is what's causing it:

Quote Originally Posted by http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/oneiric/live-boot.7..html
    ramdisk-size
    This parameters allows to set a custom ramdisk size (it's the '-o
    size' option of tmpfs mount). By default, there is no ramdisk size
    set, so the default of mount applies (currently 50% of available
    RAM). Note that this option has no currently no effect when booting
    with toram.
    Not sure if that last sentence applies in our case or not, but it sounds like what's happening. When I get some free time, I'll see if I can find where to set the parameter, and see if I can build it into the script.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by terminator14 View Post
    It's been a busy day, but I took a quick look and it appears that this is what's causing it:

Not sure if that last sentence applies in our case or not, but it sounds like what's happening. When I get some free time, I'll see if I can find where to set the parameter, and see if I can build it into the script.
    It's that for sure, as said I see this behaviour with any amount of RAM.
    It's just annoying to "loose" 8 GB in filesystem
    Anyway, take your time! I will also investigate if it's possible to setup a variable (maybe in GRUB?) to change that.
    Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

It's that for sure, as said I see this behaviour with any amount of RAM.
    It's just annoying to "loose" 8 GB in filesystem
    Anyway, take your time! I will also investigate if it's possible to setup a variable (maybe in GRUB?) to change that.
    Thanks!
    It took a bit of digging, but I think I got it. Assuming that you already ran the script, here's what you do from within the RAM session:

Code:
    $ sudo rchroot -O	#Mounts the original OS. You could just reboot into the original OS and skip this step
    $ vim /lib/live/boot/9990-overlay.sh

Change: cow_mountopt="rw,noatime,mode=755" to read: cow_mountopt="rw,noatime,mode=755,size=16384M"
    $ update-initramfs -u $ exit #Now we exit the chroot Reboot
    I would imagine that values such as size=16G would work too, but I've only tried it in megabytes.
    You may need to give it a bit less than 16 gigs, so try a few values and see how big you can get it without it dying on you.

If the RAM Session becomes unbootable, boot into your original OS and run the steps above again without the rchroot bit, as that's basically what you're doing.

Let me know if that works, and I'll see if I can add an option to the script to automate this.
    Last edited by terminator14; July 10th, 2013 at 04:32 PM.

Beans

Sorry, I was busy with the work and I didn't have time to look in here.
    Basically, what's doing that command?
    If I understood properly, shouldn't be the definition of the size of tmpfs?
    If yes, I think that in there I should specify likely 2G in my case (that is the current size of my tempfs + some little space for normal operation).
    Am I correct?
    In this way, I will have the other entire RAM free for programs execution.
    Also, I'm booting the system from a USB stick and if I just specify the size of the filesystem, it will run correctly in diverse systems.
    Thank you again

Beans
    Hidden!

The size of your root (/) mount point (where you are saving files to) is specified by the option I mentioned in the previous post. This seems to be an option for a mount command that the initrd ramdisk runs, and that is the easy way of modifying it without extracting and modifying the ram disk directly. Even if you set it to 16GB, if you only use a portion of that 16GB to save files, it will use the rest of that space for RAM. Yes, this does seem a bit unsafe in that if you write too much data to your RAM, you might run out of space for actual RAM to be used by programs, so a lower value than your max ram (16GB) would be advisable. Try it and see what values work.
    Last edited by terminator14; July 19th, 2013 at 02:47 PM.

Beans

I understood. I will try later on to change the size of it. I will try to give the minimum required to be operational, I think 3/4 GB are more than sufficient. And inter-portable too between current systems.
    I think it will be a good idea to ask, during the process, how much RAM you will dedicate for your FS (maybe after guessing how much will be the SQUASHFS).
    I will update soon! thanks again

Page 20 of 48 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast