Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Partial Upgrade

Beans

Re: Partial Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    The problem is not the release date. It was like this with every release I remember.

An online upgrade is probably the most complicated of all operations one can do on a computer. The more the installation is tweaked, the more can fail. The developers have no chance to test all kinds of setup, so basically it is a shot in the dark.

The real problem is that people are encouraged to upgrade online without being properly warned of the risk. My guess is that most of them waste more time troubleshooting their upgrade than it would have taken to back up the data and do a fresh install.
    Honestly never had any problems doing online upgrades on other distros. Even so, it further exacerbates the issue if they don't at least bother to test the upgrade mechanism from a clean stock install of the OS. This is my case where I am sitting save for my own personal data which has absolutely 0 modifications on ubuntu's own code. Stock 10.04 ubuntu-desktop lamp-server.

And I really do not want to do a clean install as I just did it 2 weeks ago on this machine and any extended downtime, expected or otherwise, isn't in the cards considering how long it's been down already.

My comment about the release date is more to the idea that these few and fairly minor (but still terribly annoying) bugs should not even logically be affected by these in-place upgrades and I'm sure with a little more testing rather than rushing the release out the door just to hit the specific date they wouldn't even be an issue right now.

*shrug* May just have to jump in and do some hand massaging on this and do some investigating to fix these issues on my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

as I remember, this never happended before in Ubuntu upgrade

Beans

Same issue here. Upgrade has been performed via ssh and screen session. The welcome message is splitted into two sections, the first part (Ubuntu 10.10) is fine 0 updates and nothing about "System restart required" while the second section still welcomes me to Ubuntu 10.04 pretending that there is one update and a system restart required. Where is this "welcome" message being generated?

Beans

I have a similar issue. I upgraded to 10.10 using the Update Manager (via a VNC connection) but now when I log in via SSH I get this (these?) welcome message(s)...

Code:
    Linux HTPC 2.6.35-22-generic #34-Ubuntu SMP Sun Oct 10 09:26:05 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Ubuntu 10.10

Welcome to Ubuntu!
     * Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com/

0 packages can be updated.
    0 updates are security updates.

Ubuntu 10.10

Welcome to Ubuntu!
     * Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com/

684 packages can be updated.
    0 updates are security updates.

*** System restart required ***
    Last login: Thu Oct 14 20:32:49 2010 from router

Beans

I have not done any upgrade on my system and I am getting the same error message on my 10.04.1 LTS server:

"System information disabled due to load higher than 1"

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks for the link, it fixed my issue!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Vyizis View Post
    The system does not have a cd drive, monitor, kb or mouse its not so easy to test the system in a live environment. I don't think the issue has anything to do with a hardware incompatibility. I think the issue stems from me performing the upgrade using ssh and dropping the connection half way though. Unfortunately I didn't use screen the first time round so I had to start the process again.
    I do all my upgrades over SSH using screen, otherwise it's too risky.

Also, if I have a heavily customized system, that I don't want to lose, I take an image with Clonezilla before the upgrade. It is true that I need to attach keyboard, and monitor, but I think it's worth the trouble.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12