Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: touchpad erratic hp pavilion dm4

Beans

Unhappy touchpad erratic hp pavilion dm4

Hello,

I'm brand new to linux, a long-time mac user and hoping to get away from Apple. I have an HP pavilion dm4 and have installed 64-bit ubuntu 10.10.

The touchpad works fine in Win7 but is totally erratic in Ubuntu. If I put more than one finger on the touchpad, the cursor jumps all over the place erratically and randomly submits clicks. The right-click function of the touchpad also doesn't work.

In the mouse settings, the option for multi-touch is greyed out, but the touchpad is obviously still registering multi-touch info.

I've tried installing gsynaptics, but that doesn't help. I've also tried a few scripts provided by other people for enabling multi-touch when the option is greyed out, but that doesn't help. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the synaptics xorg touchpad driver with no luck.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Beans

Re: touchpad erratic hp pavilion dm4

Well I found your post looking for a solution to my own problems with Ubuntu 10.10(Maverick).

In my case right-double click was my main problem, and also some randoms left click by just putting my fingers in the touchpad, and I was able to fixed by going to System/Preferences/Mouse/Touchpad and de-selecting "Enable mouse clicks with the touchpad". I think the problem is that for some reason after a clean install, the touchpad got way more sensitive, I'm using third party drivers for my GMA500(Poulsbo) chipset, so I don't know is I should report this as a bug.

My laptop is a Dell Mini 10, with left and right clicks that you need to push down in the touchpad. It gonna take me some time to adapt to do the push down, but in the end will be better as this method is way less error prone.

Hope it helps.
    Carlos

Beans

Thanks for the reply. I did try disabling mouse clicks to no avail; the cursor would still jump around erratically. It must have something to do with the multitouch control information being sent by the touchpad.

Beans

I upgraded to ubuntu 10.10, with the distribution upgrade and it was fine yesterday, but i did the kernel updates today, as scheduled by the update manager, and i'm back to square one

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am having the same kind of problems. My HP DV7 the touchpad is all one section that inlucdes the buttons. If I try to click right or left the mouse will jump to that section. I am not able to drag and drop either. This bug is really driving me nuts.

Beans

So I've had this issue since 10.04. Last night I ran 10.10 via the LiveCD and the touchpad worked perfectly. I was so happy to see it working, so i erased my windows OS & installed 10.10. Now this issue is back. I hope someone can point us to a solution.

I am not running the same laptop though. I have a Lenovo Y550.

I just want to disable multitouch. This erratic behavior is ridiculous.

Beans

I solved (not completely) the erratic pointer of the hp pavilion dm4-1160us. I work a simple script to reconfigure the synaptics driver. You can find the code (post in English) here and (post in French, with code in zip file) there .

It's not perfect, the right click is missing but the left click is emulated with a short tap, the vertical scroll is on the right edge of the pad, and the pointer doesn't jump erratically.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have a Pavillion dm4-1060 ea running 10.10 with the same issues. Thanks to inphilly's script, the touchpad is much more useable.

Beans

This may not address the more complicated problems reported here, but the "case of the wild cursor" is easily solved in Windows 7. On my new HP Pavillion (DV7), it's just a case of touchpad sensitivity. If the sensitivity is set too low, all you have to is breathe on the pad for the cursor to go off into the wild blue yonder, all over the page. Here's the fix:

Start
    Control Panel
    Hardware and Sound
    Mouse
    Device Settings
    Settings
    Pointing (double-click)
    Sensitivity (double-click)
    Touch Sensitivity
    Move slider more to the right toward "Heavy"
    Apply
    OK

You probably knew this... just covering all the bases

Beans

I just bought a dm4t-1100, I installed ubuntu 10.10 64 bits on it and got the same crappy trackpad experience that others have described. inphilly's script helped somewhat, but it's still not very usable. I am using a separate mouse for now, but I guess I'll reinstall Windows (horror!) on it if I can't get this fixed, and then install ubuntu inside VirtualBox.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast