Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remove dual-booted windows or not ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Remove dual-booted windows or not ?

Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I'm thinking of geting rod of windows completely and just have 10.10 or maybe 10.10 and another distro dual boot. Wanted some opinions of loosing windows, feel a bit scared to get rid completley and I'm not sure why :-S
    Perseverance will succeed (usually)
    ubuntu user -32597 - linux user - 526569
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Windoze

If you are not ready to get rid of it yet, then dual-boot for the time being:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you do decide to get rid of satan do some reading first. Grub2 can take exception to a missing partition and leave you needing to re-install grub2.
    ie an unbootable system!
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

Dual-boot and when you finally have no reason what so ever to boot into Windows then you may just be ready to take the plunge

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The thing is I've been dual booting with 10.04 and I never boot into windows, could do with the extra space, and with the arrival of 10.10 I thought I may as well just do a fresh install and completely remove windows
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans

Hi Hippytaff,

Well I understand your fear, I was like you for about 2 years. What you have to ask yourself is why you want to leave Windoze and what are your needs with a computer.

If you play a lot, I don't recomend to leave windoze, many people will tell you that it is possible (and it is) but it requires a lot of headaches to make games turn with wine.

If you use a specific soft you must verify that the same soft (or an equivalent that does what you need) exists on Linux, most of the time this is the case, or can be adapted with wine again.

Finally in my case this transition was slow because I used to play with my computed (almost never now) and that I had all the time the double boot and I was almost all the time tempted to boot windoze and Ubuntu only to repair windoze . I have completelly changed to Ubuntu when I needed to reinstall windoze seven and I had an issue, I even wanted to repair that issue and I just decided to erase my NTFS partition and that it is.

I have to admit that previous to this decision my job was going on a Ubuntu machine that let me get real used to the system and everything.

So good luck with your decision

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've just gone for an Ubuntu only and wiped Vista. Don't miss it at all as I had no special software requirements. No more tedious lengthy Windows updates plus re-boot, no more anti-virus updates.
    With 10.04 I can be surfing in 45 secs from booting up and that includes entering p/w!!
    Have enabled firewall,I use mywot http://www.mywot.com/ and don't grab debs from dodgy sites.

I'm pleased I took the plunge and used this partitioning guide (I need screenshots!!) http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2010/05/26...-ubuntu-10-04/

Cheers.
    Richard

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hippytaff View Post
    The thing is I've been dual booting with 10.04 and I never boot into windows, could do with the extra space, and with the arrival of 10.10 I thought I may as well just do a fresh install and completely remove windows
    Well then you won't miss it when it's gone then

pricetech is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

If it makes you feel better, you can always install Virtual Box and run windows in a VM if needed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Cheers everyone...might just throw causion to the wind and go for it
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast