Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu is not ready for prime time

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu is not ready for prime time

I agree with the above statement that we're all entitled to our opinion.
    Though some things may need to thought about before ranting and raving.

Quote Originally Posted by carboto View Post
    3. It just does not work
    Ubuntu has a different philosophy when it comes to third party software installation. For windows and mac, I just download the application and basically click through a series of steps through the installation and it's done! Simple and intuitive. Ubuntu, on the other hand, is going backwards in user friendliness because users need run commands to install specific applications. Sudo, apt, blah blah blah are too technical and simply unneeded. Of course, we can use the software center to do the same. But it is still not as convenient as it is on windows or mac.
    As mentioned you can install software from the software center, when was the last time you saw Windows providing a default app to download all the free softeare you want. Also if by some strange chance you can't find what you want it the software center, you can download an deb package to in install from...
    But it is still not as convenient as it is on windows.....
    probaly the equivalent to downloading an exe package in Windows.

It has been a frustrating experience just to install and get it running. Judging from questions user ask in the forum, the general feeling is that many users experience different kinds of problems. In fact, it should be branded as beta software due to the many bugs and issues that are yet to be fixed.
    As if Windows never has any problems. At least theres plenty of support here in the Linux community.

And the end of the day just compare the price of Windows and Mac to the price you paid for Ubuntu. I know who I'd be complaining to about stuff not working, especially when you've spent good money on it.
    Ubuntu 16.04 / Linux 18
    “To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows
    box, you just need to work on it”.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Run command in terminal? And you think that googling and hunting after programs in windows hoping you won't get any virus is superior to the safe and virus free Ubuntu Software Center and repository? I really do not understand you.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Freedom is measured in Stallmans.
    Projects: gEcrit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by carboto View Post
    Dear Ubuntu,

I think you are not ready for me or the mass. Here are the reasons why:

1. Installation bugs and quirks
    The USB installation method is picky on what kind of flash drive I use. For some flash device, it works straight away and installation proceeds as per normal. But some others, it gets stuck at the boot screen showing this line: "Syslinux 4.02 2010-07-21 EDD Copyright (C) 1994-2010 H. Peter Anwin et Al"

2. Graphical issues
    I guess the installer failed to detect the graphics card used in the laptop. Mine is a Sony Vaio Y with Core i3 UM. So it just shows blank screen while outputting the display to an external monitor. I have to connect to a monitor through the VGA cable. Installation complete, great!! But after first boot, I tried to change the display setting to output to the laptop screen instead. Both screens go blank and I have to do a hard reset.

Hard-resets don't usually mean data loss or corruption anymore with a file system journal - so it's nothing to get worked up about.

3. It just does not work
    Ubuntu has a different philosophy when it comes to third party software installation. For windows and mac, I just download the application and basically click through a series of steps through the installation and it's done! Simple and intuitive. Ubuntu, on the other hand, is going backwards in user friendliness because users need run commands to install specific applications. Sudo, apt, blah blah blah are too technical and simply unneeded. Of course, we can use the software center to do the same. But it is still not as convenient as it is on windows or mac.

Ubuntu is a compilation of software packages.
    'sudo' gives the program you want to use administrator privileges.
    'apt-get install' is part of the package 'apt' to fetch + install packages from Ubuntu servers.

None of those are too technical to understand and all are very needed.
    What do you mean on Windows and Mac? What are you using to install software from the internet on Windows/Mac?

It has been a frustrating experience just to install and get it running. Judging from questions user ask in the forum, the general feeling is that many users experience different kinds of problems. In fact, it should be branded as beta software due to the many bugs and issues that are yet to be fixed.

Why do websites like 'MacFixIt' exist?
    http://reviews.cnet.com/macfixit/

Or websites like 'Knowledge Base' and Support (support.microsoft.com)?

I believe Ubuntu needs to modernize itself. There is hardly any significant change in this edition. In fact, Ubuntu from 4.10 to 10.10 anchors itself in its linux root and debian, and such anchoring in past legacy prevents itself from doing a paradigm shift towards modernity.

That's because this edition is six months after the LTS. What would you expect if Microsoft or Apple released a new OS every six months?

