Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 309

Thread: Making Ubuntu Fast using RAM (updated and simplified)

  1. #111
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Beans
    1

    Re: Making Ubuntu Fast using RAM (updated and simplified)

    Hello to all..

    I had similar problem with the grub not finding correct partitions to boot the ram session.
    The problem was that i had assigned labels to the partions and the script used those labels instead of uuids as supposed to.

    To fix the problem I changed the lines that set ROOT_UUID and BOOT_UUID from:
    Code:
    sudo blkid -o value $ROOT_DEV | head -1
    sudo blkid -o value $BOOT_DEV | head -1
    to:
    Code:
    sudo blkid -o value -s UUID $ROOT_DEV
    sudo blkid -o value -s UUID $BOOT_DEV
    That should get uuid even if label is set or not.
    I haven't tested without the labels, though.

    Nice script by the way. I was in process of making something similar to use with my nas system before I found this script.
    The main point for me with this script is that i can have non-persistent system to play with and to save my all ready worn out hdds of unnecessary read/writes.

  2. #112
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Beans
    3

    Re: Making Ubuntu Fast using RAM (updated and simplified)

    I meant I'd tried to build my own version of this, and attempted its results by many means, prior to you having done so successfully.

    Now, I ran it and it worked however, my SSD (Original OS) is more responsive due to squashfs compression causing a latency hit, throughput obviously is great, and my install is only 712mb it still starts in under 15sec. Can you so kindly make or tell me how to make it use something more efficient performance wise, for its filesystem?

  3. #113
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ho chi minh city
    Beans
    225
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Making Ubuntu Fast using RAM (updated and simplified)

    Quote Originally Posted by terminator14 View Post
    Your grub version looks good, but I've never heard of EasyBCD. Why do you have it and grub? What's is it configured to do?

    I've installed Windows 7 onto the first partition and Ubuntu precise X64 onto an extended partition, with no swap space in a VM. I've also installed EasyBCD in Windows.

    In order to attempt to replicate your setup, all I need now is to configure EasyBCD the same way yours is, and run the script on Ubuntu to see if I run into the same problem.
    I use easyBCD because it's easy to configure. And I reinstall windows more often than I do Ubuntu.
    Nvidia 525M and bumblebee 3.x

  4. #114
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Making Ubuntu Fast using RAM (updated and simplified)

    Quote Originally Posted by hakovala View Post
    Hello to all..

    I had similar problem with the grub not finding correct partitions to boot the ram session.
    The problem was that i had assigned labels to the partions and the script used those labels instead of uuids as supposed to.

    To fix the problem I changed the lines that set ROOT_UUID and BOOT_UUID from:
    Code:
    sudo blkid -o value $ROOT_DEV | head -1
    sudo blkid -o value $BOOT_DEV | head -1
    to:
    Code:
    sudo blkid -o value -s UUID $ROOT_DEV
    sudo blkid -o value -s UUID $BOOT_DEV
    That should get uuid even if label is set or not.
    I haven't tested without the labels, though.

    Nice script by the way. I was in process of making something similar to use with my nas system before I found this script.
    The main point for me with this script is that i can have non-persistent system to play with and to save my all ready worn out hdds of unnecessary read/writes.
    That is very interesting. Maybe that is the same problem tenmoi ran into earlier. In any case, thanks for providing the helpful information - that should definately make it easy to test and fix (especially since you provided the fix ) when I have some time to give it a try.

    Quote Originally Posted by tenmoi View Post
    I use easyBCD because it's easy to configure. And I reinstall windows more often than I do Ubuntu.
    Oh - now it makes sense. I'll play around with it a bit more, but it is more likely that your problem is the same as what hakovala had noticed, since, from the sound of it, all it would take is for a partition to have a label. Do your partitions have labels?


    Quote Originally Posted by love <3 View Post
    I meant I'd tried to build my own version of this, and attempted its results by many means, prior to you having done so successfully.

    Now, I ran it and it worked however, my SSD (Original OS) is more responsive due to squashfs compression causing a latency hit, throughput obviously is great, and my install is only 712mb it still starts in under 15sec. Can you so kindly make or tell me how to make it use something more efficient performance wise, for its filesystem?
    I'm afraid I can't help you there. When I got my SSD, I started using it instead of the script because the effort it took to look after my RAM based OS was not worth the minor (if any) speed advantage over running the OS from an SSD. While in theory, the speed difference between an SSD and RAM is great, in practice, the fact that decompression on the squashfs slows things down (depending on your CPU of course) and the fact that both methods are incredibly fast, making it hard to see a clear winner without benchmarks, makes the difference more or less negligible.

    Even in theory - I'm not sure what FS you could use over squashfs to make it more efficient.
    Last edited by terminator14; July 9th, 2012 at 02:18 PM.

  5. #115
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ho chi minh city
    Beans
    225
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Making Ubuntu Fast using RAM (updated and simplified)

    Quote Originally Posted by terminator14 View Post

    Oh - now it makes sense. I'll play around with it a bit more, but it is more likely that your problem is the same as what hakovala had noticed, since, from the sound of it, all it would take is for a partition to have a label. Do your partitions have labels?
    I had never labelled the partition until I installed 12.04. Here's for your info, anyway.

    /dev/sda5: LABEL="ubuntu" UUID="33624d05-2f07-4f4d-b7f4-729f6691e7c9" TYPE="ext4"
    Thank you for your time.
    Nvidia 525M and bumblebee 3.x

  6. #116
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Making Ubuntu Fast using RAM (updated and simplified)

    Quote Originally Posted by tenmoi View Post
    I had never labelled the partition until I installed 12.04. Here's for your info, anyway.



    Thank you for your time.
    Definately sounds like that could be the problem - my script might be handling labeled partitions poorly when it comes time to creating the grub menu. If so, and if it does this consistently, that's a pretty big problem since I would imagine it's not that uncommon to label a partition, given how easy it is to do. I won't know for sure until it stops being so busy at work and I have a chance to try it out, which unfortunately might not be for a couple of days.

  7. #117
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ho chi minh city
    Beans
    225
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Making Ubuntu Fast using RAM (updated and simplified)

    I edited the sh script according to post #111 and everything is fine now.

    Thank you all.
    Nvidia 525M and bumblebee 3.x

  8. #118
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Making Ubuntu Fast using RAM (updated and simplified)

    Quote Originally Posted by tenmoi View Post
    I edited the sh script according to post #111 and everything is fine now.

    Thank you all.
    Thanks for letting me know - I'll update it as soon as I have some time. Unfortunately, it's still crazy busy at work, and I still need to figure out how to transfer the script to a wiki since I can't update the original post anymore. Hopefully I'll get around to it soon.

  9. #119
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Making Ubuntu Fast using RAM (updated and simplified)

    I just tested my script on an OS with a labeled partition, and it turns out that it did have a problem creating the grub menu. hakovala's advice was exactly right, and the fix ended up being quick, simple, and effective. Thanks hakovala!
    Attached Files Attached Files

  10. #120
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Beans
    8

    Re: Making Ubuntu Fast using RAM (updated and simplified)

    Hello there!

    So reading through this has been incredibly interesting. Could you advise on whether or not it'd work with Ubuntu 12.10? I presume not, considering you have a different version for different Ubuntu Versions. What would need to be done to make the ubuntu 12.04 script work with 12.10?

    Really liking this idea. I can see a bright future for my PC.
    hah

Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •