Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: torrent seeding problem

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    192

    torrent seeding problem

    I have downloaded the 10.10 i386 iso using Transmission. I left the torrent with a ratio of only 0.65 as I had other commitments, and when I later tried to use my iso to seed the torrent, Transmission gave the error message "couldn't add corrupt torrent". The md5sum is correct, so what have I done wrong?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Beans
    12,497
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: torrent seeding problem

    Have you moved the ISO file using Nautilus?

    Have you tried to re-check the torrent from Transmission torent options?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    192

    Re: torrent seeding problem

    Have you moved the ISO file using Nautilus?
    No, it is in Downloads.

    Have you tried to re-check the torrent from Transmission torent options?
    There is no torrent in Transmission, so I have no options available. I presume I am wrong in just trying to launch my file in Transmission. Do I need to relaunch the torrent from the Ubuntu site? and if so will the ISO download again which would defeat the purpose of the exercise?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Beans
    12,497
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: torrent seeding problem

    Quote Originally Posted by florus View Post
    There is no torrent in Transmission, so I have no options available. I presume I am wrong in just trying to launch my file in Transmission.
    You can't do that. You need to load the torrent file in Transmission, not the downloaded ISO.

    Quote Originally Posted by florus View Post
    Do I need to relaunch the torrent from the Ubuntu site?
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by florus View Post
    and if so will the ISO download again which would defeat the purpose of the exercise?
    No, Transmission will detect that the ISO file exists and will re-check it. Once re-checked, the torrent will be listed as 100% and the seeding will begin.

    Next time don't delete the torrent file and don't move the downloaded ISO if you plan to seed it.
    Last edited by lovinglinux; October 11th, 2010 at 03:51 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    192

    Re: torrent seeding problem

    Thanks, lovinglinux, it all makes sense now. I have not used torrents before, and have a great aptitude for trying to do things the wrong way.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Beans
    12,497
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: torrent seeding problem

    Quote Originally Posted by florus View Post
    Thanks, lovinglinux, it all makes sense now. I have not used torrents before, and have a great aptitude for trying to do things the wrong way.
    See my tutorial BitTorrent optimization and troubleshooting guide. It explains how BitTorrent works, among other things.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •