Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music Store on Kubuntu

Beans

Music Store on Kubuntu

I read that there will be a plugin for Amarok to acces the Ubuntu One Music Store, but haven't heard anything of it since. Will the plugin be ready before 10.04 or when 10.04 launches? Or will there be another way to acces the Music Store from Kubuntu without installing Rhytmbox?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Music Store on Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    I read that there will be a plugin for Amarok to acces the Ubuntu One Music Store, but haven't heard anything of it since. Will the plugin be ready before 10.04 or when 10.04 launches? Or will there be another way to acces the Music Store from Kubuntu without installing Rhytmbox?
    As of now, there are only plugins for Rhythmbox and Banshee. If you or someone you know is interested in doing an Amarok plugin, please let me know and I'll be sure to get you in touch with the right people to help get that going. The Ubuntu One Music Store client code is written to be as reusable as possible to make building plugins for it much easier.

Thank you,

Joshua

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joshuahoover View Post
    As of now, there are only plugins for Rhythmbox and Banshee. If you or someone you know is interested in doing an Amarok plugin, please let me know and I'll be sure to get you in touch with the right people to help get that going. The Ubuntu One Music Store client code is written to be as reusable as possible to make building plugins for it much easier.

Thank you,

Joshua
    Ow, that's not what I heard.

But I can't write it, because I'm not good at programming (although I wish I was). Only if it's easy to write an Amarok-plugin, then I will try, but I don't know how easy that is.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Any news on this?
    Ubuntu Printer Support | Restricted Formats
    KDE 4.4 is amazing!
    I'm learning Ruby yay!

Beans

Yeah, any news on this?

If Canonical can't even write a simple plug-in for Amarok, how will we Kubuntu users ever drop the feeling of Kubuntu not being accepted by Canonical?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Yeah, any news on this?

If Canonical can't even write a simple plug-in for Amarok, how will we Kubuntu users ever drop the feeling of Kubuntu not being accepted by Canonical?
    We're trying to get in touch with the folks working on Amarok to see how we can make this happen. I don't have an estimate on when you might see something but we are trying to get Amarok support.

Thank you,

Joshua

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It is a shame that Kubuntu is treated like a second-class citizen. I have been using Ubuntu as my primary OS since 7.04 Feisty Fawn. After Hardy Heron, I haven't been all that happy with the changes going on with Gnome in Ubuntu and I switched to Kubuntu for my primary laptop. And, some things seem to be getting worse in Gnome. I just removed Ubuntu 10.04 from my second laptop and put on Kubuntu. Now both laptops are KDE-based.

I am much happier with KDE as the desktop environment for a variety of reasons. I also recommend Kubuntu to friends and family.

I'd like to support *buntu and purchase some music through the store. But, it doesn't seem to be possible. My sister would also like to purchase some music.

There is a bit of discussion about this over on the KDE forums:

http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=87245

It is also sad that Kubuntu isn't even listed as officially supported any longer and is now only a "recognized derivative" (it was officially supported up until Karmic).

http://www.ubuntu.com/project/derivatives

Is Canonical going to be shifting gears to only focusing on Gnome even more and letting KDE fall by the wayside?
    Last edited by undoIT; June 2nd, 2010 at 06:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by undoIT View Post
    It is a shame that Kubuntu is treated like a second-class citizen. I have been using Ubuntu as my primary OS since 7.04 Feisty Fawn. After Hardy Heron, I haven't been all that happy with the changes going on with Gnome in Ubuntu and I switched to Kubuntu for my primary laptop. And, some things seem to be getting worse in Gnome. I just removed Ubuntu 10.04 from my second laptop and put on Kubuntu. Now both laptops are KDE-based.

I am much happier with KDE as the desktop environment for a variety of reasons. I also recommend Kubuntu to friends and family.

I'd like to support *buntu and purchase some music through the store. But, it doesn't seem to be possible. My sister would also like to purchase some music.

There is a bit of discussion about this over on the KDE forums:

http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=87245

It is also sad that Kubuntu isn't even listed as officially supported any longer and is now only a "recognized derivative" (it was officially supported up until Karmic).

http://www.ubuntu.com/project/derivatives

Is Canonical going to be shifting gears to only focusing on Gnome even more and letting KDE fall by the wayside?
    Wait.. WHAT!? Kubuntu is no longer officially supported!??!?!?
    That IS bad news for me
    KDE 4.4 is amazing!
    I'm learning Ruby yay!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by piousp View Post
    Wait.. WHAT!? Kubuntu is no longer officially supported!??!?!?
    That IS bad news for me
    Yeah, not good. Not sure if it is just terminology or what, but I do wish Gnome and KDE were equally supported and represented. I wonder if the launching of "Project Timelord" late last year was in any way related to the impending demotion...

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/timelord

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, i just installed vanilla ubuntu on a vm, i you can certaintly see the difference in polish between ubuntu and kubuntu.
    KDE 4.4 is amazing!
    I'm learning Ruby yay!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast