Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Ubuntu is not ready for prime time

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu is not ready for prime time

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    A PE is not a full OS, moreover, I know people who tried it and it didn't work (again depending on very particular hardware configurations apparently)
    Why would you want to run Windows off a flash drive? It's possible, as my friend Frak here has explained, but...... why?
    The above post definitely does not contain any sarcasm at all.

Beans

Overall I like the various ways of installing Linux software though in some cases it is slightly more of a hassle than it needs to be. I have been pleasantly surprised on a few sites that auto-detect I am running 64-bit Ubuntu and fire off a deb to me. So I have hope.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

When Apple finally releases its Mac app store, I know the tech "news" will hail it as this revolutionary way to distribute software to desktops and laptops, even though Linux distros have been doing this for over six years (Synaptic Package Manager and beyond).

Revolutionary ideas don't cut it, though, for consumers. They don't want originality. They want finesse and polish. The idea of centralized software distribution didn't originate with Apple, but I'm pretty sure the interface for it will be much better than the Ubuntu Software Center (or Add/Remove or Synaptic). It may even have ratings and reviews.

Seems this thread has gone off-topic, and I'm making it even more off-topic now.

To the original thread title: "readiness" for prime time is wholly irrelevant to whether people use an operating system. If someone encounters a Windows problem or even ten or a hundred Windows problems, rarely does she say "Oh, Windows isn't ready for prime time." She may say "I hate computers" or "I hate Windows," but obviously it's already in prime time, ready or not.

Beans
    Distro

oi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    When Apple finally releases its Mac app store, I know the tech "news" will hail it as this revolutionary way to distribute software to desktops and laptops, even though Linux distros have been doing this for over six years (Synaptic Package Manager and beyond).

Revolutionary ideas don't cut it, though, for consumers. They don't want originality. They want finesse and polish.
    Consumers also have to know it exists. One of Ubuntu/Linux's weaknesses and Apple's strength is ADVERTISING.
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    Believe it or not, Microsoft didn't get to where they are now by mudslinging.
    Interesting revisionist view of history...
    This is a signature. It is original.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Revolutionary ideas don't cut it, though, for consumers. They don't want originality. They want finesse and polish. The idea of centralized software distribution didn't originate with Apple, but I'm pretty sure the interface for it will be much better than the Ubuntu Software Center (or Add/Remove or Synaptic). It may even have ratings and reviews.
    linux mint package manager ALREADY has ratings reviews and is polished quick and awesome.

beew is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    I'm sorry, Your Mileage Might Vary. Even then, Windows was not made to run from a flash drive, and as you can see from the umpteen billion users, that design is doing them just fine.

Then why did you say that you gave an A+ to Windows 7 usb installation? The original poster you replied to was clearly talking about portability and usb installation of windows 7 is not portable because you can only do it in one machine. Now you basically say that Windows is not even meant to be portable then why argue in the first place?

I am sorry if I miss your point because honestly I couldn't find any except an attempt to spin for MS.
    Last edited by beew; December 22nd, 2010 at 08:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Then why did you say that you gave an A+ to Windows 7 usb installation? The original poster you replied to was clearly talking about portability and usb installation of windows 7 is not portable because you can only do it in one machine. Now you basically say that Windows is not even meant to be portable then why argue in the first place?

I am sorry if I miss your point because honestly I couldn't find any except an attempt to spin for MS.
    Frak was talking about INSTALLING Win7 from a flash drive. Not running it.
    The above post definitely does not contain any sarcasm at all.

Beans
    Hidden!

usb installation of windows 7 is not portable because you can only do it in one machine.
    Not true. As long as a unique/legal product key is used on each installation, you can use that usb device over and over. It's not the windows files/discs you are paying for, it's the license. I know this, as I have my own computer business.

Many repair shops use the same discs over and over to reinstall, but enter the product key that's on the computer.
    Last edited by johntaylor1887; December 23rd, 2010 at 04:17 AM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567