Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu is not ready for prime time

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Ubuntu is not ready for prime time

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    And if ATI released bad drivers for Windows? You would blame ATI!!!!
    If a driver does not work in Ubuntu they scream " ITS UBUNTU'S AND CANONICAL'S FAULT!" like they developed the driver or something. But if this is on windows " YOU DRIVER DEVELOPERS CAN'T DO ANYTHING RIGHT!" . People are weird.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Freedom is measured in Stallmans.
    Projects: gEcrit

Beans

I know. It is just what I mean. We have to crawl before we can stand.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

He isn't totally off the mark. You have to remember, not all of us are bonafied Linux geeks... Though hopefully Ill get there soon.

One thing Ive learned is to not jump at the newest updates for my main laptop. Every major Ubuntu update has put me in the forums to find and request fixes. Usually after about a week all is well.

Right now Xubuntu 10.04 is working beautifully on my T42 so I'm just going wait awhile. I will be loading 10.10 on my dirty notebook. This is how I learn Linux and hopefully be able to help others with their issues and help them realize what an awesome OS. this is.
    Last edited by Nylo; October 12th, 2010 at 01:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

yes, "stupid bin"

Some folks call it like it is, bummer.

SO - please remember that not everyone is a PRO. And i think it is safe to say even us noobs WANT Ubuntu to work...it just doesn't in a lot of ways.

And if you all want all us noobs to go away so you can have your OS all to yourselves let us noobs know and I guess we will all have to give up on Linux because we are just not wanted.
    Excuse me, I am a NOOB!

Been using Ubuntu for 10 months, tops.

and I have not had a single issue i could not figure out on my own or with the support here.

For 10 months~ Ubuntu has "worked" perfectly.
    I couldnt be happier with an OS.

and 10 months ago, I had never even touched a Linux system!

So, That "n00b" thing isnt going to work.
    nor will the "you guys are elitists"

and Im not the only n00b here who is having the same great experiences with Ubuntu.

Like the quote I saw here one time~
    " Linux is not user-friendly. It _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly."
    or

"Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about who it's friends are"
    . lol

and seriously..
    I setup elderly people, and young children with Ubuntu..
    and not one of them has had any real issues!

Take that as you wish. O_o

But if people ages 9 to 89 can manage it without any problems,
    that speaks volumes about some of you.

I must be trying to be "elite".

right, elite n00b. doh
    Last edited by Rasa1111; October 12th, 2010 at 02:12 AM.
    5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by 1Dagars1 View Post
    You know, i have liked Ubuntu. And i guess i still do. I also look forward to the day I can completely say goodbye to Windows. And no - that day is not here...and i don't know when if ever it will be. Ubuntu is still /fail in regards to high-end graphics cards and wireless network adapters. And before you elitists start to ridicule me just like the person that started this thread most likely out of frustration because they just tried to upgrade to 10.10 and had a complete melt down just like I had...it is unreasonable to sugest that I dump or swap my very nice 1Gb graphics card just to run Ubuntu. I have already accepted that i will have a permanent ATI watermark in the bottom right portion of my screen.

to you elitist out there suggestion that the person who posted this article is stupid, i.e. "No, it belongs in the stupid bin(or at least this part does):" please consider that there are probably thousands of people very supportive of Ubuntu to the point that they could not wait to for the recent upgrade, that just had their system blow up in their face because Ubuntu just released a not-so-ready-for-prime-time upgrade that it claims is simple.

And yes, i did read the upgrade suggestions/instructions and actually followed them. And it still blew up. luckily i dual-boot with Windows and that still works fine. However, I can no longer boot to Ubuntu in my sony vaio i3 laptop with the Ubuntu hated Nvidia 320m graphics card. And i am going to hold off on upgrading my main system until the install bugs get worked out.

Before last night when i upgraded everything worked great, then the installation hung at 20 min remaining as it was updating some python files, and now nothing. I can't even boot from CD, install Wubi, nothing. Now i am looking at having to completely wipe the HD and reinstall everything including the LAMP i had set up because Grub is so temperamental when it comes to reformatting partitions on Dual-boot systems. Big fun for hours and hours.

SO - please remember that not everyone is a PRO. And i think it is safe to say even us noobs WANT Ubuntu to work...it just doesn't in a lot of ways.

And if you all want all us noobs to go away so you can have your OS all to yourselves let us noobs know and I guess we will all have to give up on Linux because we are just not wanted.