Regards,
    Carboto
    Just my 2 cents.
    - Justin Reno
    Need an easy way to store files publicly or even privately without hassle over the internet to be accessed anywhere? Try Dropbox. Use this link to get an extra 250MB of storage!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You know, i have liked Ubuntu. And i guess i still do. I also look forward to the day I can completely say goodbye to Windows. And no - that day is not here...and i don't know when if ever it will be. Ubuntu is still /fail in regards to high-end graphics cards and wireless network adapters. And before you elitists start to ridicule me just like the person that started this thread most likely out of frustration because they just tried to upgrade to 10.10 and had a complete melt down just like I had...it is unreasonable to sugest that I dump or swap my very nice 1Gb graphics card just to run Ubuntu. I have already accepted that i will have a permanent ATI watermark in the bottom right portion of my screen.

to you elitist out there suggestion that the person who posted this article is stupid, i.e. "No, it belongs in the stupid bin(or at least this part does):" please consider that there are probably thousands of people very supportive of Ubuntu to the point that they could not wait to for the recent upgrade, that just had their system blow up in their face because Ubuntu just released a not-so-ready-for-prime-time upgrade that it claims is simple.

And yes, i did read the upgrade suggestions/instructions and actually followed them. And it still blew up. luckily i dual-boot with Windows and that still works fine. However, I can no longer boot to Ubuntu in my sony vaio i3 laptop with the Ubuntu hated Nvidia 320m graphics card. And i am going to hold off on upgrading my main system until the install bugs get worked out.

Before last night when i upgraded everything worked great, then the installation hung at 20 min remaining as it was updating some python files, and now nothing. I can't even boot from CD, install Wubi, nothing. Now i am looking at having to completely wipe the HD and reinstall everything including the LAMP i had set up because Grub is so temperamental when it comes to reformatting partitions on Dual-boot systems. Big fun for hours and hours.

SO - please remember that not everyone is a PRO. And i think it is safe to say even us noobs WANT Ubuntu to work...it just doesn't in a lot of ways.

And if you all want all us noobs to go away so you can have your OS all to yourselves let us noobs know and I guess we will all have to give up on Linux because we are just not wanted.

Stupid bin? I guess we should thank you for your support through this trying upgrade???
    Last edited by 1Dagars1; October 12th, 2010 at 12:52 AM.

Beans

And if ATI released bad drivers for Windows? You would blame ATI!!!!

Beans

I merely expression my opinion on the issues that I experience and how I perceive ubuntu. And users have different experience due to the different hardware specs. Some users try to defend Ubuntu. Truth is from Ubuntu 4.10 to 10.10 remain a niche OS. And I think it won't change in version 20.20 if it anchors itself in past legacy. Obviously, if the goal is mass adoption, Ubuntu does not succeed in that regard.

I did mention software center in post as a convenient way to install software. But when you have technical problems, getting help from the community means that it sometimes necessitate the use of commands.

The "mass" tends to be stupid. In that sense, there is NO operating system ready for it. Or have you ever seen a windows install without problems? I haven't.

Keep complaining instead of doing your own learning and you will remain part of the (stupid) mass.
    I would consider myself technically inclined. At least, I could install windows and snow leopard on my machine. I haven't figured out how to do Ubuntu though. And the so-called "not stupid" mass haven't provided solution to the issues I mentioned.

Beans

I honestly believe you had those experiences. However now you are being rude and willingly misinformed. You obviously do not want it to work, so I do not want to help you.

Rock on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am not letting ATI off the hook - they truly are fully to blame. My post however is in regards to following all the upgrade instructions and the 10.10 upgrade completely crashing my install to the point of starting over from scratch as i cannot even boot from a cd to put back 10.04 or any of the files i saved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Every time a new version comes out .. you get someone that has all of 10 posts or less coming on with some form of rant about (Really non-existent) problems. (some that could have been solved by asking a question) And the post usual FUD about terminal (CMD in Windows .. in case some do not know .. it EXISTS THERE, TOO!) Some are even PAID to rant by their employer (think you know which employer).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I agree! and that employer you refer to can take a running leap of the highest building. And...Cmd line rocks. But the hours it takes to fix a bad upgrade is painful. i am not suggesting even that ranting is okay - I am only suggesting that perhaps a little compassion over the next week or 2 as people may be a little upset. I for one will not give up on Ubuntu as I dearly love it.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast