Thread: laptop fan running like mad

Beans

laptop fan running like mad

Hi,

I have a Pengolin Penguin laptop from System76 (panp7). I re-formatted the system partition, and installed Ubuntu 10.10 from scratch yesterday. I applied all updates. The fan runs quit a lot, at what sounds like full throttle, pretty much continuously. System Monitor says there's very little cpu load. I went to the bios setup menu on booting, and found no ACPI/APM/power mgmt settings.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,
    Dave

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: laptop fan running like mad

Hi Dave.

You might want to make sure the ATI proprietary Drivers are installed. If they are, then you probably have a dust bunny in your heat sink.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dstrozzi View Post
    Hi,

I have a Pengolin Penguin laptop from System76 (panp7). I re-formatted the system partition, and installed Ubuntu 10.10 from scratch yesterday. I applied all updates. The fan runs quit a lot, at what sounds like full throttle, pretty much continuously. System Monitor says there's very little cpu load. I went to the bios setup menu on booting, and found no ACPI/APM/power mgmt settings.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,
    Dave
    After you re-installed ubuntu, did you also install the System76 driver? The latest driver is http://planet76.com/repositories/sys...iver-2.6.1.deb from http://planet76.com/repositories/

Beans

Hi isantop,

I did not have the ATI driver activated. That solves the problem! You are a prince among men!