Stupid bin? I guess we should thank you for your support through this trying upgrade???
    If you find googling for a .exe or .msi file to install an application easier than simply launching a secure, integrated application and searching there, and then installing the application without going through a mostly useless "wizard," you are stupid.

Not to mention the fact that all updates are handled through a single interface as well, as opposed to Windows where each application has to implement some kind of update service on its own, if the developer decides it's even worth his time to do so!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You have to keep in mind that different parts of the system are at different stages of development for each release. Given what the Ubuntu Developers have to work with at any given time, things generally turn out pretty good.

The Maverick release to me is a glimpse of what the future holds. I will not get into great detail but things like the Software Center, Ubuntu One, songs and apps for purchase, the Ubuntu fonts,
    the Me Menu, the new look, etc are steps in the right direction.

Quality is improving rapidly and development of needed technology is progressing at a good pace. The whole idea of releases right now is to meet certain goals that are set, these goals being met will lead to increased market share. Ubuntu is gearing up for prime time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

C'mon, too much energy wasted in this trhead. Nothing useful to do here.
    What's even more important than free software? - OPEN FORMATS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Wink Re: Ubuntu is not ready for prime time

Quote Originally Posted by Rasa1111 View Post
    it's good thing we are all entitled to our own opinions.

My 10months of Ubuntu experience is pretty much completely opposite of what you have said.

Bummer.
    Just not mine. lol
    I'm a non-techie and old! But I've been on a PC since Radio Shack came out ahead of IBM! I've been exclusively Ubuntu for 5 years now. My son bought me a new HP AMD screamer with all the frills...and Windows 7. I have two (2) HP pavilions side by side. One on Windows 7 and one up to date with Ubuntu. I do daily maintenance on Windows to get it to stay "up" and in the last 4 months has crashed 3 times seriously enough to reformat my 3Tb. Hard drive. Ubuntu? cruises.
    --> I think that if you're willing to be 'open' and do your own research, Ubuntu tops Windows 7 hands down in reliability, stability and less maintenance...(speed all around is better, too).
    Windows is necessary for the big vendors 'cuz everyone writes for Microsoft. It's good for simply tuning in if you're not a techie.
    We owe Bill Gates a huge debt of gratitude for what he started and did with "PCs." We can't compare Microsoft to, well, frankly anything else because it was the visionary and did what it took.
    I love the philosophy of Ubuntu and also believe "it just works."
    ---> Take that to the bank. See ya, guys.
    PS: FYI (if you're interested) I do two backups for each machine constantly, now. Each one is 654Gb. and climbing so it's no small task for either system. Rock on!
    S

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You know, for the record the only reason i jumped onto this thread was because i do not think it is right to anonymously call people stupid. And i agree - to much energy spent on this thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Full Disclosure: I've been using Linux and FreeBSD since about 2000, and Ubuntu since 7.x back in 2007. I've been following up the development of all these through the years.

From comparing various Linux distros, Ubuntu really is the one that comes as close to being a "desktop" OS as Linux can get, in terms of user-friendliness, polish, and features of interest to desktop users. For what it's worth, Canonical is doing a rather good job of it and that's reflected in Ubuntu having the largest user base of any Linux distro.

Now there are certain things that do suck and will probably continue to do so for a while. All the ones I can think of happen to be out of scope from Canonical's perspective, so someone else is at fault. In other words, if these things annoy you, make sure you know who is responsible and let that group know instead of Canonical.

A semi-short list:

* Flash. It sucks on windows, it sucks on linux, and it's full of holes waiting to be exploited. And adobe has no clue when it comes to fixing said bugs. Luckily for us, HTML5 may be of help here. Sadly flash is everywhere so it's not going away any time soon..

* Binary blob drivers and manufacturers who do not release source code or specs. Have an Nvidia or ATI card? Then you are either running a limited open-source driver or the binary-only one from your card maker. Thanks to the closed-source policy, bugs here get fixed slowly and often can't be fixed at all on the open-source side.

* ALSA, often called an 'abomination' on slashdot and similar sites. Year after year I watch ALSA fail miserably at even basic audio duties, for every computer that has it installed. Sadly, there is not much of an alternative for some people here (OSS does not have drivers for some hardware, etc) so ALSA is here to stay and give people headaches for some time yet.

* Patents, now used by commercial entities to stall development in the open source world. These are a legal assault on software quality and involve no developers, except the ones trying to get around said patents. Boycott Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, and the rest of the companies peddling these things.

...and that should be enough to make the point. IMHO, Canonical itself is guilty of none of these and has little control over them so again, please find out who the guilty party is before you start the flame war.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast