Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.10 freezes during install

Beans

Ubuntu 10.10 freezes during install

I am trying to do a fresh install of 10.10 to run alongside Windows Vista. I have Vista installed on one HDD and told 10.10 to install on a 2nd HDD. So far so good. I get to the screen that asks "Who are you". I fill in the required information. The progress bar at the bottom moves along and says "copying files". Eventually all activity stops and it says"Ready when you are". Then it just sits there. The "forward" button stays grayed out. I've attached a screenshot of where it hangs. Also, it runs fine when I use LiveCD. Can anybody help please?

[IMG]file:///home/ubuntu/Desktop/Screenshot.png[/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 freezes during install

Remove the Capital V in the user name field, it should be all lower case & that should do it.

Beans

Woot! Thank you thank you thank you! It works

I thought it would be something simple

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

No problem, I made the same mistake.

Beans

Hi

I'm too facing the same issue(getting struct @ "who are you") even after using small case characters. I'm clicking on Login automatically.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Harsha

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You can't leave the password blank (if you have). A password MUST be entered and confirmed.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

I am also having the same problem - install freezes during "Who are you." And, yes, I have been doing the same thing with the upper case letter. Here's my question: What is the best way to install Ubuntu since it was interrupted in the middle of the install? I am installing it alongside of Windows 7. When I get to allocating disk space, it appears that Ubuntu is already installed, but I know that it did not finish installing. Any ideas? Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

Beans

This is the best and easy answer I have come across in google...this is the real works!!! Well Done

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation NOT SOLVED Ubuntu 10.10 freezes during install

I can't get it to finish the install. My problem is not like those previously mentioned.

Ubuntu 10.10 freezes halfway to three quarters of the way through the loading process.

I've tried it on two different machines. I can't get it to install on either a laptop or a desktop. (Both are only a couple of years old)

I've tried to let it take over the whole disc. I've tried specifying the partition. I've burned the disc from different sources, verified the Check sums, and tried every trick I could think of and it just locks up. I even tried loading the nVidia driver first.

I'm on my third day of working on this.

I can load Jaunty, Karmic, or Lynx with no problems. Maverick Meerkat just doesn't work. Sometimes the bar only gets a quarter of the way through the process and then BANG it locks up like a clam out of water.

I see tons of postings on the web for help on this same issue but have yet to see a solution.
    Last edited by Tankerdog2002; January 26th, 2011 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Text

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thumbs down SOLVED Ubuntu 10.10 freezes during install

OK I solved this dilemma.
    I loaded Jaunty again so I could access my MBR that was hosed from the previous 10.10 freeze mess. Then I went into Win-XP disc manager, formatted the free space, and rebooted.

I downloaded the alternate CD.iso, burned it, and used it to install Ubuntu 10.10 this time. I chose 'guided in lieu of 'manual. The alternate CD worked so much smoother. No glitches or hangups.

Seems to be working fine now. In fact, its lightening fast.
    Last edited by Tankerdog2002; January 26th, 2011 at 11:53 PM. Reason: text

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast