Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GeForce4 MX 440 Not Supported in Maverick Meerkat 10.10 Upgrade?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: GeForce4 MX 440 Not Supported in Maverick Meerkat 10.10 Upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
    A MX440 will run in vista, at least (possibly win7 but I havent tried that). With vista, you HAVE to us the built-in vista driver. BTW, the main reason why there is no offical support for the MX440 is because the MX440 is a DX7 card, vista + win7 need a DX9 cards, but vista with a MX440 worked for me (thats also the reason why the 3Ti and 4Ti card dont have offical vista/win7 drivers, they are only DX8 cards)

10.10 would have no problems supporting the 96.xx drivers right now if it was using xorg 1.8.x, and the 96.xx drivers should get a version that works with xorg 1.9 sooner or later.
    My point was that even the data sheet shows support only up to Win XP and that by modern standards, this is some pretty ancient hardware.

This idea that every modern linux distro has to support every old piece of hardware gets a little ridiculous at some point.
    24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not!

Trusty Tahr 64 bit, AMD Phenom II 955 Quad Core 3.2GHz, GeForce 9600 GT
    16G PC2-6400 RAM, 128 GB SSD, Twin 1TB SATA 7200 RPM RAID0

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Odds View Post
    If you want to run on really old hardware, use really old software.

That "promise" that you speak of can only be taken so far. Should 10.10 also have CGA support?

If you like the way that it worked with Lucid, you should keep using Lucid. It's an LTS and that means that you can use it for a long time.
    Yeah, I guess you are right. Every time a new release comes out, I'll go buy a new computer just to keep up.

Beans

My point was that even the data sheet shows support only up to Win XP and that by modern standards, this is some pretty ancient hardware.

This idea that every modern linux distro has to support every old piece of hardware gets a little ridiculous at some point.
    Data sheets can lie

I can sort of see your point, but lets face it- MX440s, and even older nvidia hardware, works fine in new linux distros. The only 'issue' here is the nVidia proprietary drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingHorse View Post
    Yeah, I guess you are right. Every time a new release comes out, I'll go buy a new computer just to keep up.
    This. I'm experiencing the same problem with my Geforce4 MX 420, and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. Couldn't there have been some kind of warning when upgrading, like another poster suggested? This hardware is perfectly adequate for a secondary desktop system. There's no reason why it shouldn't continue to be supported. I guess I'll be going back to 10.04 as soon as I have the time to fool with it. Until then, I'm back on Vista. [facepalm]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I faced a worse situation after I updated to Meerkat last night, X server wouldn't load at all. After going to recovery mode and switching to the generic driver just so I could see something on my desktop, I found a solution.At the Nouveau wiki http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/UbuntuPackages

I found after reading through a lot of warnings, if you simply remove whatever Nvidia proprietary driver you are using via Synaptic,then restart, the Nouveau driver that comes pre-installed in Meerkat, takes over after you reboot. So I did and I got my 1400 by 900 full monitor resolution back. The downside, no 3d acceleration (I didn't use it much anyway) and the screen flickers occasionally.The Nouveau driver is also stated in Synaptic as "experimental", so that seems to explain the flickering. I have a 7 year old Gateway running the Geforce 4200ti and it was previously using the NVidia GLX96 driver. I think what I did would probably work for the MX 440 too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

If you want to run on really old hardware, use really old software.
    Old software is full of security holes and bugs. The misconception that you must use old software to get the most out of old hardware stems from a proprietary mindset. Eg, if you want to run Windows software on a Pentium II you'll have to use Win98 (setting aside Wine or VM options). The beauty of Linux is you can run new software on old hardware, that's why distros like Puppy are so popular and why there's such an interest in projects like Lubuntu. Especially in less-developed countries where people use "old" stuff in general much longer (computers, cars, appliances, etc).

Anyway, I'm glad to see support is possible. I'll wait for it to come through the repos, for now 2d with the nouveau driver works fine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mocoloco View Post
    Old software is full of security holes and bugs. The misconception that you must use old software to get the most out of old hardware stems from a proprietary mindset. Eg, if you want to run Windows software on a Pentium II you'll have to use Win98 (setting aside Wine or VM options). The beauty of Linux is you can run new software on old hardware, that's why distros like Puppy are so popular and why there's such an interest in projects like Lubuntu.
    Umm.....apart from Win9X, any version of which would run a Pentium II, Win2K (OK, out of support now) and WinXP will run on a P2 with enough RAM (64MB+).

A P2 with 512MB is hardly going to be a speed demon with XP, but even a 128MB version would run....slowly, bit it will run.

Also, IMO, a lot of the reason why lubuntu does get as much intrest as it does is because of xubuntu being far slower and more RAM heavy than it could (should?) be.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Lightbulb Re: GeForce4 MX 440 Not Supported in Maverick Meerkat 10.10 Upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by mocoloco View Post
    Old software is full of security holes and bugs. The misconception that you must use old software to get the most out of old hardware stems from a proprietary mindset. Eg, if you want to run Windows software on a Pentium II you'll have to use Win98 (setting aside Wine or VM options). The beauty of Linux is you can run new software on old hardware, that's why distros like Puppy are so popular and why there's such an interest in projects like Lubuntu. Especially in less-developed countries where people use "old" stuff in general much longer (computers, cars, appliances, etc).

Anyway, I'm glad to see support is possible. I'll wait for it to come through the repos, for now 2d with the nouveau driver works fine.
    When I was talking about using "older" software, I wasn't talking about going back to Ubuntu -100. Perhaps using 10.04 might be appropriate since it works with this card and has quite a bit of time left on support.
    24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not!

Trusty Tahr 64 bit, AMD Phenom II 955 Quad Core 3.2GHz, GeForce 9600 GT
    16G PC2-6400 RAM, 128 GB SSD, Twin 1TB SATA 7200 RPM RAID0

Beans

Could someone post here again when the nvidia driver has been fixed, so I will know when I can switch back to it? I am currently using nv as a temporary solution, but it is problematic. Any video I try to watch (such as youtube) plays as a weird sped-up version.

Also, in order to switch back to the nvidia driver, all I need to do is change "nv" back to "nvidia" in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and restart, correct?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

mate - all you should need to do is activate the driver again - system>administration>additional drivers.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast