Thread: Packard Bell EasyNote MZ35-U-005

Beans

[SOLVED] Packard Bell EasyNote MZ35-U-005 - Realtek ALC861-VD No sound from ear jack

Hi,

I've got Ubuntu installed on the Packard Bell EasyNote MZ35-U-005 notebook and was having sound working with alsa and pulseaudio, but the headphone jacks were not working.

After searching through, I did couple of things and now it works:

1. Installed latest version of realtek drivers. (Still didn't work)
    2. gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base and added "options snd-hda-intel model=dallas" (Still didn't work)
    3. Then I found one of the mixer control option
    File->Change Device->Realtek ALC861-VD (OSS Mixer)
    3.1 There is a PCM-2 (for my notebook) and it was way low. I slide it up, and presto, beautiful sound loud and clear on my earphone!

To be fair, I saw a link that mention about how the earphone audio would be soft, and I took that hint to double check with a LOUD audio test file that basically was 8hours long!

Anyway, I hope this helps you, 'cos it ended my 4~5 months wait for proper audio support!

Now Ubuntu 8.04 works perfectly on my notebook! ... oh wait, I still have to fix the ATI 200m graphics support to have proper compiz ... *dang* ... well, not perfect, but 98% anyway!

PS: I don't know for sure whether step 1 & 2 is needed, but I don't wish to undo and break a working system. So you may try hunting for the PCM-2 option before trying 1 & 2. Maybe the updated Realtek driver revealed the PCM-2 option. Post your findings and results.
    Last edited by SnappyU; July 28th, 2008 at 02:42 AM.

Beans

Re: Packard Bell EasyNote MZ35-U-005

UPDATE: I just enabled the ATI proprietary driver set and now Compiz effects works! The ATI driver used to cause the black screen boot up problem but has probably been updated.

Now the *whole* notebook is working just fine! Woo hoo! My transition to Ubuntu is complete!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

@SnappyU I have the same laptop as you and have installed Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala.
    Have you any new advice on getting the sound to come out of the headphone socket please?

Also how are you able to make the Ati driver work? I can run it downloaded from here http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...1&lang=English and it runs.

But still I can't get the Visual Effects to go to Normal and installing the Ati Catalyst control from the Software Centre. The Catalyst Control Centre say there is no hardware or no driver. But there is no driver in the "Hardware Drivers" menu.

Any advice appreciated. I am new to Ubuntu and have not used previous versions.

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JosephWheatley View Post
    @SnappyU I have the same laptop as you and have installed Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala.
    Have you any new advice on getting the sound to come out of the headphone socket please?

Also how are you able to make the Ati driver work? I can run it downloaded from here http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...1&lang=English and it runs.

But still I can't get the Visual Effects to go to Normal and installing the Ati Catalyst control from the Software Centre. The Catalyst Control Centre say there is no hardware or no driver. But there is no driver in the "Hardware Drivers" menu.

Any advice appreciated. I am new to Ubuntu and have not used previous versions.

Thanks
    I'm using 9.04 Jaunty on my Packard Bell. Karmic was too flaky on it so I reverted to Jaunty. In Jaunty, I have compiz working completely fine.

My suggestion is to use Jaunty.

Welcome aboard using Ubuntu!

Beans

I have the same laptop and I posted the solution to the sound problem here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1583184

Beans

Thanks James!

Beans
    Distro

Re: [SOLVED] Packard Bell EasyNote MZ35-U-005 - Realtek ALC861-VD No sound from ear j

It seems that because of the ATI Express 200m card in the MZ35 that ubuntu beyond 8.04 or 8.10 will not work with the ati graphics and falls back on the generic ubuntu driver.

That's why the 3d games I installed in 10.10 never worked properly and Google earth which works in my Windows 7 partition works but only shows muddled have hidden images in Ubuntu 10.10

I may try and install Hardy Heron just to see Google Earth working.

I came across important info here http://translate.google.de/translate...kard-bell.html to prevent hanging.
    Lubuntu 12.04 on Packard Bell BV EasyNote MZ35
    Debian 7.1 Wheezy on Asus EEE PC 1000h

Beans
    Distro

It appears the MZ35 really does work out of the box with 12.04.

The headphones work straight away and the 3D graphics work too!

Although small issue with Power Management causing wireless to cut out when running on battery. The advice here should help http://uselessuseofcat.com/?p=67
    Lubuntu 12.04 on Packard Bell BV EasyNote MZ35
    Debian 7.1 Wheezy on Asus EEE PC 1000h