Thread: No Graphics Driver in Driver Manager

Beans

Exclamation No Graphics Driver in Driver Manager

Ok, so I just installed the relese of Maverick, and (once again) have hit a slight cache. My Graphics driver isn't showing up in the additional driver manager. I have maverick on a HP pavilion A520N (the graphics card is a Nividia Geforce 4 MX integrated). Help please!!!

On a completely unrelated note, I really like maverick, and think it leaves 7 and OSX in the dust.

EDIT: Also (a graphics driver problem), the pointer (displayed on screen) is out of sync with where it actually clicks when clicked. I've had the driver working in Lucid but it's just not working in Maverick.
    For a full signature / about me, see my website.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: No Graphics Driver in Driver Manager

I'm having the SAME exact problem as you. I'm very disappointed with 10.10

10.04 and before were great with the driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: No Graphics Driver in Driver Manager

I'm having the same issue with the same desktop model, owned by my parents. They've been using Windows XP for a while now, but since my mom depends on it for her graduate classes and my dad has had a history of badly infecting it with worms to the point of requiring the reinstallation of Windows, I figured I could give them some peace of mind having Ubuntu as a backup OS on there.

I had 10.04 installed, and my mom at least liked it very much. It looked weird and the mouse clicks were off until the drivers were installed from the Additional Drivers tool, but after that it looked and worked just great.

I wanted to upgrade them to 10.10 for a few different reasons (one of which being the ease with which Windows media codecs could be installed so my mom can listen to her lecture recordings), but I tried both a regular upgrade and a fresh install, and neither worked. The upgrade broke the graphics completely and the system could only start in a terminal, and doing a fresh install keeps us with the pre-driver install graphics of 10.04. The Additional Drivers utility now shows nothing, and checking nvidia's own site shows that they don't have the drivers I am looking for.

I am going to reinstall 10.04 for them for now...which I think is kind of a shame. This whole ordeal especially doesn't leave a good impression on my skeptical dad, who doesn't even see why I bother with it in the first place. I don't see why the proper graphics support still can't be present in 10.10.

I have loved using Ubuntu since 9.04, and it has always worked great for me on my relatively new desktop and laptop. I just wish it would work as well for older hardware too.