Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Serval Professional (Serp6): Fans, Suspend, and Hibernate

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Serval Professional (Serp6): Fans, Suspend, and Hibernate

Ooops, I forgot to include the URL for the Article I mentioned. The URL Is: http://kerneltrap.org/node/22793

This is where I found the stuff about /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume and the UUID of the swap partition etc.

Beans

I've had a couple of people send me personal inquiries as to the status of my Serp 6 and wanting to know what actually was happening. I'm sorry to have checked out on people. I'm working on a startup and I have 4 weeks left to implement an entire social media appplication... by myself minus the UI. I'm very busy to say the least.

System 76 sent me a couple of RAM chips on the off chance that I might have 2 bad RAM cards. It was a long shot but they were trying to be helpful in my situation by not making me send in the laptop to get it repaired. It turns out that the issue is probably some place on the motherboard and I am going to have to send it in. System 76 is even going to pay the postage. Really good, friendly service.

But for me, in my current situation, I can't go without a computer. So I'm in the process of ordering another system. After I get it and set it up to do my work, I will be sending in my Serp 6, along with all the extra RAM, for repairs. I have decided to keep the hard disk because of confidentiality reasons and because I don't believe there are any issues with it. I will then reinstall the hard disk after I get my laptop back. I also don't want to go through the hassle of setting it up again and System 76 was fine with this proposition.

So, I'm waiting on the next system, which is a desktop I'm building from my chosen components. I have pretty intense hardware requirements and building is much more economical than buying this caliber of hardware. The system I'm building would be at least $3,000 to buy from a vendor and I absolutely need a lot of speed. The parts are about $1,200 instead. I can put this system together in an evening and be up and running before I go to bed that same night. Hardware is easy, but setting up my development environment takes a lot of time.

So, I'll be sending in my Serp 6 in about a week after all my parts arrive. I'm also throwing a thank you to System 76 for working with me and trying to get it all resolved in as short a time as possible.

Beans

I'll try to keep things on topic because I've had a lot of other computer problems unrelated to the Serval. A couple of hard drive failures in other systems, a power supply failure... in short, really poor luck lately. I've actually had 4 hardware related failures in the last 2 months if you include the Serval: 2 at home, and one in a data center.

My Serval finally became totally unusable. I was limping along with it for 3 months. So I built another system and sent the Serval in for repair. Got it back in a little over 2 weeks. It seems to work perfectly. I'm still setting it up so I'm not using it regularly yet.

Thanks to System 76 for fixing it. It was sorely missed.

I've also had a couple of inquiries on running Slackware on it. Slackware runs perfectly. Feel free to ping me if you have any questions about it. I wiped out Ubuntu on mine. I'm 100% Slackware.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789